The Return of Lucho the Legend: The 2014-15 Season Thread, Part I

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dunno if unpopular, but it seems rather straightforward that Suarez > Alexis.

That said, I have a high opinion of Alexis as well (and I'm more a fan of his than of Suarez's). I wonder if it would be possible to sign Suarez, and keep Alexis - use Pedro in the Suarez deal instead of Alexis?

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Neymar?

It was a challenge for Messi some time ago to fit to Argentina's system, to get the best out of him to benefit the team, and eventually, he did that. For Neymar, the challenge is the opposite: make your club play match the NT play. Last season, he didn't do that. Hopefully this season he will.

3. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i like alexis a lot, he really grew on me this season. he's a hard worker and a good creator with a good attitude, but he's a very unreliable finisher, even if he was our second highest scorer this season.

suarez is one of the best finishers out there, plus he's comfortable playing anywhere across the front line, he's got much more experience being under pressure than alexis did when he signed, and he's a team player who learned the ajax system and will fit in well at barca both on and off the field since he has family in barcelona.

i'm not happy to see alexis leave, but will be ok with it if barca is able to bring in someone better suited to their needs, and suarez is one of the very few that fits that bill.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    there's a good profile of Barca's new GK, Claudio Bravo, on Goal.com.
    Highlights his outstanding leadership qualities, something barca missed very badly at the back after Valdes went down injured. He's excellent with the ball at his feet, even managed to score from a free-kick once, although he can be guilty of over confidence at times.

Given his age, La Liga experience, and being a native Spanish speaker, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting the season as the starting GK to take pressure off TerStegen and give the German some time to settle in and get used to his new surroundings. So Bravo could be our starter in the short term, with TerStegen expected to eventually take over and be the long term successor to Valdes.

5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

A new sponsor on the shirt. I think it replace the TV3 badge, not sure, but it's big and ugly and makes the shirt worse, imo. Worth the money? Dunno. The design of the shirt itself is good this year though.

6. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So, this Turkish appliance brand is now our third biggest sponsor after Nike and Qatar airways...and now in front of local estrella damm and lacaixa.
    Interesting.

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we still have those locals-favoring guidelines regarding socio membership? Guess it doesn't apply to sponsors.

jfcule repped this.
  8. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yep.

That's what makes it so weird. Barca has always nurtured and favored the local market. It's an odd decision in that they favor a specific foreign market over local. I mean, it's not like beko is a global brand.

9. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    boo!
    i suppose some sacrifices would have to be made considering how much they are planning on spending on new signings this summer. but still....

10. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I also hate the placement. I hope it won't be on all the official jerseys. With Qatar on the front, UNICEF on the back and this on the side, the kit is starting to look a bit too NASCAR-y for my taste.

ShortyMac and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  11. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ugh, if the main difference all these awful desecrations of the shirt makes is being able to sign a couple squad players (a la Alex Song), I'll take the clean shirt and promotion of a couple canteranos.

A few years ago I remember hearing it was possible to buy the FCB handball jersey which was the same as the futbol one but without the sponsors. I think that's changed now. :thumbsdown:

What I'd give to be a soci, just to get rid of this corporate bonehead regime.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bingo.

13. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ironically enough, I came back on the board tonight doing research on the "real age of Freddy Adu" and stumbled back in one of my favorite stomping grounds. Promise to be on more this season. Still a Cule but less of a forum poster.

BTW. I was indifferent or a bit worried about the appointment of Lucho...but given his approach to offensive tactics and fitness, I am interimly sold.

jfcule, os_mutante, Viscaelbarca and 2 others repped this.
  14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Forget Lucho. I want to know if you think the club will miss Valdes? :p

Irregardless, it's great to have you back! :cool:

jfcule repped this.
  15. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LOL.... Love that! Valdes has grown on me since I was last in the building. With that said, there is definitely a particular goal-keeping style that thrives within the Barc system. Honestly, Bravo has a better shot at survival, unless Enrique plans on changing the defensive coverage, Ter Stegan will find it difficult to be as effective on the counter. Ter Stegan does fix the set play issue and overall shot stopping, but a majority of opportunities come from the counter, although most converted in set pieces, disproportionately.

unclesox repped this.
  16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]
    I stopped reading after this. :D

Lucho-the-Legend repped this.
  17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 to the thread title. Welcome back, Lucho!

inswinger and jfcule repped this.
  18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Indeed. Welcome back, Lucho!

19. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preliminary reports on Neymar's injury state that he is out for the rest of the World Cup with a broken vertebra. Seeing estimates of being out for 4-6 weeks.

20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Neymar with a broken vertebra. His World Cup is over. Out 4-6 weeks.

21. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope the thug that did this gets hounded to his grave !!

22. Obito Uchiha

Obito Uchiha Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wish Zuniga or whatever his name is got banned for at least 6 months for what he did. It's a lot worse than what Suarez did IMO.

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    lol ok

yellow card worthy, nothing more
    just maybe, maybe perhaps some could give a red

Very bad luck from Neymar though

unclesox repped this.
  24. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So ... reports say Neymar might be out for 6-7 months , with him gone and Suarez with the suspension then we have to rely on pedro-messi-alexis until they are available , unless they are going to sell alexis as well ...

25. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What reports say that?