The Sallies strike back

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by andylovesoccer, Aug 24, 2002.

1. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [edited because i'm a mod]

um. let's just say he's got a point.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will comment once and leave this thread. No he does not. If creative enough he could have gotten his lower bowl seats. It is a game that we all have to play and with the problems that "road fans" have presented in the past, particularly to my father, I feel no sorrow.

4. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not denying that he has a point. I just want to know if I am the only one that thinks suing the USSF is a bit over the top. He could have gotten the tickets if he wanted them. God knows that there were plenty of people in the lower bowl during that match that had Hispanic surnames. I think the problem is exactly WHY the USSF told him he couldn't have the tickets, i.e. his surname. Maybe next time they should just tell suspected away fans that they don't have any seats available and to try TicketB@stard.

5. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    He's got a point. I'm just going to leave it at that, because I'm too busy sticking pins into my John "Kaiser" Ashcroft voodoo doll.

6. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Sallies?" Why do you think the actions of this one individual reflect upon the whole Salvadoran community? I guess this means Q2 -- he's Salvadoran, if you don't already know -- has it out for DC United too, two goals against San Jose notwithstanding. Sheesh!!!!!

7. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll do the whole, comment once--leave thread, thing....i could care less about this guy not getting a ticket. In fact, I think every game with any central american country should be managed alot better. Putting them in a section all to themselves on one of the lower levels would be a nice start. this way, they can be jerk offs and throw crap at themselves. I feel no sympathy for this guy whatsoever. sorry folks, opinions are opinions.

8. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh, i wouldn't say these were the only ironies here...

Humberto, if you're out there, you may be my guest at the next game.

-G. Rex

9. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you go to any games before Q2 got here? Were you ever at a game when we played vs. Cienfuegos or any other Salvadoran? This event started taking place before Q2 arrived. The signing of Q2 was done to appease the angry Salvadoran community. Their treatment of fans at the previously mentioned games was despicable, but I don't think that was a reflection of the entire Salvadoran community in DC. I do, however, think the actions of this one individual refelct upon the entire Salvadoran soccer community that came to games to root against DC. Don't assume ignorance on my part, Rick, I have lived through their abuse. And don't be surprised when it gets ugly once Q2 is traded/benched or whatever.

10. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oy veh! Was that you I saw on the south steps of the Capitol on Saturday? Yep, I've been to plenty of United games with Salvadorans rooting against DC, and had a good time too. I was also treated to a beer shower from Honduran fans in the upper level at RFK at the US nats game in question. But I've actually been able to move on with my life, and harbor no great resentment against Salvadorans or Hondurans in general. Why can't you seem to do the same? Go United! :D

11. Upper90s

Upper90s New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Ashburn ,Va
    This guy need to know more about soccer. Instead of putting the ball in the net and the local team has to be made up of all of El Salvaldor. This guy is not " soccer cultured" enough this thing with spliting up the stadium in half happens all over the world. It happens from American Football ( High School, Univer. Pro) Basketball( Europe, S. America)and all over the Soccer world. All I have to say is that this dummy needs to get over it.

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Ya know, this is the USA. If someone calls up and says I want seats in Section 108, the only proper response is "May I have your credit card number" assuming seats are available.

We can designate an official away supporters section, but if someone wants to buy seats elsewhere, it's their right.

It's not a question of "soccer culture" or anything like that. No one should be taking their life into their hands at a soccer match. Perhaps it's soccer culture that needs fixing, not ticket selling policies.

And this BS with "Sallies" has to stop. I know we are referring to the small minority of Salvadorans who have a distressing tendency to cause trouble when they come to matches. But don't be intellectually lazy about it and label all Salvadorans as "Sallies". Refer to them specifically. I don't think it's racism, but a failure to be specific when typing.

/rant

Sachin

13. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I hope he gets his day in court...

So that we can all sit in the seats behind him and throw bags of urine.

14. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    LOL. One of the best posts I've ever seen on BS.

15. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed with sachin...sit them all in an away supporters section and i'll be happy.

16. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Read Sachin's post again a little more carefully.

17. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to make anyone think I am racist or that I like to generalize peoples or sterotype them. I used the word "Sallies" to refer to those Salvadorans who went to United matches to root against the home team. I did not start this terminology, and being that these are the DC boards I was under the false impression that it's previous widespread use had made it an official slang word. I also started a thread on the US boards and did not use this term because I knew people would think it was a racist remark aimed at the entire Salvadoran population, not realizing it applied to only trouble making Salvadorans at DC matches.

I don't harbor any resentment, and don't see where that is coming from. I am interested in other people's opinions on the validity of the court case.
    Please feel free to express your opinion, but refrain from the personal attacks, please.