The Return of Lucho the Legend: The 2014-15 Season Thread, Part I

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Bravo is 31 and has behind him
    WC experience
    SA qualifier experience
    La Liga Experience

give or take date of debut I would say Bravo has 7 years more experience and that counts in the gk position

2. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think some were from outside the EU and some were inside the EU but they all moved to Spain and are residents now. Not saying you are wrong, but I think these kids and their families are legal residents and are not trying to get work permits (although they might not all be EU citizens of course) - I really have no idea what the answer to this question is, I was just pointing out that making a bosman-type argument is a whole different thing than appealing a fifa disciplinary action to the CAS. There is also some aspect of the rule where the under-18 signings are not permitted unless the kid lives within 50 km of the border of the country of the club where he is trying to sign and the club is also within 50 km of that border. I have been confused about this situation from the beginning and would like somebody to explain it to me honestly!

3. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm not totally convinced by Lucho thus far, but unlike a lot of outright haters, I can recognize what he's been attempting this season game-to-game. I believe his long-term strategy has been to rotate for the first half of the season so: (1) the top players are fresh for the final crunch time in the spring, and (2) role players will have experience so he can count on them in big matches as subs or replacements for injured or suspended players.

It's a kind of tortoise vs. hare gambit Lucho's playing. We can already see Ancelotti's favorite XI and Mou's regular XI starting to falter in January. So far so good, since rotations might have cost us La Liga if we were 8+ points behind LPB, but we're within striking distance, with a Clásico at home still to come.

This article takes apart the 28 different lineups Lucho has used in 28 competitive matches:
    http://www.totalbarca.com/2015/opinion-pieces/in-defense-of-the-28/

evil_allan repped this.
  4. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This may help clarify. From last April:

NYfan repped this.
  5. Obito Uchiha

Obito Uchiha Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For once it's looking like we might just be better in the second half of the season than the first.

6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Solid performance from the team, keep it up.

Over half the Liga played, and our sometimes criticized defence has at least done well so far: 9 goals conceded.

7. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yep, jornada 19 is the midway point. Shall we start a new Season thread? Titles?

Vertical Passing and Vertical Stripes: The 2014-15 Season Thread, Part II

8. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Yeah, good idea "Lucho no Rotar Mucho": The 2014-15 Season Thread, Part II :p:p

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In all sudden, we hit 16 goals conceided just 1 in last 4 matches. 5-0, 3-1, 4-0, 4-0

ShortyMac repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, there's no doubt that year-after-year Barca have consistently been better in the first-half of seasons than the second-half.

11. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    MD saying, fwiw, we can sign players, but not register (=play) them.

If true, has at least two things going on there:

1. Possibly quicker adaptation periods, if a chance to train with the group prior to playing.
    2. If we want a player X from a club that plays CL, we can sign him in the summer (instead of Jan 2016) to avoid him being cup-tied.

lol still pretty awful going ffs

12. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Another possibility: sign and loan, even to the current team we're buying the player from. It'd be like "pre-ordering."

13. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Viscaelbarca repped this.