The Schreuder Era Starts and Ends: 2022-23 Ajax Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So we basically get an Eredivisie team in the epl:ROFLMAO:
    It would be hilarious if he runs all the way to the title with this.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  2. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I doubt he will last long enough to eat the Xmas pudding in Manchester.;)

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2-0 at the half against Lokamotiv Zagreb. Ajax have played maybe 80% of the match in the opponents half. Taylor with another fine match got the first goal and then a nice pass to Baas who had a free header. No trouble with the defense at all. Banel looks promising at RW.

Lineup: Gorter, Klaiber, Schuurs, Blind, Baas; Regeer, Klaassen, Taylor; Banel, Rasmussen, Ünüvar

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Match ends 3-0 with a late goal from Enem with the assist from Martha. Lokamotiv had one good shot that was parried by Gorter. Defensively, the second team was much better than last week against Paderborn but I honestly don't know how good this Zagreb team is. Some good combination plays but Ajax could not get a decent shot off. In the end a good result.

Second Half Line up with substitutes: Gorter, Klaiber (61' Gooijer), Magallán, Pierie, Baas (61' Salah-Eddine); Regeer (61' Warmerdam), Hlynsson, Fitz-Jim, Banel (61' Martha), Rasmussen (61' Enem), Ünüvar (61' Van Axel Dongen).

5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax in trouble if they have to rely on Klaiber, or Magallan. Terrible signings.
    The Jong Oranje prospects seem very small and will be physically overmatched.
    With regards to the main squad big problems with GK, and going with Schuurs, Blind, Berghius, & Klaassen every match, especially in Champions League they will get exposed.
    Not a fan of Taylor either in the sample size that I’ve seen from him.
    Need to enhance the quality in the squad badly.
    Hoping Kudus and Ihattaren step up big time.
    Need to find some more power, pace, and quality in all areas of the pitch.

6. There's quite some time to spare before they have to show up in the CL, so time to fix things.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looks like the Wijndal transfer is being finalized today. Medical is scheduled and terms have been agreed to. Ajax may also play hardball with Martinez and not allow him to leave this season.

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Another great scoop by Ajax. From the player's perspective, as in the case of Bergwijn, I think this moves boosts Wijndal's chance to go to World Cup. Higher level of competition (playing in UCL) and better exposure overall.

9. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Martinez saga looks like it's heating up. 50m + add ons probably will be the final price.

I know it's losing a main starter but not taking this would be insanity from Ajax.

10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Martinez as good as gone. I hope it wraps up soon-- we need to buy a replacement ASAP.

Internal options are Blind as LCB (meh), Alvarez going back to LCB (I like), Kik seems like no chance to play at Ajax.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looks like the Martinez transfer will be completed tomorrow. Papers are saying Ajax to get €55M from ManU. I think Ajax paid €7M for him. Martinez wants the transfer to that team and turned down Arsenal. Ajax don't want to piss off South American agents by holding a player back from a big transfer as they won't send young players to Amsterdam. We'll see how this works out for him as he certainly is tough enough for the EPL.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax drew with Belgian 1st division team KAS Eupen 1-1 in Amsterdam. Both goals came in the 2nd half.

Lineup for Ajax: Gorter; Rensch, Schuurs, Blind, Wijndal; Álvarez, Klaassen, Taylor; Berghuis, Bergwijn, Tadic

Ajax conceded first in the 2nd half when two KAS Eupen players were kept on sides, I think by Tagliafico. Blind and Magallan could not recover and Gorter had no chance. Kudus had a great shot about 10 minutes later that clanged off the post. He got the lone Ajax goal in the last 10 minutes on some very nice passing Reeger to Daramy, to Tagliafico who cut it back to Kudus for the put away. Gorter had an excellent save on a free kick just outside the box that was curled around the wall. Eupen didn't create much else in the match. van Axel Dongen went off with an injury 13 minutes into the 2nd half.

2nd half lineup and subs: Gorter; Klaiber, Magallán, Blind (Pierie 63'); Tagliafico; Regeer, Kudus, Taylor (Fitz-Jim 63'); Daramy, Klaassen (Rasmussen 70'), Van Axel Dongen (Ünüvar 63').

13. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not a very inspiring group whatsoever especially in the back.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Other than the conceded goal they were pretty good. Every single free kick was cleared and Eupen really had no chances from open play otherwise. Blind is fine as a central defender.

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #90 richsavare, Jul 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Blind will be toast against any top opponent and Schuurs to partner him is another weak link who will be had for pace.
    Klaiber, and Magallan cannot see the field.
    What a major drop off in quality for Ajax.
    Need to find a couple of players immediately including a GK.
    Midfield looks very weak too.
    I’m not fond of Klaassen as you know, and have serious doubts about Taylor.
    Need to find some quality players quickly.
    I wonder if Antony will be sold?

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax are working to bring in Calvin Bassey from Glasgow Rangers as a CB. Taylor will be fine in MF and I think he has a higher upside than Gravenberch. He just extended his contract to 2027. Ajax really need a striker and I don't know where they will find one .

17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I read about Bassey. Regarding forwards I know Brobbey has been mentioned.
    Looks like Zirkzee will get back to Bayern and may get a chance as Lewandowski is likely to move to cash strapped Barca.

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ajax should move for sandler. He has all the attributes of a top defender in the making. He just has been unlucky with injuries resulting in very little game time. Plus he can play both on the right and left. Available free as well.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It looks like they are after Rangers CB, Calvin Bassey. Schreuder apparently has already spoken to him about coming to Ajax.

20. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brobbey returns on a 5 year deal.
    Happy for his return and I expect big things from him.
    Completely unnecessary that he left in the first place so fortunately it worked out.

21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax also sign from Porto winger Francisco Conceicao son of the Manager Sergio.
    Young player who is lightweight but a big talent.
    Very surprised his Dad would allow this but Porto similar to Ajax in having many top younger players.
    Interesting to see his development and how this works.

22. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hopefully Bassey comes but now several clubs are involved as expected.
    Ajax really need upgrade of talent in the back and the Nigerian will be an excellent signing.
    Need a GK too on my wishlist.

23. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why wouldn’t Feyenoord bring him back?
    Was a huge prospect that Man City had very high hopes for.

24. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I also read that Ajax are in for Memphis at 20 million.
    Competition between Spurs which he has smartly turned down, Juventus, and Roma.
    This would be great news if this happens.
    Memphis badly treated by clueless Xavi and financially disgraceful Barca.
    Memphis had been linked to Marseille and Sevilla in other reports.
    Barca will regret his piss poor treatment.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not really. Memphis isnt quite good enough for the absolute top. Auba and Lewandowski are better strikers (assuming Lewa ends up at Barca)