The San Francisco USL Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Knave, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is, apparently, now a thing.

San Francisco FC – a potential USL team in 2019 -- SocTakes
    --

I did listen to that podcast and will say this guy does have a clearer understanding of the SF soccer market than the Deltas appear to have. Which is good. But all the difficulties confronting the Deltas are facing these guys too, and I just don't know if any real solutions to those problems exist. I just have so many doubts about whether this can really work in this market.

And if they really do build a modular stadium, I bet they end up in San Mateo.

deedougie repped this.
  2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are San Mateo County people, so you're probably right. I don't know where they could plausibly put a Sacramento-style pop-up stadium inside SF city limits, but I may suffer from a lack of imagination. I suspect they aren't interested in the East Bay. In San Mateo, if they had done this ten years ago, maybe they could have built at the closed Bay Meadows racetrack.

Sounds like they're getting bored with playing two-month seasons at a high school stadium and want to find a better way to set money on fire.

deedougie and Baysider repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Also, you can get away with calling yourself "San Francisco" in San Mateo. Maybe even in Santa Clara, ala the 49ers. But you would not be able to get away with that in the East Bay.

deedougie repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I actually don't think the San Francisco name playing in San Mateo County or along the peninsula is really all that big of a deal. If anyone actually knows the Bay Area, easier access to Highways 92, 101 or 280 is a lot better than playing inside city limits. If anything fans will probably get to a game easier and sooner. My only question is where is this supposed already existing stadium is going to be?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I vote for Colma.

7. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    deedougie repped this.
  8. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This guy is flipping the Dragons and calling them SF FC. By staying in San Mateo County though, he probably has a higher chance at success versus the Deltas in SF proper. Not a lot higher ;-)

Either way, the dude is talking a lot of trash for someone who will likely lose the same amount of money, and face the same challenges being a minor league team in an apathetic area

athletics68 and deedougie repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On top of the military graves? Sure why not!!!

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I mean San Francisco has their airport in Burlingame... why not their soccer team. I don't think they'll have a ton of luck drawing actual San Franciscans, same as the Deltas have seen in NASL. But being in Burlingame will at least make them more accessible to those living on the Penninsula and elsewhere in the BA who like teams with SF monikers. Plus having their own custom built stadium won't hurt.

What I don't get is why now, why double saturate the market with D2? It never works out for one or both teams. Assuming of course Deltas survive to 2019 which is not in any way a forgone conclusion.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Before the team can actually move there, Burlingame High School's HS Stadium would have to be expanded from its current capacity of only 4,000 seats.

[​IMG]

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like they're looking at Murray Soccer Complex with another of those modular jobs Sac has popularized, not the HS.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

But they would have to build a stadium there. Unless I missed something, right now I think all they have at the complex is a field like we used in our Sunday league games.

14. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jeezus Falvo. This thread isn't even one page long.

Did you read @athletics68's post you replied to???

They. are. planning. to. build. a. modular. stadium. at. Murray Soccer Complex

catfish9, C-Rob, BHTC Mike and 2 others repped this.
  15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    By the way, especially now I think it's worth listening to the podcast with Jordan Gardner noted above.

https://www.soctakes.com/2017/06/26/soc-takes-pod-ep-20-san-diego-nasl/

I listened to it a few days ago (production value is lacking, but the content is good).

And this news about his USL plans puts a whole new spin on what he was saying.

I can't say I'm at all confident this can work, but his eyes are a lot more clear sighted than some others trying to build lower division soccer in San Francisco.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #16 falvo, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    No I didn't read the entire initial article......

Although I'd welcome it, knowing how things work in the Bay Area, I'll believe this modular stadium at Murray Soccer Complex will be built when I see it.

deedougie repped this.
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-deltas-sf-city-fc-take-difficult-soccer-market-different-philosophies/

Though SF City and the Deltas compete at different levels, their long-term ambitions are similar.

In the next two to three years, SF City hopes to join the USL and become a professional club. After that, SF City wants to ultimately reach the MLS, a move the Deltas are also open to down the road.

Before that can be considered a reasonable proposal, though, the clubs must conquer the challenging Bay Area soccer market. Neither side currently averages more than 3,000 fans per game.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda awkward since SF FC already has SF USL pro rights...

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they? Seeing as they're not based in San Francisco nor intend to play in San Francisco?

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    They might. After all, the Santa Clara 49ers own the San Francisco NFL rights.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a small place for USL to split the market. Who knows.

22. SFCitizen

SFCitizen New Member

Arsenal
    France
    May 1, 2017
    Wait, since when? I thought they had just made a bid.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it's doubtful both are getting in.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So let me understand. The Burligame Dragons are going from a 4th division PDL side to a 2nd division USL one? Is that the gist of it?