Alert: The RMBS Euro 2024 Thread - Predictions & Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by 4x4s, Jun 13, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will win the Euro?

Poll closed Jun 20, 2024.
  1. England

11.3%
  2. France

37.1%
  3. Germany

32.3%
  4. Spain

1.6%
  5. Italy

3.2%
  6. Netherlands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Belgium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Croatia

3.2%
  9. Denkmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Austria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Switzerland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Ukraine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Turkey, Hungary, Serbia, Czech Rep, Poland, Romania, Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Georgia, Albania

1.6%
  14. Portugal

9.7%
  1. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We are not interested obviously. Been scouting for Yoro for long and he's the chosen one. Don't think Juni is the type to sign a player based on short NT tournaments.

Grosso was World Cup star for Italy in 2006. Inter signed him after that and his club performance was underwhelming.

Deep Pal repped this.
  2. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    That's not the point, teams that finish third in a group especially in a group with the likes of Austria, Iceland and Hungary should not be allowed to go through to the knockout stage. Greece at Euro 2004 at least won several games including in the group stage in a tough group and later on in the regular 90 minutes as well.

3. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    I know you're pointing out Carlo and that's not without merit, I'm just gonna say that Italians don't tend to leave Italy. There's only three Italians playing outside Serie A on their national team, and the teams they play for are Arsenal (Jorginho), Tottenham (Vicario), and PSG (Donnarumma), either Premier League and/or super-well paying teams. Jorginho didn't even move to Italy until he was 15 either, for that matter.

So Italians moving abroad just doesn't happen very often.

EDIT: If TM is correct, we've only had three Italian players ever, the last of them being Cannavaro and even that was a case of both being a market opportunity (Juventus relegated for cheating) and having Capello as manager at the time. Cannavaro was also a total mercenary, which isn't a criticism but I doubt he had much loyalty to his badge except when he was being paid to represent it.

boeder and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  4. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The same argument can be made for teams that win multiple games 1-0 and then park the bus for 70 mins and ride their luck.

It doesn't work like that.

Performances aren't linear in international competitions. France were by no means the best team in the WC 98 group stages and R16 but ended up thrashing reigning champs Brazil in the final; Italy are known to get progressively better as the games come.

Deep Pal repped this.
  5. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agree with you, but things change, it isn't genetics. Remember the argument against English players? Even though Jude was in BVB, he exceeded expectations.

6. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    It's nowhere near as bad as finishing third in a group with Austria, Iceland and Hungary without winning a single game against them. I don't buy the 'oh but they'll get better later on if we just let them compete despite being shit early in the competition' argument. That defeats the purpose of competitive football. That's also why I hated the way Ivory Coast won AFCON.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, the 200k Scottish fans in Koln really turned this tournament into a dud. :alien:

The games have for the most part been super entertaining, and that makes the expansion a success, imo. I wish the Copa America had half the excitement and a quarter of the fan atmosphere.
    Ironically, the Holland v France was one of the few stinkers so far, a game which would have happened even in a 16-team tournament. :geek:

4x4s repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And even people that say the expansion was a mistake are still watching "all the games", so yeah, UEFA are not going back to 16. They're not idiots.

9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wales in 2016 probably might not have qualified in 16 team format. But they topped the group that had England and reached semis beating Belgium on the way. Europe has enough depth that 24 team format hasn't created one sided games.

10. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Me watching all the games has nothing to do with thinking the expansion is a mistake, the two are not mutually exclusive. I watch all games because it is a major tournament, it doesn't prevent me from thinking Portugal shouldn't have won Euro 2016 (shouldn't have even gone through to the knockout stage and wouldn't have under the old format) and that teams like Scotland (and to some extent Georgia) have no business qualifying for a tournament.

11. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Wales is the exception that proves the rule. A very weak Portugal team won it in 2016 thanks to the expansion and an even weaker Ukraine team made it to the quarter-finals in 2020 despite finishing third and underperfoming badly in a group with Austria and North Macedonia. They proceeded to then lose 4-0 to England in the quarter-final in a game that made them look like San Marino.

12. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    The games haven't been for the most part super entertaining because of the expansion but in spite of it. Before Euro 2016, there were plenty of very good Euro games as well. The expansion has nothing to do with the quality of the football, if anything we have seen numerous times since 2016 why the expansion was a mistake with Portugal winning the Euros being the most obvious one.

13. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    It breaks my heard to see Modric devastated. Lukita, love you, forever the best midfielder to ever play.

14. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I'm sure it can be done, but why? You're getting the younger and with a much higher ceiling talent in Yoro, who is also a natural fit to the system. No brainer. If he's smart, he either goes to Juve or Liverpool, no other EPL team interested would utilize him to his strengths.

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  15. white_raid2

white_raid2 Member

Real Madrid
    May 9, 2023
    Yeah, you could see how much it would mean to him to win something with Croatia. But country such as Croatia cannot win. For the 2018 final FIFA appointed Nestor Pitana, a mediocre and impressionable ref who awarded a free kick to Griezmann which was a dive that led to the first goal, and then Irrati called Pitana to check Perisic's arm which he eventually ruled as deliberate. Then in Qatar against Argentina Orsato doesn't see the corner and in the next attack Alvarez crashes into Livakovic - and he awards the penalty. I don't think all this was deliberate, but in those tight games and in crucial moments, a decision here and there goes for a bigger country or for a home team. In today's match, Italians took forever to take those corners in the first half and Makkelie awards one minute injury time. In the second half he awards 8 minutes, almost as many as yesterday when there was a KO in the match which ate up 5 minutes.

lukita repped this.
  16. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Osarato is a terrible ref in general. Horrendous in every game I've watched him officiate. Luka can hold his head high, I think he served his country well.

17. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I haven't watched any games of Yoro but I've read good things, though a lot of it is rooted from him being French + dark skinned and the fact that we have cultivated talents like him and allowed them to florish: Varane, Tchouaminga.

While we are far closer to Yoro and the price of Calafiori is likely going to skyrocket post Euro, the Italian can fit into our "system" (I don't think we have one, really), he'd be a fine alternative if Lille do not go down on their asking price of €60m (we're offering nearly half + bonuses) and the club insists on getting a CB this summer (which they should).

Calafiori is 22, perfect age imo, still very young but has better experience under his belt.

18. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shay Z, Zidane05, Airjao and 6 others repped this.
  19. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Qatar WC ref-ing was a farce but I don't think today's officiating influenced the result much. Croatia were ~20 seconds from qualifying but they somehow let the youngest player in the Italian squad rip their midfield open.

Nothing new for Croatia, they conceded in the 90+4 vs Albania.

BIHfan repped this.
  20. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Obviously not this year as we need to see how Militao fares but we'll have a very old set of CBs minus Militao. Alaba will be gone after this year.

A young, tall ball playing CB that doesn't turn like a sail boat fits our profile. Like I said, he's not perfect but I really like what I've seen of him so far.

21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, tournament is Bueno, outside the catastrophic organization issues. I wish I would've had the entire month off to enjoy it fully.

22. lukita

lukita Member+

Real Madrid
    Aug 13, 2019
    Still can't believe he added 8 ********ing minutes. This bus ride home is killing me not to mention I was in the Italian section and got the piss taken out of me

23. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough loss man. Hope you got some enjoyment out of Luka’s goal at least.

Shay Z, lukita and 4x4s repped this.
  24. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Heartbreaking.

Shay Z and lukita repped this.
  25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think there was enough time wasting or injuries to warrant more than 5-6 injury time. I did get irritated when one player started time wasting feigning cramps though.

I think it's counter productive in recent years when we see games going to 12-13 minutes injury time. You feign injury to waste 1 minute and ends up playing additional two minutes injury time because ref didn't like that.