The return of the reserve league

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MagpieFan, Nov 16, 2010.

1. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's back!

I'm liking this. I think the reserve league fills a gap for player development that allows those who don't see regular time on the pitch to get out there in game experiences and learn.

Of course with all the injuries we tend to get, our roster generally sees action year round...:(

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly love it. A few more games for me to watch for free on Sunday. What's not to like?

3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news. And set up smartly.

The league continues to go in the right direction.

Slowly.

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you get to see the matches in DC's only soccer-specific stadium!

5. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    lets hope there not monday matches again, they moved em to monday so we all wouldnt show up :)
    players actually complained on other teams saying we were a distraction and the reserve league was a learning league, yeah learn to deal with us bitches!

6. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Equally important are the 30-man rosters and the 3 divisions.

Obviously the bigger roster, combined with the possibility they get rid of the restriction on "home grown" players will be big. Teams must learn to develop their own players!

Bradenton-style, where the team recruits families. The kid goes to a local school for 4 hours/day, then practice 4 times/week.

As for the 3 divisions, it's the future. I won't be surprised if we see the return of it next year for the regular season. Eventually this league will have 4 division with 5, then 6 teams (24 total). It will be a 33 game schedule (home/away with your "home division" and one other division, 1x with other two divisions - each year the other home/away division revolves).

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that's a test for 3 divisions again, I liked it when they did that. It sure makes more sense than constantly switching the fly-over teams between Eastern and Western Conferences when they aren't either anyway :)
    And it gives them more leeway with playoff possibilities too, without having to crown the NJ metros as West champs or the Coorsville Rapids as East Champs, since that always goes over so well.

Besides, we need a good tough blue-collar Norris Division :D

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Single table.

Just getting that out of the way.

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Did we get relegated to reserve league?

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the expense of cross-country travel was one of the reasons Gold Pride gave for dropping out of the WPAS. Having divisions that are truly geographic and maximizing intradivisional games should save a bundle.

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing specific to you, but why is it people never realize that you CAN get too much of a good thing?

Playing your rival only twice, once on each field, makes the game a much bigger deal.

I'll take a single table with all the "outrageous" travel costs. Thanks.

12. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah the red sox/yankees now playing 300 times a year has lost its lusters, interleague now just sucks. well baseball sucks but using that as a baseline

single table home and home and ill be happy, sorry but for clubs like RSL, FCD, COL they cant bus ANYWHERE, so they have to fly so why should they be penalized and the rest of the league be able to just hop on a bus?

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree, playing each team twice makes all the competitions exactly the same, no reason to care about any specific team, they're all the same at that point. Boring.

I'll take regional conferences over single table any day of the week, or any 9 months out of the year as it were :)

There is no reason for us to always play RSL and Colorado on the road every single year. Or Dallas and Houston for that matter since that seems to magically fall in July or August.

I am not offended or confused by an unbalanced schedule - though it might make the rewarding of the Supporter's Shield a bit dicey from time to time. Yet, somehow we seemed to manage, even in the shootout days (which I'll still take over PKs, btw) ;)

14. ian woodville

ian woodville Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I doubt that the reserve league will improve player development very much. It didn't in the past. It's certainly good to allow the scrubbies opportunities to play in a more or less competitive situation, but it is just that 'more or less competitive.'

If you want youngsters to improve, they need to play in authentically competitive environments --- which is why clubs elsewhere lend their young players to clubs at lower levels. A number of current Premiership stars have said that it was their time on loan in the lower divisions that really taught them how to compete. Duplicating this in the USA would not be easy, but I think that MLS ought to make negotiating a real working agreement with the Second Division leagues/clubs a much higher priority. A really adventuresome MLS owner would probably go further and acquire an interest in a second division club and use it as something like a farm team along major league baseball's model. Perhaps assign a half dozen players to the lower club each year.

I also am skeptical of the current fad for 'developing your own players.' First, developing young players is risky. The younger the player the harder it is to discern his potential. (Cruyf, for example, did not play for a national side until he was in his twenties.) Second developing young players is expensive. It is not a coincidence that football and basketball in the US are content to allow the NCAA act as its farm system. And most soccer clubs around the world allow other clubs to identify and develop young players. A few big clubs have large academies, but many first division teams do not. They count on buying youngish players from other clubs. And even clubs with allegedly successful academies usually have only one or two starters that are their own products. So for poverty stricken MLS to start down this path seems a stretch.

