The return of Eddie Johnson

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pokemoncards, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's now on my business card.

I gotta say I love GAM as a nickname. It's the kind of line that if I came up with I'd be tickled. But that might be because there is not question that I'm a GAM - and perhaps the only questions is am I a GAOMFM.

Of course the joy of fandom and BS is it doesn't matter what EJ or Chowder likes. We cool insider nerd types can call a guy what we want. We are GAPosters.

2. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Forgive me for being behind the times but what exactly does Grown Ass Man mean? Is it some hip hop way of saying I am grown up? and if so why Grown Ass? I don't get it.

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's like if I called you a stupid ass poster. (Which you're not, by the way.)

EDIT: And here's a boring ass thread that I started and has gone nowhere:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286594

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this is SABS.

Stupid Ass bigsoccer!! ;)

MODS: Time to reroute 90% of this thread to USA - fans, etc. as we await real news and analysis!

5. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

No it isn't.

I can appreciate that urban speak is lost on the majority of posters on this website but wow...

In urban circles calling one's self a "Grown-Ass Man." is no different than saying he's a grown man.

Can't say it any simpler than that.

6. comeonoxford

comeonoxford New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that we can get enough firepower on the field to be competitive w/o EJ at his pre-injury form? It's hard for me to imagine a lineup that can score enough goals without him. Without him, then we've either got a big dropoff from McBride to Wolff/Twellman/Rolfe at forward or we're playing Donovan out of position and losing scoring from attacking mid, where our second best option at this point would probably be Reyna. With him, then you're bringing at least 4 legit goal scoring threats playing from their best positions, namely McBride, Johnson, Beasely and Donovan, and able to play to Reyna's strength in distribution and organization from defensive mid.

7. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago

i heard he is sick. . . of the nickname GAM. Does that count? :rolleyes:

8. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    the ASS is for emphasis like instead of saying "He's a broke fool" you can modify his level of brokeness by saying "he is a broke-ass fool".

9. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    "Grown-Ass Man" was coined by Bernie Mac in a stand-up bit of his. He also recently wrote a book of the same title.

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "GAM" thing is so lame. It is never going to have currency in the general public. Plus, Johnson dislikes it.

But, the nerds on Bigsoccer get off on it.

11. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    ...this from an officer of the local Lambda Lambda Lambda chapter.

12. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We have BUSH!! :D

13. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    why is it stupid, most "grown ass men" don't have time to play video games, it's not on the stupid level of any comment made from Ron Artest or others of that varity.

14. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Well, aren't you precious, hip and current. Maybe you can come along with me and serve as my interpreter the next time I dare visit my old neighborhood in Providence.

15. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Dude, you just took a run at one of my friends. You're out of line. I suggest that you do the gentlemanly thing and apologize. If you do that, we can go on with our lives as if nothing ever happened. If you don't, well, we may have to tax you.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ probably doesn't mind being called a "grown-ass man" by someone like DMB.

But he might think someone's making fun of him and his culture if it comes from a middle-aged white guy.

17. saxman

saxman Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Frederick,Maryland
    You are not the last of your kind. I care nothing for hip hop. (And I live in PG county Bennismalls!) Personally I think US Soccer and MLS would do well to stay away from any hip hop association. The culture is a total me culture. It's about me and my posse. And if you dis me I have to seek revenge plus some. And it's about my bling. Stay away US Soccer! Look where it got the NBA to associate itself with the hip hop culture. A woeful team in the Olympics that could neither play individually or as a team.They sucked!! And players in the NBA like Ron Artest who are more concerned with their career as a supposed "artist" than as a player. And even less about being a team player.

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i'd suggest artest difficulties are largely psychological and largely affected to living in poverty as a kid...

this rant against hip hop is coming very closely to being racist in tone....

making general statements about culture is a bit dangerous...

I wonder saxman has to say about dempsey's rhyming??

19. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Oh. My. God.

20. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    Yeah, we need to take US Soccer back to the time when it was the preserve of white suburban upper middle class kids. We were good then.
    It is ludicrous to trace theolympic defeat to hip hop. I mean, does totti listen to Jay-Z? is that his problem? bah.

21. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    I think that EJ's "grown ass man" comment was slightly in jest anyway. It comes from a cedric the enertainer routine about the phrase.

Oh and one other thing on "hip hop s bad for soccer"- what do you think was playing in the French locker room in 98? Many of the best players (and best team players- claude makalele) in the world listen to hip hop- it's a musical choice, not a statement of selfishness.

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm putting this thread out of it's misery. Let's try to stick to soccer folks.