The Schreuder Era Starts and Ends: 2022-23 Ajax Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In the first half Ajax got the majority of possession, but in the second half at a given moment it was like 28% Ajax vs 72 Feyenoord, which was astonishing given the match we had to play on Thursday. I expected in the second half more Ajax possession because left energy levels at Feyenoord should be lower than that for Ajax.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You were lucky that Hartman was not sent off in the first half. Even Slot was breathing a sigh of relief that Makkelie did not card him for obstructing Kudus. In the second half he cards Sanchez for less of an infraction.

Deadtigers, BPBlueSox and richsavare repped this.
  3. Makkelie gave an explanation why it wasnot a second yellow card and it made sense. Less sense was no red cards for Idrissie and Kudus.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    did understand berghuis assists on both goals. shame he cant replicate his performances when it matters the most and in NT.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Idrissi should have been sent off and Kokcu should have been carded for pushing Makkelie.

BPBlueSox repped this.
  6. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #1206 BPBlueSox, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Watched his explanation and still think it had to be a yellow. Rules are rules, but Danny makes his own.

That being said, Feyenoord were deserved winners on the day. Not even sure Ajax would have won if Feyenoord were down to 10.

7. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Match on Thursday was a glorified scrimmage for Feyenoord though. They expended zero energy and it became target practice.

I thought the ref was bad but as Tadic said postgame, no excuse for the loss.

Credit Slot. He is a great coach. Pulling Hartman that early was a ballsy move. Tactically he did a great job. I am curious where he ends up next. I wish Ajax would've gotten him before Feyenoord did.

8. That would have ment dumping ten Hag;)
    Edit: not only that move, but at the end of the match making attacking subs too!!

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He had a very short track record with AZ (less than two years) and threw them under the bus by secretly negotiating with Feyenoord. That was very poor by both him and Feyenoord.

BPBlueSox repped this.
  10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Timing never worked out. But he is 100x the manager that Schreuder was.
    You could say same exact things about ten Hag. Short track record with Utrecht. I wouldn't be shocked if ten Hag was negotiating with Ajax while he was at Utrecht. Ugly part of the game but just what it is.

Let's win the Cup, finish 2nd. It'll be hard but doable.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ten Hag was hired by Overmars to take over Go Ahead Eagles (Overmars was a shareholder and that was his youth club) and he got them promoted to the Eredivisie the first year. He then moved to Bayern where he managed Bayern II before going to Utrecht. Ajax was up front with Utrecht and gave them compensation. Feyenoord did neither with Slot.

12. Slot was out going out of contract/he didnot extend his contract. It was AZ's choice to sack him immediately after it became clear he would join Feyenoord after the season. Slot only joined Feyenoord after the season ended.

13. Analysis of (unjustified) criticized Sanchez:
    https://www.footballtransfers.com/n...-sanchez-van-ajax-wordt-ten-onrechte-verguisd
    De Ajacied die ten onrechte wordt verguisd
    Milan Keskin Bijgewerkt: 20 mrt. 2023 15:29 CET

[​IMG]
    Ajax lijkt door de nederlaag tegen Feyenoord afgelopen zondag in De Klassieker definitief te zijn afgehaakt in de titelstrijd. Jorge Sánchez speelde misschien wel een van zijn minste wedstrijden sinds zijn komst naar de Johan Cruijff ArenA en kreeg na afloop dan ook de wind van voren van Kenneth Perez: “Hij is een van de slechtste backs van de Eredivisie"

“Die jongen snapt er helemaal niets van”, zegt de analist bij ESPN. Sánchez maakte alles behalve een degelijke indruk in De Klassieker en werd dan ook vlak voor tijd naar de kant gehaald: “Ik vind het knap dat hij kan spelen bij Ajax, dat de lat altijd hoog wil leggen.” Daarmee legt Perez de schuld bij Ajax. De Amsterdammers pikten de 25-jarige Mexicaan afgelopen zomer voor 5 miljoen euro op bij América, maar tot op heden is de komst van Sánchez alles behalve een succes.

Hij begon zijn periode bij Ajax nog als basisspeler, maar na de winterstop komt Sánchez amper meer aan spelen toe. Devyne Rensch lijkt de Mexicaan definitief te zijn voorbijgestreefd. Desondanks mocht Sánchez - mede door blessureleed van Rensch - zondag starten in De Klassieker. De verdediger maakte een uiterst ongelukkige indruk en dus was de kritiek na afloop dan ook niet mals.

Kenneth Perez uit kritiek op het transferbeleid van Ajax

"Hij is een van de slechtste backs van de Eredivisie" pic.twitter.com/wssbz0brpE

— ESPN NL (@ESPNnl) March 20, 2023

Toch is de kritiek van Perez niet geheel terecht. Data van FootballTransfers toont aan dat Sánchez wel degelijk van waarde kan zijn voor dit Ajax. De verdediger heeft tenslotte een Skill van 67,0 en blijkt zodoende beter te zijn dan Rensch (59,9). Het is dan ook niets voor niets dat Sánchez een basisplaats had op het WK in Qatar bij Mexico.

Data van SciSports laat hetzelfde beeld zien. Hoewel Sánchez zeker niet de beste backs is dit seizoen in de Eredivisie, behoort de 28-voudig international ook zeker niet tot de minst presterende backs in de competitie. Met name op het gebied van passing zorgt Sánchez zeker vaak voor gevaar bij de Amsterdammers. Voornamelijk rondom de zestien van de tegenstander weet de rechtsback vaak een teamgenoot te vinden.
    upload_2023-3-20_19-21-17.png
    Data van SciSports toont aan dat Jorge Sánchez zeker niet tot de slechtste backs van de Eredivisie behoort.

