The result wasn't good enough

Discussion in 'Australia' started by almango, Nov 13, 2005.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think our failure to score a goal an away goal will cost us in the end. If Uruguay can score a goal in Sydney it will be 90% over. A brave effort, but the lack of decent preparation is a killer. I suppose whilst there's life ther's hope, but I would rate us at only a 15% chance of qualifying at this stage.

2. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    From what I've heard, Australia was lucky it wasn't 2-0. Still this is a much beter result than the last time Australia went to Uruguay. The Aussies were not as rattled as the last time they went there. Keep your head up, Australia still has a good shot of getting in to the World Cup. They just can't afford any defensive lapses in Sydney and have to score 1 goal. Uruguay can look ordinary on the road. They are not Argentina.

3. gscott12

gscott12 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    why be so negative? I think we have an excellent chance of qualifying. The last time we played uruguay here we won 1-0, and that was with worse attacking players and with a coach that couldn't hold a candle to guus

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    They may not be Argentina, but, IIRC, Uruguay did not lose any of their last 4 WCQ's on the road. They'll be a tough nut to crack. If I were Aussie I'd come out attacking and try to even the goal count, damn the consequences.

5. osama

osama New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Desert, Afghanistan
    Classic negativty that surrounds the sport of soccer worldwide. I hope the Socceroos win and qualify and prove this guy wrong

6. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    You recall correctly. Looking at their WCQ record, the last 4 away matches, Uruguay drew at Peru, Venezuela, Chile and Bolivia (and their 2 mile altitude). However in their last road game (a recent friendly) at Mexico they lost 3-1. They also have lost 4-1 at Paraguay and 5-0 at Colombia during WCQ, but they also drew Brazil 3-3 at Brazil in WCQ! Huh!?! I guess the question is which Uruguay team will show up.

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    SO do I

8. bombo

bombo Red Card

Nov 14, 2005
    Yes I have to agree.In 2001,Paul Agostino was our big hope up front and while Paul had his moments at international level,he was basically plucked from a club side in Germany and expected to work miracles.To me,Aloisi is the man and I think one criticism of Guus Hiddink yesterday was he waited too long to bring Aloisi on.

He has the score on the board against better sides than Uruguay and was given virtually nothing time to create anything.I think we have a great chance to qualify but I think we need to find a way to score early.This will be where Hiddink earns his dough in my opinion.

Recoba is brilliant but is also inconsistent so I would be worrying more about him after kick off to see how many runs he makes into the box.There has been a lot of criticism of the defence but I thought it held up quite well.Schwarzer was brilliant and Popovic shut down Morales who would have been a concern pre-game given he was the go to man against Argentina a few weeks back and with what he did against us in 2001,and Zalayeta was virtually unseen.

Not going to be easy but its in our territory now and despite the positive words from Fossati,they will be worried.

AUS 3 - URU 1 (extra time)

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Probably the one with the good away results considering that the coach for those weird high-scoring games was fired a while ago.

I think Australia can win, no doubt about it, and win well enough to qualify. But without the away goal in Montevideo it will be a very tense game in Sydney.

10. red_soccerhut

red_soccerhut BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 25, 2005
    It is correct to say that result was not great for OZ. Guus Hiddink even laments the result and is not terribly confident. Of course the FFA and the Oz press will beat it up that we are in with a real show. But we must forget who we are playing. They are not NZ or Fiji here.

Uruguay can sit back and let us make the moves now. It is up to us to attack.

We could be in a lot worse state, they were denied some "real" shots on goal, while ours were just half chances.

You never know though, we might just do it for once. You would think after 3 decades we are due a minor miracle.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thats a lot of goals in extra time.

12. bombo

bombo Red Card

Nov 14, 2005
    That was the final score buddy....I thought you might have been able to read between the lines.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The only way it gets to extra time is if we win 1-0. As I said, 3-1 is a lot of goals in extra time.

14. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    I was gonna point that out too. A 2-1 victory after 90 mins will see us out with no extra time.

For the record, I agree with you Almango. I don't think the result was good enough. Uruguay have the talent to pinch a goal on the counter or on a free kick and if they do, then we are in seriously deep trouble.

15. bombo

bombo Red Card

Nov 14, 2005
    with that sort of negativity i hope you aint going...

16. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    I will try and be positive here amongst this negativity

I predict a 2-1 2nd leg win for Australia, with an overall away goals victory for Uruguay.

17. AussieMadrid

AussieMadrid New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Australia
    I think Australia will score an early goal. That will make the aggregate score 1-1 and both teams will be in the same boat...except Australia will be at home. I'm confident Australia can do the job. We'll boss the midfield again and have plenty of chances of scoring.

It seems to me that most people overestimate Uruguay simply because they come from South America. They were lucky to be placed 5th and only got there in the final round of qualifying. This IS NOT Brazil or Argentina we're talking about here. They've struggled on the road and I don't see them having anything more than half chances in a game where we'll control the ball for a good 60% of the time.

18. kelle

kelle Red Card

Nov 14, 2005
    Very true....The beat up would be similar if Venezuela,who would struggle to beat a second string New Zealand outfit were coming here to play.

Its just media hype.Once tha game settles down we will see who wants it more....

19. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    1-0 is not that bad of a result. Norway will be looking to overturn it in Prague and Australia the same against Uruguay. Hopefully both teams can do it and we might meet in Germany!

Good Luck!!

20. The V Bomber

The V Bomber New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Very good post.

21. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Agreed. Stay positive and attack them from the first minute till the final whistle. Good Luck Australia!!! I say you take this one 2-0, or 3-1.

22. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Uruguay has one of the deepest starting 11's AROUND.

Let us not forget that. If Uruguay EVER pulls it together and plays as a team, they wouldn't have to go through a playoff. They'd qualify third or second. They have the talent to beat people. They rely on individual heroics rather than work as a team.

God forbid us from seeing the day that Uruguay pulls it together.

23. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    uruguay is a joke, they cant play as a team, they suck, please australia beat them, i think the game its gonna be 3-0 for australia.

and good news. FORLAN will not play :)

24. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    well..if you don't make it this year...you can take the crummy 0.5 spot in asia..i dont even know why we have it...but we would love to give it to you...u are definately better than the likes of bahrain and t&t. i can't believe one of those teams will qualify.....especially bahrain....so far australia has been unlucky...but after 2006..u will have a better and more deserved opportunity to quailify for the worldcup....
    good luck against uruguay....i hope you win....

25. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah you are right we should of won 10-0

:D :D