The Rennie Era

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Nov 2, 2011.

1. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    Caps missed Harris a lot. He created a lot of space and drew a lot of fouls. He will be an important part of the team next season as I don't think Camilo will be back.

2. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've heard vague rumours that he's headed to the Middle East (Saudi Arabia?). Have you got any specific news?

3. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The FO put Sanvezzo on the protected list for the expansion draft. To me that's a no-brainer signal that they are keeping Sanvezzo/Camilo figures into Rennie's plans. Otherwise why waste the slot? If Camilo leaves, they could have kept Brovsky (I believe he would have been the next player to be protected).

4. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expect Rennie to make some unexpected signings - here in NC, he's known for his knack for finding talent in strange places and having it work out really, really well. (Case in point, the player who scored twenty goals in 2011.) And the cuts will be everyone who doesn't work with his style.

I'd be shocked to see him move to a new team and not retool it significantly.

5. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Obviously they aren't going to protect anyone unless Rennie thinks they at least might belong on his roster. (Some of the protected players might be more valuable to him as trades, but I'm sure he's at least seriously thinking about keeping them.)

6. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    I have no doubt they will try to keep him. Even if they were sure he was leaving they still need to protect him as they would want to get a transfer fee. Camilo is definitely in Rennie's plans but I'm not sure if the Caps are in Camilo's plans.

7. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    I'm basing it on the same rumours you have heard and also on his tweets. He has mentioned discussing his future with his agents. From what I understand, he is under contract for another season.
    I was at the intersquad game a few weeks back and overheard DeMerit ask Camilo in a very casual, almost teasing tone, "So..are you coming back next year?" Camilo replied "I don't want to talk about that now"
    Read into that what you will as I myself am unsure how to look at it. I think the caps may have to renew with him as a DP (like Fredy Montero) or they risk having him request a transfer to somewhere that will pay him more.

8. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That sounds like it makes sense--and it's fair enough, honestly, since he ended up outscoring Hassli, and blew the Caps' other "DP" out of the water.

9. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you know if any players are following him here from Carolina? There was talk here earlier of some players wanting to make the jump to MLS, but I haven't heard anything lately(?)

10. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Bringing in more D2 players is not what the Caps need; this was one of their mistakes last season was bringing in too many D2 players and over-estimating their abilities.

11. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None that I know of. But frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Etienne Barbara and Pablo Campos (the top two goal-scorers in all of D2 last year, with 20 and 15 goals respectively in 28 games) both made the jump simply because Rennie knows how they play, likes them (and scouted them both personally for Carolina), and knows they work well together. They won't be superstars in MLS the way they were in NASL, and I wouldn't expect him to start them both almost every game like he did here, but I'd be unsurprised to see them both on the 'Caps roster.

12. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do either of those guys have defensive potential? I'm thinking as wingers in a 4-4-2 system(?) I saw some video of Jonny Steele and he looked good in the middle of the park--big, aggressive midfielder who seemed to distribute the ball well. If not him, necessarily, the Caps badly need that type of player in the middle of the park.

While I agree that filling the team with D2 players may not be what's needed, a couple of active wingers who can score and a tough player for the middle, who lit up D2, as depth players for next year would likely be an improvement on warmed over MLS hacks like Salinas and Vagenas. Not all the guys that came with the Whitecaps from D2 were flops.

13. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, no. Barbara in particular has an eye only for one thing: scoring goals. Shortly after his absurdly long streak of scoring a goal every game to start off this season had ended, we greeted each other after a match in which he had gotten two assists. I complimented him on his play that night. He gave me this "seriously?" look and glumly said something like "I should've scored a goal."

He puts it a bit more positively in interviews, but it's clear that he has a razor-like focus for finding the back of the net. It makes him a brilliant striker (league leader in goals, assists, and shots - he won't top the league at a higher level, but I'm damn sure he'll get results), but I suspect he would be neither useful nor happy playing anywhere else.

Steele is fine at the D2 level, and yes, you've characterized him perfectly. But I'm not sure how well he could do at MLS. (He wouldn't be an unquestionably bad choice; I just think you can find someone like him but better.) Also, he's unfortunately a little bit of a card magnet, though he seems to be getting less of those lately.

