The Return of the #11

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Mar 7, 2014.

1. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Who will wear the #11 in the WC? Your thoughts, your opinions, etc.

2. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I have this gut feeling that Antonio might wear it just because I believe it will motivate him and he'll know that he's carrying the armor of his best friend. I honestly feel like there's no one better to represent it than him and he will make sure to give it his all. Any other striker that carries the #11 (which is a very significant number in our futbol) might feel a bit of additional pressure which is something I don't want. My vote goes to Antonio! Please the wear the #11!

3. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  4. X@vier

X@vier Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    My first option is Antonio Valencia as well, my second option would be Mendez if he gets to go to the world cup, I know a lot of people think he is too old and he is done, but his experience and ability to see the field when in the game makes him a great player. It would be his 3rd WC, if anyone is going to represent Ecuador, the NT, and why not el Chucho, it should be him.

5. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    completely agree. I wouldn't mind Mendez putting on his jersey either.

I've been wanting to get this off my chest, but is it just me or does it bother people how Felipe Caicedo wears the number 8? It just bugs me. I wish Mendez would claim it back.

6. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree with either of those two players using 11. I don't mind anyone in the team honestly, they all have played well and have represented Ecuador very well internationally.

7. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Symbolic gesture: AV
    Leadership and experience: Mendez
    Both would wear it with distinction

8. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I say they give the number to the team captain, Toño. They used to get along really well and he would probably try to honor him by scoring some goals.

9. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Your not alone, it even bothered me when he used the number 16 immediately after AV switched to 7 (2012) and even before when he started using the number 25 (after AV joined United).... If Mendez does come along to Brasil he should claim his number 8 back!! IMO Felipe should use the number 23, it suites him... And I'm also glad Jeff switched to number 7. Oh, and why the hell is Ayovi still using the number 10 .. I would like Antonio to wear it but he seems to like his 16 too much lol ... I'd even give it to Noboa! A LWB/LB wearing the number 10 on a national team!?!? Smh

10. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    well it is weird Ayovi has always had the 10 but i'd let him keep it b/c of his seniority on the squad and b/c he's a player with great touch...of the few we have that has quality touch. I'd give Marlon or Fidel the 9. Ener with the 13, Antonio 11, Jeff 7, Mendez 8, etc. If Ayovi would give up the 10 i'd give it to Arroyo, just b/c it suits him more than the rest of the guys. Antonio won't ever give up the 16, let's not count on it lol.

11. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Ayovi should use his old number 15, I respect his seniority but a left back wearing the number 10 is just ridiculous! And I'm all for giving the number 10 to Arroyo but when was the last time he started a game for the NT... Hopefully he gets called up for May and as for the 11 I would like for Enner to use it, we don't need to put that pressure on AV (mentally)

12. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    but putting that pressure on Enner sound ridiculous we already know very well what kind of player Valencia is he can handle pressure and i feel like something like this would motivate him even more as much as Enner would fit being a number 11 in Mexico he is not ready for that on the national team and Edison Mendez doesn't have to much time left being part of the national team or at least i think don't get me wrong hell of a player but his age and playing time for me isn't enough for the national team any more he would eventually have to pass that number up soon and i really want youth player to step up to the national team it Valencia or nothing for me this dude been with Benitez since el nacional it has to go to Valencia

13. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Valencia can handle that type of pressure? So what happened last season? And as for Edison Mendez he has already given that number up a while back! But Felipe using that number 8 looks "ridiculous"... If not Mendez then I wouldn't mind somebody like Ibarra using 8... But Mendez has been called up!

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    you're confusing two completely different situations. Valencia wearing the 7 at Manchester is another story. He was the successor of none other than Cristiano Ronaldo and players like George Best, David Beckham, Eric Cantona to name a few. In other words, he was wearing a jersey that is only worn and given to Manchester United legends. Of course there's going to be pressure because expectations of him increased once he carried that number on his back.

In Ecuador's NT, the situation is different. Ecuador is home to him and he's the captain of the NT...in other words he's ALREADY the face of Ecuador and he represents that band to the fullest since he's put it on. There's no higher pressure for Antonio than to lead his NT and he's done just fine at it. Cristian Benitez was his best friend and someone who he grew up with. How will wearing Benitez's jersey make him feel pressure? If anything, Antonio wears and has already worn Chucho's 11 under his jersey when he played in the Qualifiers after Benitez passed. I think there's nothing more that would motivate him than to carry his best friends number on his back. There's no one else, besides maybe Mendez, who is deserving of carrying that significant number on the NT. No one.

Two completely different situations. Chucho's 11 has direct significance to Antonio and doesn't really cause pressure in any way. In Ecuador Valencia is loved and supported 100% and everyone refers to him as the main symbol of the NT. In Manchester he is not looked at in the same way, so carrying a significant number at Manchester like the #7 WILL cause pressure b/c he's gotta live up to it.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Now this ^ IS pressure. You see the difference? Ener is a noob. He's just getting adjusted to the NT and becoming a striker (a position that he was a stranger to until Rueda put him there a few months ago). Ener already has enough to handle w/ "replacing" Benitez up front and convincing Rueda and Ecuadorian fans that he should be in the starting line up. Ener doesn't need anymore pressure than knowing he has to score in the WC. I think that's as about enough pressure as he should have this early in his NT career.

16. phillyfanslc

phillyfanslc Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    100% agree Enner is the last guy that should be getting that jersey. Too much pressure.

17. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Give it to Fidel, he barely knew Chucho, spent time in Brazil where pressure is everywhere, hes done well wherever hes played, besides he'll be bench for us. cant criticize him for being on the bench.

18. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Some people thrive under pressure. I know by experience.