The San Jose Earthquakes Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, May 12, 2022.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Need to be good enough and mentally mature enough.
    Even though these games mean little, you put a kid who isn’t mentally ready to handle it, there can be issues.
    I have seen many a young kid given time and then obtain an attitude about who they are and where the think they should be playing, even when they were just given garbage minutes in a meaningless match. All of a sudden they are too good for everything else, or get upset when they don’t get moved up quicker, even when they aren’t good enough.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I totally get it. The kid has to be mature enough. Its a case by case basis

.........................but Medina will be 16 very soon.

I can run down a long list of kids who've debuted in MLS or professionally at that age, and turned out just fine. When did Jesus Ferreira make his debut? June 3, 2017 when he was 16 years old. He scored.

gogorath repped this.
  3. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I love Cruz Medina. I am placing all of my Quakes hopes and dreams on his shoulders. But I just don't see the upside of giving him first team minutes right now, only downside. MLS next pro has been enough of a challenge for him.

Even Tsakiris, I like the approach of giving him 20-30 minute sub appearances. Come in against a tired opposition, and build up some confidence, have some success. Also don't get crunched in the first minute by some DM trying to set the tone.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How old was Tsakiris when he made his debut? Let's see. When he was 16 earlier this season!!

So you liked the approach of giving Tsakiris confidence as a then-16 year old, but don't want to give soon-to-be 16 year old Medina a little bit of a confidence boost at the end of a meaningless game in a meaningless season.

You do you Quakes. It doesn't have to make sense.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #105 ussoccer97531, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Over the years I’ve started to realize more and more why most players don’t play first team before 16 and most don’t even play before 17.

It’s not that these kids don’t have the pure talent. Cruz Medina could step into an MLS game and dribble past most defenders. It’s that there’s little consistency at that level for a player of his age. He’ll dribble past an opponent one time, and then the next he loses the ball when he shouldn’t. Physically, it’s also a big difference.

Jude Wellings struggled in Next Pro this season when they played him in his natural position. He couldn’t get involved enough in games because physically he wouldn’t engage enough. He’s able to take the ball off kids his own age, but put him in there against grown men or at least kids a few years older than him who’ve probably already been accustomed to the increased physicality of the game and are on a weights training program, and it’s a huge difference. He’s listed at 6’2 139. Predictably, he looked much better when they used him higher up the field.

It’s a really big jump. I wouldn’t be against Medina getting 10-15 minute spurts the last month of the season. I think he could handle that, but at his age I don’t think he could handle hundreds of minutes in MLS. Hundreds of minutes in Next Pro is enough of a challenge for him.

Where I think we really should be expecting them to breakthrough is that 17-19 age where they’ve probably spent a year or two already with the reserves, training with the pros, they’ve probably graduated high school or are close to it. That’s when it’s a little easier for the focus to shift entirely to the pro game. A kid like Akinmboni playing for DC at age 15 is just that he’s a very talented player and at age 15 he can probably play a half without being terribly out of his depth talent-wise.

There are always some exceptions, but it usually requires the right level of ability, the right position, the right body type at that age, and the right circumstance surrounding the team to allow for a 15 or 16 year old to immediately step in at that level. Most can’t. If you look at the 05’s that’ve played MLS this season with Vargas, Tsakiris, Buck, Bajraktarevic, and probably one or two I’m forgetting, I don’t think any of them have been that good. They’ve all had some nice moments, but if they were 10 years older they wouldn’t be players anyone would suggest are standing out.

6. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    This is a very ignorant response. They are more than a year apart in age, and anyway, we should tailor the approach to the particular player, not just look at the age and prospect ranking. People in this thread were talking about starting Tsakiris every game the rest of the season, which is what I was tapping the breaks on. Also, Tsakiris has looked up for it this year, looked good in the U20s against older competition, and can apparently handle the speed of play. It's not just a confidence boost for him, he seems ready to meaningfully contribute. Medina on the other hand has looked a bit lost against older competition.

You do you Clint, just remember you *might* not follow these particular players as closely as others.