This is true. And I expect Rennie to look many places for talent, including every roster in his old league.

14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    rennie does not appear to me to be a stupid coach-- he knows that bringing in a lot of D2 players will not fly with the fans nor make the caps more competitive

15. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And he pulls from surprising places, like Malta and the J-Leauge; that's part of how he finds unexpected new talent for D2, and I'm sure he'll do the same but with a higher caliber of players for the Whitecaps.

Will he bring a player or two with him? Count on it. (Latest speculation around here is, one of your new goalkeepers is Brad Knighton.) Will the roster look like it belongs in NASL rather than MLS? Not a chance.

16. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Given that Rennie left both Nolly and Cannon unprotected in the expansion draft and in the reentry draft says to me he's not satisfied with them and that he is fine to see them go. This means he's confident he can sign a bona fide starter for next year. Another contributor said earlier that a Trinidad and Tobago keeper who was a team-mate of Carlyle Mitchell's was also being looked at by the Caps.

Cannon is weak challenging in the 6 and out to the penalty spot in the air, and Nolly tends to cheat and gets chipped. If Rennie can find a decent shot-stopper who is aggressive in the air in and around the 6, he'll have found a keeper that is better than both current Caps keepers, and better also than most in the MLS--but not that rare in other leagues around the world. Most important, that kind of keeper will give MLS attackers fits, as most MLS keepers tend to be timid in their box, so attackers here are used to putting crosses inside the penalty spot.

With an aggressive keeper and a solid revamped midfield core, we'll see a massive improvement in the wins column next year (if they can all stay healthy).

17. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    Leaving them unprotected doesn't mean he doesn't want them, it means he doesn't want them at their current salary. I'm sure he would love to have Cannon at less money and will renegotiate with him. I think he'll try to keep Thorrington too. The caps declined the option because they want to renegotiate not because they don't want them. I think Cannon is an adequate starter and Rennie will try to bring in Knighton to backup/challenge Cannon. Rennie even stated in an interview on whitecapsfc.com that he expects to keep a couple players from the re-entry draft last.

18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    both joe cannon and john thorrington will be lucky to be picked up by another team that will pay them even $100 000, a drop of about 50% from their salary of 2011

cannon is 36-37 and thorrington has had a recent history of being injury prone

if i were the Caps, i would take only cannon back if he is willing to re-sign at a much lower salary; thorrington is just not worth the risk nor salary investment- the Caps need to make a major upgrade in mid-field and adding his salary is a waste of $$$

assuming that the Caps re-sign cannon for $100 000, i would get rid of jarju and the caps will have saved almost $500 000 from their MLS budget (plus the extra $$$ for jarju's DP salary that could be put towards another quality DP signing who can actually make an impact)

things are finally moving in the right direction under martin rennie- clean house and begin to rebuild/develop a new team over the next 2 years

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Sportie: don't bring back Thorrington; he's way too expensive and almost always injured. You just can't keep a guy who's injured so much and who's making so much.

And bring back Cannon at 1/2 the price, make him your experience goalkeeper, while bringing in a younger guy other than Nolly who Rennie trusts more and has a brighter future.

20. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Is there any kind of an injury reserve, so the injured player does not count against your salary cap for the games missed? Or does every player on your roster always go against your cap regardless of their status? I really liked Thorington in the last few games he played for us, but you guys are right that he was injured too much.

21. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree Jarju has to go--way too much money, and he takes up a DP spot.

Can you re-negotiate a DP contract? To the effect, say, that you resign the player minus the DP designation and for less money? If that's possible, I'd say do that with Jarju, and offer him about the same money Brovsky made last year. If he accepts, fine, and he can try to play himself into the squad next year. If he does that, then the Caps gain a player for minimum outlay, and they can increase his salary as warranted later to keep him here. If he doesn't sign, then no great loss, as he did little last year.

