The Scandie WC thread

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Big balls, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    How about an obvious thread where the Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Finns and the Icelandic people can discuss their progress and compare notes throughout the grueling qualifying campaign that we are facing.

From a Swedish perspective, Brazil seems like a fantasy after witnessing the Swedish team beat Kazakstan 2-0 after a very unimpressive performance. Yes they got the 3 points but is this lack of creativity in the attack really gonna create problems against greater teams than Kazakstan ?. Swedens attack seems to lack an organized plan. There is no thought behind it. It's not just this match in particular but going back to the Euro as well. This usually doesn't work well in the long run.

I'm not discounting Sweden by any means. Germany goes first and Sweden has the chance to clinch a play-off position but they've got a lot to improve in order to do so.

And way to go Iceland. That was quite a scalp sending the Norwegians home with 0 points

2. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    I missed this one. Good thread!

Trembling start by most of the Scandinavians. In retrospect I´m glad I missed the Sweden-Kazakstan game. Well, at least we got a win.

Iceland messing up things for the Norwegians. But they in turn came back strong against the Slovenians.

Ceres, how are things going for the Danes?

And the Finns?

3. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Nice to see you in here Götet :). Yes why not have a thread where all the Scandies can gather and discuss their road to Brazil. It's not as if we are all over the forum anyway.

As for Swedens match, you certainly didn't miss much. 3 points and a worringly ineffectiveness in the attack.

4. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    except for the fact that Cech played his best match in some time, and the Danes just couldn't get a goal on him, Denmark actually played respectively well (if lacking that last bit of cold bloodedness and inovations in the attack, and in general rather average) and completely controlled the match

5. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I wouldn't be discouraged from a 2-0 win over Kazakhstan - Sweden looked better against them than Ireland did. If not for a stoppage time penalty kick, Ireland wouldn't have even won against them.

I think Kazakhstan are improving. They are the biggest country in UEFA (aside from Russia) - it's only a matter of time until they start putting out some quality.

6. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Anyways, I'm obviously disappointed by Norway's start, but the win over Slovenia might help get us back into gear. A win over Switzerland in October is a MUST.

7. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Well I'm pulling for you guys. If I'm not mistaken, Norway hasn't qualified for a major championship since 98 and that's just too long. They had such momentum with "Flonaldo" and the great performance against Brazil.

Regarding Kazakstan, I still see it as Sweden being completly inept in their attack rather than Kazakstan becoming a force. I've seen these troubles to set up creative attacks before and they missed the WC that time :/

8. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Haven't qualified to a World Cup since '98, but we did qualify to Euro 2000 so that's the last "major tournament".

We definitely are lacking a striker like T. Flo who could score with just 1-2 chances given to him. Carew, Iversen, and company don't seem to be that clinical in front of the goal.

9. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Holy crap, what a legendary performance tonight.

A match against the most consistently great team that Europe has to offer....in their hometown. Germany was up 4-0 which was a disappointment so I switched the channel, I was hoping for Sweden to lose by a 2 goal difference.

I turn it back on and it's 4-3!. Match ends 4-4 after a heroic performance. I wonder.....which was the last away team to score 4 goals in Berlin. An absolutely epic performance. Germany is Swedens kryptonite......what just happened ??

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kudos for this sensational & unique catch-up race from your guys :geek: :thumbsup: , you can be very proud tonight!

Football can be really crazy sometimes. ;)

11. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Danke! extremely proud/happy I must say :) . Sweden has always had major problems with Germany. In my book, drawing with Germany away counts a lot higher than when they beat Spain or Holland in Stockholm in recent QF campaigns. Germany is Swedens kryptonite.

In the end it won't matter much for the German team. You're gonna win the group as expected. It still was a magical night from a Swedish perspective :)

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's wait up (after all, I wouldn't bet my house). The very last game takes place in Stockholm, so everything should be possible if you're max. 3 points (and not too many goals) behind ahead of this match.

13. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Germany played fantastic during 60 minutes. Then after that I don´t know what happened. I´m puzzled by this game.

14. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Well yes, Sweden has a stellar record at home and while I believe Germany is the toughest opponent in Europe for Sweden. I think Sweden has a realistic chance of getting 3 points in that match.

I do believe however that Sweden will stumble along the way while the German machine will continue to line up 3-pointers so once that match takes place, Germany will have won the group already

Thanks a lot for that link ifkgötet. I missed much of the 2nd half so much appreciated!

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Thx for posting the whole match from a Swedish perspective (even though I don't really understand much of the discussions :))!

Btw: Who's the good-looking lady? ;)

16. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Johanna Frändén. Some journalist I think. By swedish standards I would say she´s avarage looking.

Good Luck to Germany. Hopefully we´ll have a deciding game in Stockholm then. But maybe Austria or/and Ireland could pose a serious threat to Sweden. Exciting stuff no doubt.