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I’m not sure if it’s his agent, parents or himself but I have sensed that Cruz is pushing to fast track his development. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but I hope it doesn’t lead to skipping crucial steps or drowning in the deep end. Building the hype seems cool, but it comes with expectations that can feel very uncomfortable. See Gilbert Fuentes as exhibit A.

Boysinblue and butters59 repped this.
  8. itscalvin

itscalvin Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Mar 31, 2022
    Oh my don't remind me. The first Quakes HG that received a ton of hype. That was one where he couldn't hold onto the ball because he was just too small and everyone would just body him off it.

9. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Each players physical + mental growth will be at different rates and both have to be ready for professional game. 16-20 years old a lot changes at different times for different people.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This may be kinda off topic, but there's an Eli Padilla currently playing in lower-division Romania who I think was previously with the SJ Academy. Was that guy American?

https://fcolimpia.ro/team/elisama-padilla/

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm fine with kids setting ambitious goals. Its up to the SJ staff to decide if he's ready for involvement.

I mean...................we're not talking about a 90 minute match for Medina.
    All he said is he wants to make a debut. That can be a 5 minute garbage time cameo in their last game. Just a little reward from the staff for his hard work during the season. A little taste.

I do think kids see other players their age getting minutes around the league, and think they should be doing that too. Ambition is OK. You just have to back it up in training to show you're ready.

Cruz Medina is an 06. He just saw a player younger than him start an MLS match. Akinmboni at DCU.

gogorath repped this.
  12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Tsakiris gets the start tonight against the Galaxy

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 xbhaskarx, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    It is a complete failure of the organization on multiple levels that Niko Tsakiris is only now getting his first MLS start when he should have been starting every game since the Quakes' playoff odds went into the single digits... which was in like late May not late September!

14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    A complete failure is a tad hyperbolic.

Sure, would’ve liked to have seen him start like 6 games ago, but his career trajectory isn’t changed or anything.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Only watched one game, but the 08's look like a potentially great age group to me. Probably going to end up top 3-4 in the country.

This can change.

Tier 1: (Top 5 Nationally):
    Tier 2: (Top 10 Nationally): Drolette, Tan
    Tier 3 (Top 20): Dougan, Martinez, Colmenares
    Tier 4 (Top 40 Nationally): Rosic, Jimenez
    Tier 5 (Other worthwhile prospects): Ziazadeh, Perkins

They also have an '09 GK on the team who looks pretty good.

Drolette looks like an excellent talent. Want to see more, but he could arguably be maybe as high as 5th nationally. Probably the revelation of the academy season so far for me among 08's. I also really liked what I saw from Martinez and Colmenares. Both are very interesting players. They additionally have Tan and Dougan, who are both big names who were already with the U-15's last season.

After the 07's were very weak (probably only Allen, Rajagopal, Hernandez, Anderson, Nguyen) last season, the 08's look much stronger.

Ramsin Ziazadeh and jeff_adams repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    xbhaskarx and butters59 repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  20. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Well, maybe we should just say "Spanish" looking kid—Barca level is an incredibly high standard, and it would be unfair to hold him to it. He looks talented, but consider that by his age Fati, Pedri, and Gavi had already started for Barcelona and the senior Spanish National Team (give or take a few months.)

SCSAutism, Boysinblue and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I don't know about the overall talent level, but to me it's his off the ball movement that looks Barca-like. The way he is very active finding space, combines with teammates, comes to the ball or away from the ball, takes a step here or there to give himself a better angle for the next pass, that sort of thing. It's the sort of thing I've really noticed watching Riqui Puig play for the Galaxy. Of course Puig also has that insane passing range and vision, and long-distance shot.

22. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    What if you interpret his comment as very Barca-trained kid. That’s what I take it as.

your point is totally valid of course!

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Tsakiris is working on or may already have a Portuguese passport. I bet he sells before Cowell.

25. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    You might have some inside info, but this would surprise me. We can offer him a full season of starting in the first team as a teenager. Sure seems like the US has a lot of good young midfielders lost in the European wilderness.

One other wrinkle about Cowell in Spain. Couldn't he get Spanish citizenship within two years through his Mexican dual nationality? Not sure if that would apply for him, but I don't see why not. So the sooner he goes the sooner that clock starts ticking.