As for Thorrington, I liked his play too, but given his age, physical build, and aggressive play (the guy seems to have no fear--remember the tackles he made with a cast on his arm), I can see why he may continue to be injury-prone. If he'd sign for the same money Vagenas made last year, though, I'd keep him as an experienced depth player in midfield. Maybe with fewer games, he'd stay healthy for the times they needed him. He's got lots of MLS experience, and loads more character than Vagenas. That mix of knowledge, character, and tenacious play might make him a good mentor to guys like Alderson coming up through the ranks. He might actually be able to fill the role Vagenas was supposed to fill last year.

22. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So I think I learned a few things about Rennie today:

1. He has a clear vision for this team. Lee was signed to play RB. Which is good because I was worried he was going to gut the team when he came aboard, but...

2. ...he isn't going to gut the team just for the sake of starting over. Rochat is badass, and with two attacking backs like Rochat and Lee, this could be one heckuva offense we see next year.

3. He isn't oblivious of (or opposed to) the desire of the FO to sign talent *AND* marketing opportunities. At the end of the day, I don't think Martin will be hear for 20 years, so his only goal must be to win - but he acknowledged that Lee's Korean legacy will serve the team well in appealing to the Korean market. I'm glad that *he* said it. If we really are going to be a Top 25 team in the world, we will need worldwide appeal as well as world-class players. You can't be a Top 25 team without a massive, broad fanbase that is much bigger than the home city.

4. Call this coincidence, but Rennie is a "hardcore" Christian, and Lee is cut from the same cloth. I find it impossible to believe that has nothing to do with Lee's appeal to Rennie. Not that Rennie is going to put together a Presbyterian XI, but that players like LEE who are committed Christians will find Rennie's faith an attractive proposition. From Lee's (few) comments, it seems like he saw this as a good fit...and for a guy like Lee, I think faith plays a part in that, particularly at this stage is his career, when Lee is already wealthy and could just as easily retire.

23. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I dont like to hear he is a hardcore Christian. I don't want to hear him say that his team winning is "part of God's plan", and it was God's plan for the Christians on the other team to lose.

Wally did this after the grey cup. On field he said something to the effect that he believes God has a plan for him and winning this grey cup was part of this plan.

THe question then becomes, does God give the win to the team with the most Christians?

I just hope Rennie keeps it out.

24. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think we'll hear much bible-thumping from Rennie. I think his faith shows itself more in a steady work ethic, and a desire to treat people with respect.

What I like most about him is that he seems to be a character guy who believes in giving and demanding hard work, that he seems to be able to also find character people for the team, and that he seems to be able to gain his players' respect. Those things (except for maybe the first one), were conspicuously absent in Soehn, and the team suffered for it.

Carlyle Mitchell, if it's true that he was Rennie's idea, seems to fit his mold. From day one, Mitchell came to play, made the transition without any fuss, and consequently made an immediate impact. If Lee is that kind of guy too, that can only be good, as this team has a couple prima donnas (especially up front) who need some grounding. What a breath of fresh air it would be to go to BC Place game in, game out, and see a bunch of steady guys playing hard each time, with the odd flash of brilliance. Win or lose, I don't think I'd complain much. May just be a winning recipe, both on the field and in terms of FO PR.

And yes, I'm also looking forward to the possibilty of two Rochats--one on each side--taking turns making dashes up the field with the ball.

25. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There seems to be three types of public Christian athlete/coach:

THE PROCLAIMER is the Tebow type that takes every opportunity and then some to let everyone know how important it is to him. Think Shea Salinas.

THE GIVE-IT-UP-FOR-GOD is the Wally type that isn't in your face about religion until he wins something and then is profuse in recognition of it. Not sure if there is a Caps equivalent here.

THE FORCE-IS-STRONG-IN-THIS-ONE is the Rennie (or, for those who know something about NFL football, Tony Dungy) type. They are men whose faith is very sincere but intensely private. (Dungy quit football to go do prison ministry. (!!!))

And for the record, very few Christians I know or have seen on TV believe anything like what you are talking about where God wants them to win everything etc. etc. I mean, there is the Joel Osteen crowd out there, but most Christians are fairly down to earth people, and just take the public opportunity to be thankful to their god when they get the chance. I doubt Wally thinks along the lines you were describing. Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but I doubt Wally put much thought into what he was saying as a theological statement. =) Lots of people thank "God" when they win stuff publically. Like half-naked singers at the Grammys, etc. lol