The Ricardo "Q-man" Quaresma Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by fcp4life, Dec 28, 2007.

1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Manny is a good player but then guy has no place in the NT. We need mentally strong players not some reject that could had to go to Turkey to play. Not dissing the Turkish league but going from Spain to Turkey is abig step back in your career.

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah but to play is better to sit around. He had a falling out with the coach. He was just rotting in the reserves, not even on the bench which is not a testament to his skill and the player that he is.

With all due respect I have followed Many for a long time. He has been performing at a high level for a long time, and has been doing what you see in that video in a number of leagues. He did it in Portugal for Benfica, in the EPL for Everton, in Spain for Valencia and now in Turkey.

I really wanted Mourinho to buy him when he was at Inter, I think that would have made a big difference in his career.

Listen I am not saying he should start ahead of anyone in our midfield right now. I very much like the new chemistry that has been found in the Moutinho - Raul - Veloso combination. But Manny should have a place in the 23. If nothing else he provides alot of quality offensively in a variety of different characteristics. He would be useful if we were down in a game with 30 minutes to go. Especially since I don't see anyone like him on the squad currently. Ruben Micael is good, but doesn't have the shooting ability or long range passes.

3. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    With all due respect, look at 1:04 in that video I posted... that is proficient grade "A" passing. I've always though he was the type we need in the midfield, I do think he has a place. Quaresma is just too stubborn. He can be great when he ants to be. I'd chose Vieirinha OVER Cigano any day of the week, but Manelele could be a useful asset for us.

Vierinha/Manelele=FANGASM (For me personally:cool:)

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he would have definetely been welcomed, whenever Sneijder was out Inter struggled with passing/chances
    too bad wages got in the way if I recall

even if it's a "minor league", consistent performance is worth considering
    if he has indeed done so

6. Soulrak

Soulrak Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Where does he fit? The way he plays slows teams down, he holds the onto the ball way to long and alot of the time we end up going backwards. I think where he is playing is perfect for his style. He is a good player, but hes too nonchalant, slow moves and slow decision making.

I literally see no use for him on our NT.

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I dont know, I think he would look good at Porto right now. Hell, I would take him for Benfica. He sure could play in Portugal. Just not so sure at the NT level.

9. maniak

maniak Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Portugal
    I think he would fit well in Italy, in a team like Udinese or Napoli.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wouldn't take him for Benfica, only if we sold Gaitan. I like our fast paced fast attacking offense. In Porto he was the man, the team revolved around him. So he was allowed to hold onto the ball, the way they play that is no longer the case. They move the ball quickly down the wings through Varela/Hulk/James/Djalma etc..

Exactly, I always thought his gameplay fits best in Italy.

11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    He did the Italy thing and it did not work. The Italian game may be slow but they are also very structured and Q boy does not do well in tight structures. He likes freedom....The only place that he has had success (other than Turkey) was in Portugal.

Im sure they could find a way to work Quaresma into this Porto team. He would draw attention away from Hulk. Hulk would benefit.

As far as Benfica, he could be huge for us now coming off the bench and next year after we sell off some of the current players.

Well at least thats my opinion for what its worth :)

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He didn't have success in Spain either with Barcelona then he threw a fit and the coach banished him

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. I think James, Varela already take enough attention off Hulk and are better players. Watch a few games of Quaresma, undeniably he has talent, immense talent, but he loves to go backwards...and its one of the most frustrating thing to watch if your a supporter.

14. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Really ? You think so ? I guess we differ in opinion on that but thats cool. As far as going backwards is concerned, nothing wrong with that "IF" nothing is open instead of trying to force a play in that has not chance. I could be wrong but I cant help feel that if Quaresma had just a couple of the many many shots Porto had in this last game, he would have found the back of the net.

Anyway, not like he is coming back to Portugal anyway.......

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would like to recant my statement to "Team players". He is still a better individual player then James & co, but a team player is something very very debatable.

16. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Fair enough although I have been able to catch a couple of his games this year including in Europe and he does seem to be a little less individualist than in the past. I think that was the influence of Mourinho on him. Still I understand what you are saying. :)

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Vieirinha>>>>Quaresma

I've been saying this for the longest time. V-Man deserves some recognition but dumb ass bento is a bad scout. I know the greek league is not comparable to the bigger ones, but this kid has all the tools to compete with Nani. Quaresma is a hot/cold type of player, you don't know what you'll get from him. Though his behavior has been commendable, I've been hearing how charitable he is in Turkey. Probably because Mani/Almeida have been good role models.

18. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Anyone see his goals in the Europa against Tel Aviv. Stunning does even do it justice. He is such an amazing talent, imo the most skillfull player around playing football right now. The special one treated him like crap at Inter, he took him their and didnt give him the chances he needed. He is a player who does need reminded just how good he is, arm around the shoulder etc and after a few poor performances he was left to rot on the side lines.

Giving him the captains arm band at Besiktas was a stroke of genius. Not a natural captain but like RVP at Arsenal he has become even better

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know. I use to be the biggest supporter of his and still do follow him periodically, but his style of play can be detrimental to certain teams. For me, team buildup needs to be slow and he needs to see much of the ball. Thats why he shined so much for Porto and is shining for Beskitas now. Teams that play a faster style or in a faster league he tends to summer, the same can be said if he doesn't see alot of the ball.

I still think his biggest bet, if he does want to enter the world stage again, is in Italy for him.

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIe0rs1TiRc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIe0rs1TiRc&feature=related[/ame]

He does tricks like this, when he should be more of a complete player for portugal. Can you imagine a trio like Quaresma-Nani-Ronaldo in form, on the same pitch?? Convert CR as a striker... you'll see instant offensive!

22. Soulrak

Soulrak Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's obvious just by seeing his history what his problem is. He needs the ball & he needs free reign to be creative or else it won't work for him. See Porto & Besiktas for example. I don't think it has much to do with the fast or slow style. Matter of fact I think he did OK in England where it's fast paced. Problem is he needs the ball for him to truly shine & do his thing. It doesn't matter where he plays. Will he frustrate you? Sure. But in order to get the best out of Q he's gotta be a focal point in the offense & do it his way. The problem with Italy for him is it's usually methodical, strategic & based on defending. The team build up proved to be bad for him at Inter. Add the fact that he was asked to track back & defend & it's a nightmare situation for him.

What it all boils down to is what he's allowed to do. He needs the ball & he needs free reign. When he's got that he can be so fun to watch. That's really it. You won't change him. He is what he is.

23. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    He is injured right ? Anyone know for how long ?

24. 1903

1903 Member

Apr 24, 2008
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    three weeks.

25. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup. I believe it is a KNEE injury. Big loss.