The Return of Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Motterman, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2003/09/26/7012.shtml

Great news. I grew up watching this show and reading the books.

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Great news, providing it's low budget, and not an 'Americanised' version of the show like that one-off they did with one of the McGann brothers replacing Sylvester McCoy. Tom Baker (mid-to late 1970's) will always be my favourite.

I'd love someone half-mad like Tom Baker to be the new doctor, although I can't think of someone who'd fit that style.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    This is great news..

I got hooked on Dr. Who back in the late 80's and have been clamoring for it's return ever since..

We'll see how this develops..

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I though McGann himself was OK, but yes, the American influence was all too prevalent.

For one thing, the Doctor isn't supposed to kiss his traveling companions. Not that I'm a prude, but yeesh -- wouldn't there be an 800-year age difference or something?

It was such an imaginative show. That'll be the key for any revival.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Forget this. There is a new Blake's 7 miniseries being created. Ohhh, man, I'm drooling just thinking of it.

www.blakes7.com

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I don't like Blakes7 myself, from the few episodes I've seen, it looks like it's attempting to be serious at times, which is just wrong with those outfits. The harsh 80's haircuts and make-up are also bad.

There was a BBC comedy called Cruise of the Gods that took the piss out of these shows. It starred Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge), and Welsh bloke who does Marion and Geoff whose name has left me, two stars who end up doing one of those fans conventions on a cruise ship. The fictional show from the 80's was about a new romantic band that survives a nuclear war, and tries to live in a world of mutants and normal people.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Anyone else here ever consider that Ross Perot looks a lot like Davros (that was his name right, the leader of the Daleks?)?

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Davros was the evil scientist who created the Daleks. I can only remember seeing Ross Perot during the 1992 Presidential election, so I can't comment.

How about Richard E. Grant, or maybe Alan Davies (Jonothan Creek) being the Doctor ?.

9. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I heard on the radio today that it's going to be Eddie Izzard.

And that's my first and last post on Dr Who.

10. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
  11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Hey, if Pierce Brosnan is leaving Bond, why not have him as Ol Doc Who?

So, where is the storyline for Ecclestone going to begin? After McCoy or McGann?

12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After McGann.
    http://www.gallifreyone.com/newseriesfaq.php

FYI, Davies will be writing more episodes than anyone else, but other authors include the creator of Coupling, Steven Moffat, and The League of Gentlemen actor/writer Mark Gatiss, along with a couple of guys popular for writing Who audio stories or books, Rob Shearman and Paul Cornell.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully after McGann - despite some fans prefering that the 1996 TV-movie be forgotten (though I enjoyed it), it is part of the overall series (the TV-movie even started with McCoy as the Doctor).

Though I wonder if the new series will begin immedieately with Eccleston or if it'll start off with McGann. :confused:

In any case, who knew that the series started out as an educational show for children, with the original Doctor time-traveling with some kids in tow? :D

-G

14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's meant to be after McGann, but filming has begun (see this news site or this one) and I haven't read anything about a McGann cameo for a regeneration scene (although at fan events he's said he'd do it).

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could shoot that at any time really. It would be a special treat if they could make it a surprise or something... Hehe... have it take place about 5 minutes after he leaves Earth at the end of the TV Movie. LOL!

16. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. They're talking about a March premier, and I don't think they started filming with the first episode anyway. As for McGann, I've enjoyed having him get a chance to flesh out his character more in the CD audio plays.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the official Doctor Who website, there's also The Doctor Who Review, a pretty nice site that has, among other things, reviews of all the episodes and the TV-movie. :cool:

And since I had some time to kill ;), here are the following actors who've portrayed the Doctor and what years they portrayed him (as listed at The Doctor Who Review):

-G

* Though the television series stopped producing new episodes in 1989, McCoy made one more appearance on-screen as the Doctor in the beginning of the 1996 TV-movie.

** McGann only appeared on-screen as the Doctor in the 1996 TV-movie, but he's supposedly still the Doctor until the new series begins airing in 2005.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can catch the latest teaser trailer for the new Doctor Who series here. :)

-G

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Thank you so very much.

Does anyone know when we'll get this in the States? Perhaps BBC America will be on board?

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that. Defo a teaser, but cool nonetheless.

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that the Sci-Fi Channel was interested.

With their successful collaboration on the new Battlestar Galactica series, maybe that cooperation could extend to Doctor Who... :confused:

22. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I really wish that PBS would get it so I can avoid the commercial breaks, but at this point I could care less as long as it's on.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I could help, :)

I hope that Paul McGann appears as the Doctor in the new series' first episode before transforming into Christopher Eccleston Doctor.

-G

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also seems that Christopher Eccleston will be playing a younger Grand Moff Tarkin in the upcoming Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. :eek:

-G

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States