The Return of the Special One

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by the101er, Feb 15, 2009.

1. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn't mind him back, but I have a huge fear that we'd have a Keegan episode.

3. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Don't think it'd be that bad....because if Mourinho were to come back, he'd have the same core to work with, while Keegan worked with a completely different team.

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well aware of that, but my big fear is we expect miracles to be worked and it goes awry.

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    could very well happen. Good point.

6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ffs Kazuma with due respect comparing Keegan to Jose is like comparing Titus Bramble to JT...

7. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah if I were an Inter fan I'd be pretty mad after reading those comments. What kind of a manager says that he thinks he'll go back to his old team while he's managing a different one? Oh yeah I forgot who we're talking about! :D

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    In fairness to Kaz, I believe he is talking about fans expecting Jose to deliver the moon and that possibly not happening and the fans having some backlash tarnishing what would be a stellar image with the club. A realistic thought imo.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's also why I'm apprehensive to having Zola manage us.

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who wants to be fair to Kaz:confused::D

To teach you a little about Jose :p...The man averages a title about 3 out of every 4 years and has not had a home League losses since 2002 for three differnt teams in three Leagues... I'll take my chances

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed good sir, but I do think Kaz raises a good point. Perhaps its time to open this can of worms but it was no secret that there was a school of thought going around saying that perhaps Jose had been sussed a little and thats another reason the results were not going the way they should. Too many games up 1-0 dominating possession only to conceed a sloppy goal which we started to do from set pieces as well.

I have no doubts that we would have won at least one trophy under Jose last season and would be nowhere near the mess we are in now, however, with the standard of success he set- what happens if he returns and immediately fails to deliver either the Prem or the CL in two seasons? Would fans continue to be patient? I wouldnt complain with any trophy but you know there would be contingent moaning about not winning the Prem or the CL and this is where I believe Kaz has a very valid point.

12. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Love it :D

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well tbf giving up a goal or two more than we were used to might have had something to do with having one centerback most of the season, having mf's playing cb and right back and getting no support after having two cbs sold against his wishes, and yet still winning two trophys. Funny how many use year 3 against him and some like me thought that might have been his best coaching job here.

Who knows what happens if he stays here last year but he was ahead of ManU when he was fired despite the slow start, would not likely have lost the Carling Cup, lost to Barnsley, screwed up has many games as Grant, so I think a double or treble was quite possible. We almost did that using his "sussed" system, at like 60% of efficiency anyway.

I don't think he was or would be any more sussed out than Sir Alec has been sussed out, speaking of whom, Sir Alec was owned by Jose, as was Rafa in the League and the voyeur.

Would he acheive like he did before who knows but that "who knows" applies to who ever will be coaching so you need to look at what is most likely, based on the numbers, Jose would have us with out a League home loss and would win the Top 4/5 Derby and lose very few matches to the teams we should beat, do well in the Boxing Day congestion, which almost always leads to success in the Premiere League and perhaps the CL if we did'nt play the bindippers:rolleyes:

Assuming he wins Serie A this year that makes 3 League titles in his last 4 years in the top Leagues; League Titles 6 out of the last seven full seasons. Also took Leria to their best season in history though he did not win the League and in the only other year he did not win the League was at Porto when he started in Jan and went 11-2-2 to push them to third.(stole that last bit from Wiki, can't say I watched much of Porto or Leria :D)

Based on the numbers if you bring in anyone else other than Sir Alec they are "less likely" to acheive the success Jose wold again, IF supported by Roman, which would be the kicker that would have to be worked out first, and I don't mean huge $ just the normal support a club with our ambition needs.

What is "most likely" is that some supporters will not be happy or satisfied regardless and will find fault and complain, like they did when were winning our first titles in fifty years, including some here occassionally who I have great respect for, though like Roman perhaps they are realizing they were not as easy to get as they looked.

Also apart from all that I am not one to care about tarnishing the past, I rather work on making the future as good as it can be and also I think one way or another Jose will be back in the League within a couple of years and I would like our chances far better with him as against him but all that said I don't see him coming this summer at all or anytime son. So hopefully Guus does the job or the Scottish Jose comes back soon as gaffer.

14. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly, Ferguson and Capello would be the only other managers that I would consider instead of Jose.

Not saying there aren't options that could be as successful but no one is more proven than those three as managers IMO.

Are we seriously complaining that Jose wants to come back eventually?

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    lobo

I think your post is spot on and very good, but it also highlights the point which Kaz was trying to make (I hope so Kaz or I may be missing the mark) that Jose would be expected to deliver success, and rightly so, but what happens if/when he does not? I would of course expect him to win, but I think the interesting point raised here is that so many would immediately want Jose back but what happens if he isnt winning? Its a fair question imo.

16. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think any manager that comes in is going to be expected to win, so why not choose one who gives us the best chance at winning and will have way more slack with the fans than probably anyone else.

17. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    No, I dont think anyone is complaining about the possibility, no matter how distinct, of Jose coming back.

although AndyB may change the flow of things in the morning.... :D

18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    another good point

but what are the expectations of Manager X vs Jose

I would have to think they are a little higher with Jose, no?

19. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With some fore sure, but I would say that the expectations of Scolari were just as high as Jose, and he didn't have a past to help keep the heat off.

20. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Well, I had a little less hope with Scolari than I would with Jose, to be honest, due to Scolari's lack of club level history.

I didn't think it would be this poor though, rather unfortunate really.

On a side note, I would like Jose to return eventually. However lets see how Hiddink does first. I would also safely assume that Mourinho could be happy at Inter for a few years.

21. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in these statements yet. Its Jose.

22. chief232

chief232 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Indeed.

What a nutter. :D

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    don't believe it, but maybe in 3-4 years, sure.

24. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair question and Ben already said a lot of what I would, but I suppose in the end if Jose no win you fire him like anyone else, I just think it far more unlikely that Jose would not win and I also think that people would be slightly more patient and the team less likely to lose confidence in a slump because he is proven.

Also think this is a moot discusion for at least another couple of years, I think Roman has another 2-3 manager tries in him before he would admit that making up with Jose is what is needed, but hopefully we don't reach that point

I'll just agree to disagree in advance with as you say Andy B's response:D