The Schreuder Era Starts and Ends: 2022-23 Ajax Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Schuurs is almost two footed and played at LCB last year as a substitute. It looks like he is going to get his wish for more playing time. One other option is to move Alvarez back to CB.

2. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Your right about Fabrizio Romano he is the man with the information.
    Ajax badly need some reinforcements.
    Hopefully Bergwijn and Brobbey happen soon.
    Defensively seeing the likes of Schuurs and Blind in the back is extremely worrisome, and they are food for the opposition.
    No real GK in my opinion, and as things stand it’s an absolute joke.
    I’m always for adding from Jong Ajax, but it seems to me that currently there are some very small and weak kids who would have their hands full playing at the top level.
    In comparison PSV with some excellent business, and so far have managed to hold onto Gakpo and Sangare so Ruud Van Nistelrooy has to be thrilled.
    They have also being linked to a return of Gini Wijnaldum.
    I’m sure things will pick up on the overall transfer portal this week.

3. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    #53 wynaldaisagod, Jul 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    I'm OK with Schuurs playing a lot in the Eredivisie/being a super sub. I just think that tempers what we can do in CL. He cannot hack it at that level.

I'd love Alvarez to go back to CB and put a more ball playing 6 in there. I'm curious if that is how Schreuder wants to play. But if we got a really good passing 6 and returned Tadic to the 9, we would have a ridiculously good technical lineup. It'd also help big time when Davy played as the 10.

In a lot of ways this sounds weird but Taylor may be the key to the whole season. If he is good, that solves a ton of issues. If he is bad, our midfield is in trouble and that throws off the whole squad. (Kudus the same to a degree).

4. Who's running the transfer show atm?

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hamstra took over for Overmars. Huntelaar is his chief assistant. All transfers have to be approved by Susan Lederink who is the chief financial officer.

6. Oh, that means trouble.
    'Lenderink zit op de centen, Ajax dreigt naast Wijndal en Brobbey te grijpen'
    [​IMG]voetbalcentraal.nl|30 days ago
    Ajax-watcher Mike Verweij ziet voor de komende transferperiode een belangrijke rol weggelegd voor financieel directeur Susan Lenderink. Ajax heeft interesse in het prijzige drietal Steven Bergwijn, Owen Wijndal en Brian Brobbey en de Telegraaf-journalist ...

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No trouble, she just is making sure the club doesn't spend its way into debt like PSV and Feyenoord have done!!!

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I see Barca are trying to off load Memphis as Xavi doesn't like him. Ajax would be better served picking him up rather than paying a lot for Brobbey. Barca might settle for €20M.

wynaldaisagod and richsavare repped this.
  9. Who do Barca have to lead the attack?

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Aubamayang is the striker along with Ferran Torres. I think they want to keep Dembele and he will cost big money.

Memphis is surplus.

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I watch a lot of Barcelona matches, and I think it will be a very Foolish decision to sell Memphis and Frenkie by Barca who are quite obviously mismanaged.
    Then again they are assets that the poorly run Catalan club need to cash in on.
    They have made a mess over the years signing the likes of Coutinho, Griezman, and Dembele among other overpaid flops for huge money with little return, that has resulted in near financial ruination.
    Xavi is over his head imo, and prefers overrated, overhyped, and physically overmatched youngsters, along with old slow veterans.
    Memphis and Frenkie are top class players who can perform in multiple roles, but have not had the luxury to play in their best positions, which certainly applies to Frenkie while Memphis has had injury problems that has slowed him down.
    If Xavi truly believes that Ferran Torres, Aubameyang, Dembele, and Ansu Fati are better then Memphis he is dead wrong.
    Memphis to Ajax would be absolutely fantastic, but I have a feeling he will go to Arsenal who have had interest.
    Frenkie now might stay as Laporta seems to figure out it would be a big mistake to sell him especially when the player does not want to leave, but his treatment under Xavi has not been great so perhaps the Love from Ten Hag will persuade him to join the mismanaged ManU.
    I’ll say it again though Memphis to Ajax would be fantastic, but his wages are likely far too much unfortunately.
    For the sake of Oranje I’m hoping for a good club for him to do his thing.

12. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Xavi has zero clue.
    Memphis better then all 3 of these guys, and it’s not even close in my book.

13. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They want to sign Lewandowski who is under contract at Bayern and don’t seem willing to sell him to Barca who had a few bids already shot down.
    If the Pole was to move he’s 33 years old and unlikely to get to his high level at Bayern. It might not be a wise move by the Club who again have big money troubles.
    On top of this is the very serious Financial crisis at Barca who are in complete disarray and have serious restrictions in place from the Spanish Federation.
    They stupidly wasted 55 million on Ferran Torres last year who cannot finish. Some of the chances he missed this past season were absolutely pathetic.
    He’s more of a wide player too, but Man City we’re quite happy to dump him for that crazy amount as he rode the bench under Pep.
    Aubamayeng is a central striker who needs the service of others, and is a questionable character having been stripped of the Captaincy at Arsenal and obviously was sent packing.
    They also had the muscle monster Adama Traore from Wolves who is blessed with outrageous pace on top of his incredible physique, but he’s out after just not producing on the pitch or in training from what I have read.
    They also have the young Ansu Fati who they love but he’s physically weak and has had injury problems.
    Dembele was productive in the last few months, and had double digit assists after doing little for most of his time at Barca.
    He is a shaky character who also is soft, and injury prone & is clearly overrated and overpaid over the course of his time at the club.
    I’m biased but honest in my opinion that Memphis is their best attacker, but it remains to be seen what happens with all of the drama and speculation on top of the serious financial situation at Barca.

14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    If we lose Antony... A front 3 of Bergwijn/Tadic/Memphis would be incredible. I wish we were going after Ziyech too (Again... if/when we lose Antony).

Sounds like Bergwijn is a done deal for 30M. Everton/Man U offered (considerably) more but he wanted to come to Ajax to play. I'm assuming to be selected for the WC.

Any other Dutch players in a similar situation we could lure? Ake if we sell Martinez?

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Problem is EPL television money. Every other league in Europe is at a disadvantage. Bergwijn is unusual in returning to the Eredivisie after a spell in England. Perhaps his calculus is he is better suited to a more open attacking league that can take advantage of his abilities. He needs first team action if he is to make it as a starter on the Dutch WC team. I always think Dutch players should go to Germany when first moving abroad as that's the league where there is good offensive football. Most matches there are highly competitive.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Finally some good contract news. Naci Unuvar has extended his contract to 2026. I hope this is something that other youth players will follow.

17. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have been wanting to ask this question for long time. Can he become the next sneijder.?

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He reads the field very well and his passing and dribbling skills are quite good. Part of his development has been stifled by playing him as a wing player which I don't think he is. He also has a good shot and often was the PK taker for Jong Ajax. I think he will get minutes in the senior team this season.

19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I agree but over the last few years we've gotten Blind, Tadic, Haller, Bergwijn. So it is possible.

I also believe guys are starting to care more about playing in CL than the league. So guys would rather play for Ajax (CL, at home) vs. a non Bayern/BVB/CL team even though that league is way better.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreement reached with Spurs for Bergwijn. €32.5M in four payments as requested by Ajax.

21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Great scoop by Ajax. But wow... Spurs not only got their money back from the original transfer fee, but indeed managed to make a (tiny) profit out of a player who didn't work out for them and is deemed considered a surplus of requirement :eek::p

Anyway, all things considered. I have a feeling that Bergwijn will carbon-copy Haller... use the EPL experience (and struggles) to get his footing back, tear apart Eredivisie, and look for a rebound transfer again in a year or two. I've always liked Stevie back from his PSV days... a typical blue-collar player. Hardworking, unselfish, pacey and more-than-decent skillsets. Better days ahead for this young fella. Still only 24 years old!

22. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Who in your opinion will be our starting RB for the next season? Bar Rensch who else do we have at that position. We should have hold onto Mazraoui.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Right now the only RBs on the roster are Rensch, Klaiber, Reeger (who moved up from Jong Ajax and is also a MF) and Timber who will start at RCB. Have no clue who will start. If Rensch can get the mental side of the game wired right he might be quite good.

24. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Practically this leaves us with Rensch and Regeer. From what I've seen during Young Ajax games the latter is pretty good at MF, can't recall seen him playing as MF. Maybe we should delve deeper - U19.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ManU are getting close to meeting Ajax price for Martinez. I think it's pretty certain that he is leaving.:(