The Schreuder Era Starts and Ends: 2022-23 Ajax Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think they would have spent €10M for Wijndal if he is not going to start. These days Blind's only position is CB. Some have been talking about him as a DM but he's really too slow to play in the MF. We'll see next weekend in the Cruyff Shield match.

2. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Got 4M for him... A fair price now but (yet again) we sell basically at the lowest value.

Onana, Maz had huge valuations at one point and leave on frees. Gravenbersch way less than he should have gotten. Neres 10m after he could have gone for 40-50m. Just saw Lang is going to fetch 20+ M from Brugge too. Even Haller left for a lot less than we could have gotten (although I am sure they let him pick where he went).

One reason I am happy we sold Martinez for his fee. Finally sold someone for what they're worth vs. let them go for virtually nothing.

3. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Is Mo Ihattaren with the first team or what is going on with him?

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We commented on this earlier in this thread. There was a brief statement from Ajax on this, Ihattaren has some type of personal issue he is dealing with and did not accompany the team to the Alps for training. Ajax have a friendly today against Shaktar Donnetsk and don't know if he will be in the match day team.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Defence looks very fragile

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can we sign Mudryk ASAP??!!

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In the final friendly of the pre-season, Ajax defeated Shakhtar Donnetsk 3-1. Teams were level at the half 1-1. Tadic, starting at striker got the goal for Ajax following a nice run by the Shakhtar winger who beat Pasveer on the short side. Berghuis pegged Ajax ahead with a shot from distance that was deflected and the keeper could not recover having gone the wrong way. Kudus closed out scoring with a nice goal off a couple of passes, the final one coming from Brobbey. It's interesting that Schreuder brought Fitz-Jim in at RB for the final 23 minutes. Alvarez had a good game at DM allowing both Blind and Timber to push up into the attacking half. This may provide a clue as to how Ajax will attack this season. Our new winger Conclcao came on for Antony. He has a lot of quickness and got a late shot on goal that sailed over the cross bar.

Line up and subs:

Pasveer; Rensch (Fitz-Jim 66'), Timber (Schuurs 66'), Blind, Wijndal (Baas 76'); Álvarez, Berghuis (Taylor 80'), Klaassen (Brobbey 76'); Bergwijn (Kudus 66'), Antony (Conceição 76'); Tadic.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They ended up doing pretty well. Shakhtar only had the one shot on goal the whole match.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One play does not mean that he is a world beater.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I should have added that the Shakhtar players had the names of all the Ukranian cities that are either occupied or have been under attach by the Russians.on their shirts rather than player names.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I looked up his stats and they're not that great.

Tadic was offside btw. Should really be 2-1

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I didn't see a good enough replay. I looked like Antony was ahead of him when he headed the ball and Tadic was running onto it.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #163 Brilliant Dutch, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Looked offside to me

(3:20)

Although the far left player might be playing him onside. Hard to tell

[​IMG]

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We'll see if any new players come into the team and whether some others leave. It looks like they have a lot of depth right now. @Brilliant Dutch - have you seen any updates in the Dutch press on Ihattaren? From over here I haven't seen anything at all and I don't know if he is back training.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This was Schreuder's statement today

Orange14 repped this.
  16. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    How did Fitz-Jim look at rb? I know it was late and for a short time…

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He did not have much in the way of defending to do. He was very good on the ball which is no surprise. He is probably the quickest ball handler on the team; he makes fast decisions and to the right teammate.

18. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I don't think Ajax is done shopping... What does everyone think is most important to still get? IMO...

1) Midfielder -- still haven't replaced Gravenbersch. IMO midfield was the weakness last year and it looks even worse this year.
    2) RB -- I just don't think Rensch is good enough. Klaiber.... GOD NO
    3) GK-- I think that position is a disaster waiting to happen unless Gorter is good enough.

It seems like we are going to buy a secondary '9'. I'm not sure we need one. Between Tadic/Bergwijn/Brobbey, it seems like that position is covered. Maybe a younger one to develop?

DutchFanatic repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only way they bring in anyone new at this point will require the sales of a player(s). The players that Ajax want to off load won't bring in significant transfer funds and some of those players they can't even give away. Schreuder has said he does not want to see any base players leave right now and realistically the only one who has real value is Antony. I don't think he will be sold this season as there is no replacement. Judging by yesterday's match, I think Tadic starts off as striker. He is really not quick enough to play left wing and I saw how much quicker and dangerous Bergwijn is.

I may be surprised but remember any transfer that skews the finances has to be approved by Susan Lenderink (the CFO) and she is financially conservative.

20. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #170 pfloyd, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    IMO we shouldn't worry at this point about midfield - given enough playing time Fitz-Jim can become close to next Davids, Kudus seems like a decent 8 and Taylor/Ihattaren can provide a good 10. The rest of the starting line up seems obvious. In the end of the day of course all is in the hands of Schreuder. Maybe a RB better than Rensch won't hurt.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  21. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree on the midfield and offense, more than enough options and we have to give youth players a chance too. My main concern is the goalkeeper. That situation is just crazy to me.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If the top three can stay healthy until December they will be OK. Setford will be back from his wrist injury and is an excellent keeper even though he his young. He will be the starter for Jong Ajax this season.

23. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I'm not sure Fitz-Jim is ready (physically). @richsavare has said it a few times but most of these Jong Ajax guys coming up look so small and weak. We also really can't rely on Ihattaren at all. Anything he gives us would be a giant bonus.

I'm hoping Taylor can replace Gravenbersch. I'm not sure he will. Kudus is the X-factor. We have options in midfield--I'm just not very confident in them. I don't really rate Berghuis, Davy and Alvarez either.

Attack, as long as Antony stays, is going to be incredible though.

I wish ten Hag played Taylor/Kudus way more last year. I think we needed to see a lot more of them.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  24. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    @wynaldaisagod - "... look so small and weak".

Some of the toughest DMs were on the smaller side - remember Gatuso, Davids - just off the top of my head. My thoughts exactly on ten Hag not giving Taylor/Kudus, and not only, enough playing time.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sorry, but I agree with Wynalda on this one. When I first saw Fitz I thought it was a girl who had wandered onto Oranje.

Right now this kid is nowhere near the same league as Gattuso or Davids. Needs to put on some size within next couple of years to have a shot at senior Ajax

[​IMG]

BPBlueSox repped this.