The Ricardo "Q-man" Quaresma Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by fcp4life, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The problem with Quaresma isn't so much his talent(actually maybe it is), its a combination of his type of talent and his mentality. Off the field hes a humble enough guy, and it comes through his personality, but on the field...holy. He ALWAYS has to be the man on the team. The teams where he was successful, Porto, and now seems to be Beskitas, he is given the ball and is told here, make something happen.

I have said it before and I will say it again, hes like a Riquelme wide player, he always needs to have the ball or be very near it to be effective, and the players need to run around him. At Porto this worked, he was one the most talented player with the ball on that team. The others were "supplemented players" with Anderson, Lucho, Lisandro. For Porto Quaresma would try to attack a side, move after move, sometimes it would work sometimes it was overkill, then it would be trivela trivela trivela. If those options fails he usually kicks the ball backwards toward the defense, and waits to get it again, or kicks it to the middle of the field, and follows the ball upwards.
    He was Porto's main gun.

The same thing is now happening in Turkey, and they put players around him that are playing the same type of role as he had at Porto. Guti = Lucho, Bobo = Lisandro, Nihat = Anderson.

Its no coincidence that when he's put on teams that are busting with talent, Barcelona, Chelsea, Inter, where he CANNOT hold the ball forever, as there are just as talented players if not more talented, around him that can do just as much damage, he ends up struggling.

That is his downfall, its his mentality that he CHOOSES not to adapt. At Chelsea you saw he was starting to develop a left foot, because defenders were anticipating his moves, he didn't have as much time to think on the ball, and hold onto it forever, so he also became quicker with his reactions and decisions. I thought he was actually making progress in the EPL. Then he returned to Italy and it was back to the bullshit, Trivelas etc..etc..etc

Is he a good player. Yes. Can he adapt. No. Should he have made the Portugal squad. No. Should have he made it before Ruben Amorim with Nani, Varela out. Yes.

2. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I say bring this man back to the NT. He's confident right now, so let's take advantage of that. We need anybody that can help create some offense, and that's what this man does, when he's on. And he's ON now.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Disagree. With Nani and Varela back in the mix he shouldn't be considered. Nani on a good day is one of the best wingers in the world, he is fast, quick, and capable with both feet. Not to mention he is one of the best crosser that Portugal has at its display. Varela is also versatile. He can play as a striker or as a winger, and will also deliver with either foot, not to mention both players are more potent from distance. With Quaresma, he may be more talented with the ball at his feet compared with Varela, but certainly not Nani. And Varela leaves defenses thinking twice. With Quaresma, you know the Trivela is coming... or the cut in...

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    or the rabona :D

5. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Q7 is winner a leader type player. Nani is not , to me.

And, Fellas,
    tonight game uefa cup,
    Q7 scored another classic magic of his foot.
    what beauty of goal that was............

6. besiktasfan

besiktasfan Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Turkey
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Q7 scored another amazing goal tonight !!

in the 20th minute he scored the first goal of Besiktas ! Besiktas won 4-0

Guti scored the second . Young talent Necip scored the 3rd and Holosko 4th .

Besiktas : 4 Helsinki:0

7. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
  8. besiktasfan

besiktasfan Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Turkey
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
  9. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007

For real?...not sure if the official list has been released yet, but he deserves it in my opinion.

10. Leo31291

Leo31291 New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To be fair he was very good for Chelsea everytime he put on the shirt. He knew he had to make an impression and he did. Just unfortunate Guus Hiddink was set in his ways and didn't play him, didn't stop Ricardo coming off the bench though when Chelsea needed a cutting edge (which they still do) in a game for example Portsmouth away

11. besiktasfan

besiktasfan Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Turkey
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    well it is almost official ..Portugal Football Federation informed him as they plan to re call him for National Team .. So he should be prepared :)

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Beskitas, how can we ever repay you for what you've done?

The Quaresma from Sporting is ********ing back, the MUSTANG is ********ing roaring once again:D

13. Paul Sousa

Paul Sousa Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Well said.

14. besiktasfan

besiktasfan Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Turkey
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Exciting Draw :

Besiktas and Porto will play in the same group in UEFA European League . So it will be exciting to watch Quaresma for both sides .

Here the group is :
    Besiktas
    Porto
    CSKA Sofia
    Rapid Vien

15. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    real excited to see Quaresma vs Porto

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Besiktas is now one of my faviorte teams, if Sporting dont win europa i wouldnt mind seeing them win.

crazy fans, and they have quaresma:D

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Guti is such a maestro.

18. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    I guess Quaresma is now ahead of Simao on the NT depth chart (now that Simao has retired).

It's time for Quaresma to reek some havoc on the NT, team up with Cristiano and terrorize our opponents. We can only hope.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its still a no brainer for me. CR and Nani.

20. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree.

21. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    me too...but i wouldnt mind quaresma and varela as impact subs off the bench. Thats amazing depth.

22. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quaresma should be behind Coentrao in the depth chart for wingers. I think Coentrao is right behind Ronaldo for wingers...but Nani is right there with him

23. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Contreao should be strictly used on defense....we have way too many wingers that have NT potential.

24. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While he is nasty at defense, he's still better as winger.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I disagree.. But its a moot point between me and you I find. :p