Alert: The Saudi Arabia protest thread. (keep it here)

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Oct 10, 2021.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course Newcastle fans are aware there are some well-founded objections to the Saudi Public Investment Fund becoming the majority owner of a Premier League club. Some of us share your misgivings. However, we are universally celebrating the departure of our ex-owner who has gutted our team and siphoned considerable profits out of the club while selling assets and allowing our infrastructure to decay. I have been waiting for this day for over a decade, and I'm not done celebrating.

I want people to have a place to express their thoughts on the geopolitical issue, but this is not the place to scold our fans or blame us for waking up to the news and reacting in a completely understandable manner. Feel free to advocate for your position and share what steps you are taking in response to this news.

I will delete lengthy complaints in other threads or move them here. Thanks for understanding and Howay the Lads!

2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get the ball rolling with this statement from United with Pride, which says that they expect the club to continue its work in inclusion, equality and diversity. The club have already announced as much.

3. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    You certainly deserve better than Mike Ashley, but I think unless the Saudis continue to make serious reforms, they will become a stain on your club and England. They have to change their ways.

https://turcopolier.com/saudi-arabia-is-medieval-cruel-and-an-absolute-tyranny/

From Ret. Col. W. Patrick Lang's blog:

I'd love to see the US take more of that position too.

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of us don't like it, but if the club is run in an exemplary fashion in England, we can live with that. It is their own country, and our world leaders are the ones who negotiate the amount of reform required for free trade and international cooperation. We look forward to further reform.

I actually think the "oil money" designation is one that will detract more from future successes. Many fans don't want to admit this is a large part of what bothers them, because their club probably received dirty money too. The morality angle has more traction and feels more righteous, but it's a little dishonest.

It's too bad we're an oil club, because what we were was beautiful. We weren't given the choice, but if Newcastle United fans could have chosen to stick with Ashley for another decade of disgraceful management and shattered dreams, who would stick with Ashley? Probably less than half of those who say they would.

5. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I'm not enthused by it. But as I said it before, anyone with enough money to buy a Premiership team is gonna be pretty much 'dirty money' somewhere. If its run in accordance to standards I can probably live with it.

I'm not fooling myself to think that it'll be a dialogue thing that has impact on the Royals in running SA. They're perfectly capable of being "ok with that cause it's our thing in England. As long as it stays over there" while also "This is Saudi Arabia. We are not that" at the same time while making their money off it.

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been assuming this will be a money losing venture. That's how I'll be able to buy my shirt, knowing that the money is not going back to the Middle East.