The RS and the Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by toffeman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. toffeman

toffeman New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    brooklyn,ny usa
    Help!
    My "friend" who supports "them" just taunted me with this, " If "we" win the Champions League, even if YOU finish above us in 4th place, "we" ( which is the red b**tards for those of u keeping up with me) get the 4th English spot for next year and u get only UEFA!!!
    Someone tell me that this is NOT true!!!!!! coz they are starting to look like they might win some.

Pleeeeeeeeeaaase.

2. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
    Re: The Red Sh**e must NOT win the Champions League!!!

i hope not

3. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona

but chill out. they would have to beat juventus or ac milan or bayern or chelsea and that's impossible

4. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

It's been discussed on our boards, but only for fun banter. We're taking nothing for granted.

You also sort of gave away the result in the title there, chief...

5. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK

I don't think he gave away results in the title. That could mean any number of things. But I'll change it just to be clear.

I also don't think that the RS have much of a shot of winning the Champions League, despite their rather convincing win over Leverkusen.

6. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I think any team that makes the final eight in Europe have a chance at winning it, but like I said...we're taking nothing for granted.

Also, "rather convincing" is being modest...we pummeled them over two legs. It was our own stupid end of match mistakes that allowed them to score at all.

7. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK

Agreed. But this is the Everton forum, and therefore, I'm not required to be nice. :D

It would be my own personal worst nightmare if ya did win, though. Any of the remaining teams are going to be really tough to beat. With your thin squad, it's going to be that much tougher.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically speaking, if Liverpool came in 5th but won this season's Champion's League, the FA would need to ask UEFA to grant the Red Shiite the spot that normally goes to the 4th place team.

Would the FA do this? I would guess so, but is there any precedence?

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2005/02/EuropeanQualification.htm

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

9. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The only reason I am posting on this board, is because of the "LA v. Everton" match.

Now I was just wondering, I heard people saying that even if Everton got 4th place in the EPL, they wouldn't qualify for the CL, because of the extra spots granted to the Superliga, Portugal, because of Porto winning the CL last season, can anybody clear this up.

10. toffeman

toffeman New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    brooklyn,ny usa

From ur (RS fan) comments and Sara's I see that I almost made some type of booboo. I guess that the title of a thread can not contain a hint of an earlier result. Sorry.
    Is there a place to veiw etiquette guidlines? ( sorry bout the spelling it's late and am tired)
    Liverpool will take 5th place and lose in the semi's of the CL!
    VW Thanx for the clear info.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

normally sure, but you guys have none

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

:rolleyes:

Who are you?? And where is your club right now??

I'm sure your girl is impressed, but you have no room to speak in terms of this subject.

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Once again (and no Liverpool fan is resting on this happening, I can assure you)...if Liverpool *were* to win the Champions League, yet finish fifth place in the Premier League, then we would get the fourth European spot next season, not the team who actually earned fourth place in the league table. Winning the CL automatically gets a club qualification, and since the English FA only has four spots given to them, fourth place gets dick.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

how precisely may i not speak about this? how many times have you seen lyon this season? milan? psv? juventus? bayern? hell, how many times have you seen liverpool this season?

this is a simple case of you not liking what you hear, so the source must automatically be faulty - i also have no idea what the fortune of AJAX has to do with the fortune of liverpool...

try again

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well... they would still get a UEFA cup berth in this scenario

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Which, were that to be Liverpool, would call for a healthy round of laughs from our rivals, since they know how high the club has achieved. However, were it to be Everton, would warrant a plethora of columns on how they might possibly be making a comeback after years and years of utter disappointment.

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

Pretty simple really...worry about the reality of your own club before attempting to piss on the victory of others.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

where did i piss on your victory? where? show me

19. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

I (as well as most good LFC supporters here) have been nothing but modest and level headed about our results and chances thus far in Europe. Saying something like "normally yes, but you have no chance", while in the Everton boards, is not the coolest thing you could have said. Funny, eh...maybe, but certainly not that sporting. We DESTROYED Leverkusen and deserve to be where we're at...you, as a football fan, know that at this point, it's anyone's match.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah, and if you were in the final now, i'd agree with you - absolute total dream sequence fairy tale best case scenario you would have to get by porto, lyon and bayern... and boy, that would be streeeeeetch even if they all also lost their top 3 CBs and 2 MF starters - now, i haven't downplayed your accomplishment to this point in any way, it is very impressive

it is also incredibly limited in its future - if you guys draw chelsea, milan, juve or even psv in the next round, you may well be fooked beyond your control... and its most likely not to be a dream sequence as you could be forced to go through three of THOSE teams to win it

not. gonna. happen. i am sorry that you don't like to hear that, but even if this opinion were posted in a liverpool forum, it is not trolling or something that you should get your ears up over - i am also not hear to say things that everyone likes - someone asked the question in thread, i posted my personal response - do with it what you wish, but understand that i'd be overly enthused to make a wager on this with you... avatar, cash, major appliances, airmiles, whatever you got... i'll even give you 8 to 1, since that's about what you think your chances are

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    All I'm saying is to give respect where respect is due. Liverpool have come along way in the CL with very little, considering our injuries and large amount of new players who have been forced into a squad they knew very little about. Do I think, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that we'll win it all?? Of course not - I'm not an idiot. But to flippantly say "you have no chance" is ignorant and a bit similar to someone who doesn't understand the beauty of this game.

P.S. We can beat Chelsea, and even they know that.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oh boy... (backs away slowly, no sudden movement)

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    :D Well played...but I still believe that we waaaay due to get one past them.

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true.

Take a look at the applicable comments at the FA and UEFA websites.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2005/02/EuropeanQualification.htm

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

The CL winner does NOT automatically qualify for next season's competition. The FA must request this.

And though it's probably not likely to happen, it's possible that the FA might follow FIFA's lead vis-a-vis World Cup qualification and follow the policy that the defending champion needs to earn a spot just like everyone else.

25. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I really don't mean to keep this conversation going, as it's not my idea that we have a tremendous chance to win it...but I doubt that the English FA would EVER decide to not have the defending European Cup holders represent the league in the tournament, all for the benefit of a club that hasn't been in Europe for years.