The Rennie Era

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Nov 2, 2011.

1. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Most church ministers in our fair city still preach as fact that hundreds of thousands of mammals, amphibians, reptiles, insects,and birds all magically fit into a boat smaller than the titanic, had food for year, and cared for by 8 people. All the while in an atmosphere of 29,000 feet above normal sea level, then survived on the earth where all vegetation would be destroyed by said flood. And no other animals to eat as part of the food chain. I think ALOT of Christians still are not accepting the realities.

Moderator Action: This post has nothing to do with the topic. Please stay on topic (i.e. discussion of religion only as it pertains to the thread topic).

2. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All of which has nothing to do with soccer, so why bring it up?

I only brought up religion because it had direct bearing on Rennie and Lee. Clearly you have no patience for religion, but please keep your discussion on topic.

Moving on...

3. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Rennie is definitely not going to alienate non-religious fans. He'll go talk about how his faith connects to his sport to religious groups when they ask him to, but I've never known him to bring the subject up otherwise. He's very devout and I think on a personal level he sees everything as tying back to God to some extent, but he's not using soccer as an excuse to evangelize and when he wins a big game it's not God he credits for it publicly but his players.

4. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Wow. Seems like a really funny guy.

On another note with the Rennie Era, I hear he and Cannon stopped by the Southsiders Christmas party the other night at Doolins. I think this is fantastic to see someone from the club reach out and try to reconnect with the 'caps most dedicated fan base.

5. koreansock

koreansock Red Card

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Sorry, I moved the post to the transfer forum just before you responded.

Lee Youngpyo has his moments of wit. @fromtheline is his Twitter. Sometimes he tweets in English for his supporters from Al Hilal. Maybe he will do so for his fans in Vancouver.

6. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    One thing that brings to my attention from what I've read in all sources on the internet related to the whitecaps (ie: Facebook, southsiders web page)

People are concerned knowing that he primarily plays in the LB position which we are all thinking that its gonna have a conflict with Rochat. It just tells me that some fans are skeptical about this move because:

1. Due to his age at 34, ppl questions how much gas is left within him? I believe Rennie has spoken over that matter in this morning's conference.

2. Although his preferred position at LB, but during his time a Tottenham he was used primarily as a RB and excel in the position as well.

Even though I felt that our last season was robbed by a dumb interim coach and a bunch of incompetent signings which left a lot of Caps' fans very pessimistic about almost everything, in this case an aged signing such as LYP.

I really think that we are getting a deal out of this move as he can help to mentor our younger players by showing them professionalism and experiences from the bigger European stage that everyone has dreamed about playing. If he decides to stay in Vancouver due to family reason (according to sources part of the decision to come to Vancouver is for his daughter's education and a better lifestyle for his family).

Then we might see him to be part of the coaching staff in the future. Who knows maybe we can even produce world class defenders in the future for Canada.

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Martin Rennie is really impressing me as the head coach and with a 'new front office' leadership being installed with the departure of PB and hopefully TS, 2012 is beginning to look a lot brighter

Rennie has sent packing many players who gave it their best shot, but are lacking at the experience, skills, mental set and/or pace for MLS-- he will not settle for mediocrity... or less! and he has bypassed the re-entry draft, except for the re-signing of cannon (a good move) and thorrington (not sure about that 1)

this is going to be quite a revamped and re-focused team for 2012-- his 1st new signing- lee of South korea-- has set the tone for the Club; lets hope he is able to get camilo back and hassli and chiumiento are ready to use their significant talents

next order of business- get rid of jarju and use his salary to sign 2 experienced and skillful PROFESSIONAL players (am i correct in that, if the Caps release/buyout jarju's contract, then the salary is freed up and does not count on the Salary cap?)

8. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There will be a GREAT sigh of relief from the whole city if/when this happens

9. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
  10. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's an analysis of Watson's abilities:

http://www.eightysixforever.com/201...itecaps-sign-midfielder-matt-watson#storyjump

Sounds like another depth player, which is good. But I too am still waiting for the Whitecaps to hopefully sign a top-level DP-calibre player for the middle of the park, preferably in the holding center role. Koffie's good, but still inexperienced, so the Caps could use an experienced, bonafide performer in that spot if they really want to improve dramatically next year.

11. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013