Working with the NCAA or improving summer leagues would seem more cost effective ways to go.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I would argue that you would have to stop awarding the Supporters Shield with an unbalanced schedule spread across a bunch of "conferences*".

*What are they conferring about anyway?

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the expanded roster and NCAA rules revisions will have a big effect on this...essentially in the prior version of the reserve league you had 4 or 5 first team players on the field who's primary focus was either 1) stay in shape without getting injured or 2) recovery, you had 1 or 2 guest players who wanted the challenge but had no stake in results or impressing coaches, and 5 guys busting their asses to try and stand out and get into the first team squad.

Now there will be some first team guys in the stay in shape or recover modes, but it will be 1 or 2 playing a half each, 7 or 8 guys trying to make the first team squad and 2 or 3 trying to earn a professional contract.

You realize you're really swimming against the tide on this one, and while it may be a 'fad', it is THE proven development system throughout the rest of the world. Cruyff may not have played for a national team until his twenties but he joined the Ajax youth academy at ten.

Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Pique, Fabregas, Pedro, Bojan Krkic, Mikel Arteta, Victor Valdes, Pepe Reina...these are just some currently playing youth products. From one club.

To have an academy system is expensive, but many of the costs are relatively fixed and the marginal cost of adding players is low...so if you follow the strategy at all making it a prominent part of your overall effort is not much more demanding than making it a PR effort. Plus playing in lower divisions is not the first step in a development process, it is a finishing step for a process that take 5-10 years.

In todays professional environment, developing players like Najar or Hamid can pay for an entire academy system for several years. Hell, the Arguez transfer fee (yes, not academy related, but illustrative for the purposes of showing fees for unproven prospects) would probably cover a good portion of academy costs for a year.

Gotta disagree with you on this one...Just look at some of the young players coming your of Academy systems since MLS really ramped up on the concept (about 3 years ago IIRC); Najar, Hamid, Shanosky and Agudelo come to mind.

17. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Boy, there's a news flash for you! FB is comfortable with things that are "unbalanced"! :D

18. ian woodville

ian woodville Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Of course, modern players get their start in academies, but if you are the owner of a low budget club, you want that to be some other club's academy.

You have to keep in mind that the success rate is remarkably low. A recent study showed that of all the 16 year-olds at professional clubs in England, fewer than 5% are still playing professional soccer five years later. Now that's where there are nearly 100 full time professional clubs and a population a quarter of the US's and soccer experts on virtually every street corner.

And you can throw in the destabilizing effect reliance on academies will have on competitiveness in MLS. It's great for NY or DC or LA, but if you are in Utah, it's pretty grim. Their academy is in Arizona as a result.

For me, this academy thing is just like the designated player -- someone's pet notion that the league can't manage to resist. It won't be the end of Western civilization as we know it, but I suspect you will see more than a few clubs losing interest once they calculate the odds on locating a potential starter and start adding up the costs.

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5%, for even a limited academy like DCU's that would be a player every other year. But I think your second sentence illustrates why any MLS team should be more successful...they get to be more selective. DCU is in a metropolitan area of 7 million, with no competition for soccer talent.

By your previous argument these are the teams that should benefit the most from academies...saving money that they can spend on marketing - or scouting - and then scooping up everyone else's products

For me the biggest reason that the academies are important, and one of the reasons USSF pushed the development is that before players need to be forged by competition (the whole loaning out to lower divisions) they need to play in an environment where they can learn tactics and strategy without the imperitive to win all game at all costs...there is no other elite level where games are viewed more as learning labs than must-win competitions. Youth clubs, especially elite ones, play for wins.

The US has traditionally fielded strong youth teams at age levels where technical skill and athleticism are the main traits influencing games (upt to U18 or so) at levels where tactical considerations become important the US has fallen off (U20 & U23) only to have to make it up at the senior level. It's not an accident.

