The return of Eddie Johnson

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by pokemoncards, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    He (and us) have set the bar extremely high. It will be interesting to see the toan of these 'Johnson posts' if he doesn't find the back in these upcoming friendlies.

2. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    GAM is a stupid nickname.

3. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    GAM would not sound so stupid if it meant "goal a minute"
    or "goal a match". :cool:

4. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle has one cap against Venezuela

5. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
    You are correct, but what was even of greater stupidity is what EJ said to earn it.

Sometimes it is just better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you are immature than to open it and remove all doubt.

OK, he's young and full of testosterone...when he grows up he can have a new nickname. :rolleyes:

6. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Wait, its stupid for someone to say that theyre a Grown Ass Man? Since when? Im a Grown Ass Man, I pay my mutha truckin taxes!!

But really, I dont mind the nickname. I usually just refer to him as EJ though.

7. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Go to ussoccer.com. I would bet that they will have their usual assortment of videos, as well as podcasts, photographs, and written articles through the training camp and friendlies.

8. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We talked to EJ a few weeks ago and he is SO READY to back to playing! He says he feels good and his custom Nike shoes should help prevent further injuries **fingers crossed** He knows that some people don't think he's the real deal and is ready to prove himself, and NO he doesn't really like GAM.

9. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

"I don't play video games, I'm a Grown Ass Man."

How exactly is that stupid or immature?

:confused: :confused:

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're not 100% fans of them, because they like a style of music you don't like. Gotcha........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about "Azzuri killer" after this summer? :D

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's like art. If you have to ask, you won't understand. (But I'll give you a hint - the insertion of "ass" into the description is ironic, as the perceived meaning (I'm really am still a punk kid) is not the intended meaning (I'm a grown adult male and I do not partake of such childish things.) Had he simply said: I don't play video games, I'm a grown man, we would only scoff at him for considering himself a grown man when he had not yet been through a 12 step program, a divorce, a child's divorce, a sex change and gout (just speaking for me personally). But it is a bit like someone saying: Polite? I'm perfectly **********ing polite, **************. In other words, it's a great sound byte because it's kinda stupid, in a charming way.

13. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

He said he doesn't play videogames.

And this makes him "young," and his comment stupid (in your book)? :confused:

Wow.

14. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I'm too lazy, but can someone please find the Grown-Ass-Man-on-Fire fark?

INRE: "GAM", I wouldn't say he hates it. In the gatehouse at SLC the
    day after the Tico game, I showed him my FCD "GAM" kit, and he thought
    it was funny. I sat next to him from SLC to DFW, and he gave no
    indication whatsoever that he doesn't like the GAM moniker....
    and how can he, he coined it himself.

-bs

15. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I hope EJ is the real deal. And if anything motivates him, it's should be the euro team flocking to pick him up if he performs like he did after this WC. I don't get why others down plays his goals, if it's that easy to come by, Twellman would have scored a gagigabillion goals on those teams and removing all doubt that he's the Donald Trump of poaching.

16. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
    If you have to ask.... :eek:

17. Bellus Ludas

Bellus Ludas New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Greeality
    Just saw this after I posted...you do a much better job at this than me...

Regardless, I really don't care what EJ's nickname is. What is important is that he picks up where he left off. I want to see him on a scoring tear in Germany. Would love to see him "arrive" on the big stage, picked up by some big spending euro team and become rich and famous. Perhaps after a highly successful and lengthy career he will have time for video games. :D

18. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    For those of you intrigued by the side conversation about alternate nicknames for Eddie, I started a new thread on it.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286594

Of course, since this does not qualify as a serious "news and analysis" topic, I put it in Fans & Travel.

19. anticheese

anticheese Member

Jan 24, 2003
    If it's like art, then why are you telling other people how they would perceive his comment?

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Because I'm a grown ass critic.

21. ifleming16

ifleming16 is gonna makedamnsure

Aug 17, 2005
    Cola/HHI, SC
    OH COME ON ALREADY

I'm going to explain this to the feeble minds of this forum. The nickname "GAM" is not going to go away anytime soon, regardless of whether Eddie likes it or not. The irony of the comment is that in saying he isn't a child, he made an immature statement. You can argue the maturity of the comment all you want, but it makes no difference, he could have just said "No, I don't play video games." That aside, it's a moot argument anyway because people are going to take it as they like and use the moniker because it's just funny. I enjoy it, many other BS posters do as well, some don't, but to each his own. Everyone's allowed their own perception and opinion.

Now please, I beg you, get over it and back on topic.

22. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAC

23. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Actually, I won't get over it and back on topic. It's a stupid nickname and a typical product of the nerdy insider mentality that often prevails on these boards. And Johnson doesn't like it. EJ or Johnson, prosaic as they may be, are much more appropriate. Then again, if you insist upon showing off how hip and all-knowing you are, go right on ahead using GAM.

24. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Silly me. I thought this thread was actually going to contain some information about Eddie Johnson's health, fitness, form, etc. Does anyone have any observations from Carson?

25. anticheese

anticheese Member

Jan 24, 2003

What made you think that?

Now, I'm going to be a Grown Ass Man and get off these boards for good and try being productive with my life.

I'm sure everyone will find what they're looking for here.

peace out.