The Ricardo Carvalho thread

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by T.Reis, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Portugal Fan

Portugal Fan New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Vancouver
    I think he will be ok. Fernando Meira and Jorge Andrade will make sure it goes ok

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly. Meira is wonderful himself.

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Real Madrid plan £20M bid for Chelsea's Carvalho .

4. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    I don't see that happening, With Terry constantly injured and Carvalho making beautiful passes up the field and scoring goals. I don't think Chelsea is going to be letting him go.

5. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    Ricky is Mourinho's girlfriend. They are inseperable, if Ricardo is to leave that means Mourinho is also, which I doubt, so...

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets not forget about Ferreira.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mourinho will stay, So far it looks like he wants Ballack & Shevy to leave.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Back from injury and without Mourinho :)

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, you could expect to be less Portuguese influence on Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised if Ferreira and Carvalho eventually leave. Do not expect any more young Portuguese and possibly Brasilian talent coming onto that team now....

Carvalho and Ferreira have been under Mourinho's wing for how long now? 4 years? 5?

10. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    6 is my guess. 3 at Chelski, 2 with Porto and one with Leiria.

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I don't think either one ever played for Uniao.
    You're thinking of Derlei

12. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    You're right. Thanks for clearing that up.

13. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    El Nino Fernando Torres says Ricardo Carvalho is the best of the CDs in the Premier League:

"Liverpool striker Fernando Torres believes Chelsea's Ricardo Carvalho is the best of a bad bunch among defenders in the Premier League.
    Torres insists defenders' reliance on brawn over brain has made his life in England easier than expected.
    The 24-year-old found the net 24 times in the top flight in 2007-08 - the most successful debut season ever by foreigner in goalscoring terms.
    And he insists he met his toughest opponent in Chelsea's Portuguese centre-half, who he rates above Carvalho's Blues team-mate and England captaincy candidate John Terry.
    "Terry is captain so gets a much higher profile. But he's only secondary to Carvalho," Torres told The Sun.
    "Ricky is superb. He has every quality that is needed."
    Torres added: "The central defenders (in the Premier League) are usually big, strong, aggressive lads.
    "I guess it is probably because of these characteristics that the majority think they can solve problems by getting tough with me.
    "But the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...d-bunch---Torres?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=177

14. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    and I agree :)

15. alfredo1

alfredo1 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    germany
    ricardo definately is one of the best. for me top5 worldwide...

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Such a brilliant defender. Rarely makes a mistake, and marks his man the way a defender should.

One of the best in the euros, so far.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Irreplaceable.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Posted by Joelzinho

Irreplaceable

Not after the poor performance vs Germany :rolleyes:

19. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Overall for the tournament he was great. Our defense as a whole was bad vs Germany.

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I saw it differently, He wasn't his usual effective self. It may have something to do with the short adaptation period to partner with Pepe. Their CD partnership chemistry was not good and it showed in every game not just the last one. Since I don't know, I'm speculating that Carvalho reacted as someone who felt up-ended by someone less qualified taking over as boss. If you re-play the games see if I'm in the right by noticing a retracting ego in the presence of an expanding one , that being Pepe, of course. His demeanure is a passive expective rather than aggressive assertive or dominating one . I would put his performance at 70-75% of his previous NT form, and that's me probably being generous.

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good critique but I believe he was tired and overworked. The same with Ronaldo, these guys pull in a lot of minutes for their respective clubs.

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Doing well at his new club, Monaco. Has been a starter and aside from losing his speed his positioning and air ability puts him in great shape for a return to NT, if P. Bento ever forgives him. :)

23. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I always thought he was still good. His first season at Madrid he was their best defender, then he had a shitty start to the second season, the whole fiasco happened and then Ramos moved the CB and Carvalho never had a chance to get a run of games. I remember last year Carvalho actually played quite a few games and played well so it was a good catch for Monaco, I could see him giving them at least 2 good years.

We could still use him on the NT, he'sa different kind of CB but Bento seems to never forgive so I doubt it will happen. Plus he hasn't been a part of the team for a while and it's better to try and bring in some younger defenders since Carvalho probaly will retire soon.

24. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best Portuguese defender of all time, easily.

In his prime years of 04-11 he was simply world class, top 5 in the world.

We won't have a centreback with his genius positioning, timing of the tackle, and anticipatory read of the play for a long long time.

Pepe is a brute, based on pure physical beast mode who when he keeps his head in it is highly effective, Bruno Alves is a caveman of pure power, neto is similar, but nowhere near as good...

25. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Would love to see him back but the ship has sailed.