A slightly different example...Freddy Adu, one of his coaches at Benfica said Freddy's tactical understanding was equivalent to a 3rd grade level. Part of the reason for that was turning pro as a 15 year old, Freddy neve had the luxury of playing multiple positions, being exposed to multiple tactical approaches, and being allowed to experiment in games. He had one job...help his team win the next game. And all he had to do was know how to play the one or two positions that Nowak wanted him to play in the way Piotr wanted him to play it. Now if he had stayed with Nowak for the next 10 years, that might not have been a problem, but he didn't.

20. ian woodville

ian woodville Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Gosh, I would have thought that Freddy's career was evidence that adding young players to a MLS roster was not a good idea. Frankly, I believe almost nothing I hear or read about Freddy and his alleged deficiencies, but let's assume for the moment that when he arrived in Europe his soccer development was somehow stunted. He had just spent 4 (?) years playing for what likes to think of itself as a club committed to sophisticated soccer and for a coach generally thought of as one of the better coaches in the US. And now we think that adding five or six young players to every MLS roster is going to help them develop... I sense a major disconnect here.

Nevertheless, my point remains the same. If I am running a club with a small budget, I want to play the percentages. As players get older, it gets easier to decide who will succeed. I would much rather pick from 20 year olds than from 16 year olds. And if I can get someone else to do the hard and expensive work of training young players, I would be still happier.

21. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Freddy was in a first team non-developmental setting...as opposed to having a developmental academy for players ranging from ages 14-20 where a handful of 100+ players are getting occasional field time with pros in a reserve game.

And I'll take one more shot at changing your mind. If you run that small team, would you rather pick from 20 year olds who play against college players and over 1 weekend play against a group of about 50 other elite college players. Or from 20 year olds who have played against pros for 2 or 3 years and who's attitude and personality you've seen in practice on a regular basis for that same time? And how many wasted first round picks (at $80-100K) start making your academy look a little more fiscally sensible.

Otherwise, I suppose we have to agree to disagree.

Ooh, and I should say, I'm not one of those posters who hates college soccer...I love it, I think it is great that academy and guest players can now play reserve games and not lose eligibility. I think college soccer has more than shown it is a good option for even elite players. I just think the academy teams produce better players than the alternatives and that, especially in MLS - without a lot of competition from lower-division clubs - they are potentially cost effective if not profitable.

22. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    There is so much wrong with your post I don't even know where to start.

1. The reserve league won't help player development???? Wondo and Cummings are each products of the reserve league....and they were 2 of the best players in MLS this year, I think that speaks for itself.

2. The "fad" of developing young players has been around just as long as the sport....just because MLS just started doing it doesn't mean it isn't a time tested money/player maker.

3. Developing young players is not expensive, in fact it is relatively cheap....there is a reason many of the smaller poorer clubs (Brazilian/Argentine) rely on the developing/selling of youth just to stay alive.

4. Every, let me repeat EVERY first division side in Europe/South America has a youth set up(I'd wager 2nd/3rd divisions aswell but am unsure about the smaller nations)....I have no idea where you get the notion otherwise.

5. A fan of D.C. United should be able to see how valuable the youth set up is just looking at Najar. This player cost pennies to develop now he is the best player on your team, he is winning games he is selling kits and if he/DC are lucky he could be sold for Altidore money in a few years (10 million). If he is that basically sustains DC's academy for the next 20+years without selling another player....so if Hamid or Conor S or hell someone not signed like Jalen Robinson is sold its all right into DC's pockets or reinvested on the field.

6. Working with the NCAA to do what.....add games? change the rules? Neither of those are really options so basically there is so little that can be done to the NCAA...how do you improve summer leagues?? The players that play in them already do...without improving the quality of player at a younger age (at the academy...) nothing can be done. Most player development is done in player in the early teens, and by the time they are 18-20 the level of growth is severely stunted, that is why academies are so important, and why you can't count on the NCAA to develop players like football and baseball do.

23. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. The stars of the team will probably come from the academy and the solid core role players will come from the draft. That why I think DCU needs to do well in the draft this year with 5 picks. With only 1 more potential slot to add an academy player(assuming Najar and Hamid go to the senior team), DCU will need to draft well in order to do well in 2011(much like NY did in 2010 with Tchani and Ream).