The Russians are Coming?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by CDNGooner, Oct 30, 2003.

1. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

http://www.football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1073758,00.html

Arsenal's board looking for Russian financing. It's just weird how these Russian Billionaires or Oligarchs got their money. Anyhow - if a Russian can provide some financing to help Arsenal buy some players as well as firming up Ashburton Grove, it's fine by me . . .

2. goonerooni

goonerooni Member

May 21, 2003
    Hertfordshire
    I know there was something like this that was officially refuted..

Does anyone out there think that the board would sell out to some russian johnny-come-lately knowing should they up sticks and go, the club could be financially crippled, perhaps beyond repair?

3. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The current rumours are that after initial enquiries with Vlad. Potanin, which were made after an approach to Oleg Deripaska were received "luke warm". Potanin is apparently an Arsenal fan who flies over to see them, and rather than "do an Abrhamovich" and buy the club out, will invest heavily (£120m has been mentioned) in order to get the ground built. Apparently Danny Fiszman fancies this, although David Dein is opting for a more cautious approach, and considers the new Wembley a better financial proposition.
    As to where these "new Rusky billionaires" have got all their money? Dare I suggest KGB, Mafia involvement?
    (If you hear no more posts from me after next week, then maybe I was right!!!).

4. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    wasn't it mentioned that abramovich had connections to enron...? that could be a source of dirty income

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I've heard the mob ties rumors, and apparently in the new Russia if you have money then the mob is involved in some way, ahape, or form.

The reason there are a few of these Russian billionaires, as I understand it, is that when the Soviet Union broke up, the new Russian government basically gave control of certain industries to a few individuals who reaped the benefits of being "the only game in town", so to speak. I believe Abramovich's money is from communications, and the guy rumored to be involved with Arsenal has interests in the energy business (Oil? Natural Gas? Nuclear Fusion?)

6. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You can't do ANYTHING in Russia without Mafia involvement or sanctioned. Remember the Kanchelski transfer rumours? When the KGB all lost their jobs when "the wall" went down, they formed and/or joined the Russian Mafia. When your "day job" involves extortion, torture, etc. and you are then made redundant, where else do you go for a new job!?

7. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Well, it's common knowledge here in the States that every Russian hockey player that has come over to the NHL has paid the Russian mob a payment just to be able to make the move. I'm sure their footballers who play outside the country are no different, and I'm sure that there are members of the Russian mob at every Chelsea home game.

There's no getting around it.