Toch gaan er ook zeker dingen mis bij Sánchez. Met name als er een dribbelactie ingezet dient te worden. Geen enkele back blijkt dermate weinig succesvolle dribbelacties in te zetten als de rechtsback van Ajax. Dat terwijl Sánchez het redelijk van het opkomen en het aanvallende spel moet hebben. In dat opzicht lijkt het voor Ajax logischer om Sánchez in een meer verdedigende rol in te zetten om de opbouw vanuit de basis te verzorgen.

Nee, Sánchez is duidelijk niet de slechtste rechtsback van de Eredivisie. De Mexicaan kwam afgelopen zomer terecht in een vreemd land op een vreemd continent en heeft vermoedelijk tijd nodig om zich aan te passen. Desondanks heeft Sánchez - met onder meer zijn doelpunt tegen Excelsior - laten zien dat hij zeker van waarde kan zijn voor dit Ajax in de toekomst.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For all those who pine for the days of Marc Overmars this one is for you!!!
    With some idle time on my hands today after the disappointment yesterday, I decided to go back to 2012 and tally up all the players that Marc Overmars brought into Ajax. He did pick some real winners that generated a lot of transfer money when they left but he also picked a lot of lemons. Some of the players signed were free transfers. Any way here is the list more less chronological:

Mike van der Hoorn
    Lerin Duarte
    Bojan Kirkic (loan)
    Tobias Sana
    Lasse Schone
    Andre Onana
    Nick Viergever
    Daley Sinkgraven
    Niki Zimling
    Arkaeiusz Milik
    Richairo Zivcovic
    Nemanja Gudelj
    Amin Younes
    Davison Sanchez
    Mateo Cassiera
    David Neres
    Hakim Ziyec
    Bertrand Traore (loan)
    Luis Orejuela
    Nico Tagliafico
    Max Wober
    Daley Blind
    Lisandro Magallan
    Perr Schuurs
    Zakaria Labyad
    Hassane Bande
    Dusan Tadic
    Lassina Traore
    Bruno Varela (loan)
    Kjell Scherpen
    Edson Alvarez
    Kik Perie
    Lisandro Martinez
    Quincy Promes
    Ryan Babel
    Mo Kudus
    Antony
    Sebastian Haller
    Oussama Idrissi (loan)
    Jay Gorter
    Remko Passveer
    Martin Steklenberg
    Steven Berghuis
    Mo Ihattaren (loan)
    Mo Daramy

15. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    this is a pretty impressive list, actually - especially given the money spent, the league Ajax is in, etc. Let’s see a list of since he’s been gone. I’m sure it’ll be too much spent, too little quality.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In retrospect, the decision not to replace Overmars ASAP was a huge blunder by the Ajax Board. It was obvious that top players were going to leave, though they hoped to keep Antony for one final season but ManU came in with too much money to turn down. You can see the same thing happening in Belgium with Club Brugge who are struggling in their league after winning last season and even progressing to the KO round of the Champions League.

Hamstra, who appears to be out the door, and Huntelaar did not distinguish themselves. Clearly they overspent on all the transfers coming in this season, and maybe a good technical director would not have done that. Off the top of my head here are the players coming in:
    Bergiwijn - left to rot at Spurs, he did have good games for the NT but Ajax overpaid by €10M
    Brobbey - I think he can still be a special player and apparently Koeman does too. That being said he should never have left Ajax in the first place but that was Raiola's fault
    Sanchez - strange purchase
    Wijndal - AZ always get top price when they sell to Ajax
    Bassey - Ajax were dazzled by how he played for Rangers in their Europa League run but over looked his deficiencies
    Grillitsch - got him on a free transfer but he has been hurt and missed most of the season
    Ocampos - at least the CFO of the club drew the line at spending €18M to bring him in permanently
    Rulli - maybe the best buy given the club needed a GK that was not approaching 40

BPBlueSox repped this.
  17. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I still don’t know what to make of Brobbey. I feel disappointed overall with him since he’s been back - maybe it’s just all too inconsistent.

Rulli - I hope I’m wrong… but I really haven’t cared much for him in a number of the matches, including the last one. I feel like he has some poor mentality type things (like positioning), but is a really good reaction/shot stopper type of keeper.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think he is being used correctly. He is the type of striker who can make quick runs to get open.

BPBlueSox repped this.
  19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    So Julian Ward is not coming to Ajax. Evidently once they got into negotiating, the club was totally indecisive. Not shocking.

The TD search continues.

20. I think a man accustomed to EPL top team budgets would be a wrong choice, so Ajax most likely dodged the bullet.
    They need a TD, who like the Napoli one, manages to compose a selection worthy to win the CL on a budget being a fraction of the epl top 6. Don't think that would be someone from that top six.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, he wanted a full year sabbatical according to the Dutch press.

richsavare repped this.
  22. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Having seen Ocampos play for Sevilla several times, I was surprised that he went to the Netherlands to play for Ajax. Seems like a step down to go from La Liga to Eredivisie. And Ajax gave him, what?, 99 minutes over 4 starts to prove himself? Sheesh, maybe the rigid Ajax system is to blame, not the player. He just scored in Sevilla's match against Cadiz. I am glad that he returned to La Liga.

23. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bergwijn is hopeless. He should be sold. His career has stalled.