The Renamed 'random thoughts about music' thread"?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by nicodemus, Jan 6, 2007.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes, but that's a completely subjective statement too. :p

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no, what I say is always objective truth. Including this post. :)

3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Two men say they're Jesus.
    One of 'em must be wrong?"

(Mark Knopfler)

4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #1480 riverplate, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    The Library of Congress has announced 25 new additions to the National Recording Registry.

National Recording Registry Reaches 500 - Library of Congress
    https://www.loc.gov/programs/nation...ng-registry/registry-by-induction-years/2017/
    (in chronological order)

1. Dream Melody Intermezzo: Naughty Marietta (single) Victor Herbert and His Orchestra 1911 (Pop Pre-1955)
    2. Standing Rock Preservation Recordings George Herzog and Members of the Yanktoni Tribe 1928 (Field)
    3. Lamento Borincano (single) Canario y Su Grupo 1930 (Latin)
    4. Sitting on Top of the World (single) Mississippi Sheiks 1930 (Blues)
    5. The Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas (album) Artur Schnabel 1932-1935 (Classical/Opera)
    6. If I Didn't Care (single) The Ink Spots 1939 (Pop Pre-1955)
    7. Proceedings of the United Nations Conference on International Organization (4/25/45-6/26/45) 1945 (Broadcast/Spoken Word)
    8. Folk Songs of the Hills (album) Merle Travis 1946 (Folk)
    9. How I Got Over (single) Clara Ward and the Ward Singers 1950 (Gospel)
    10. Rock Around the Clock (single) Bill Haley and His Comets 1954 (Pop Pre-1955)
    11. Calypso (album) Harry Belafonte 1956 (Pop Post-1955)
    12. I Left My Heart in San Francisco (single) Tony Bennett 1962 (Pop Post-1955)
    13. King Biscuit Time Sonny Boy Williamson II, others 1965 (Radio)
    14. My Girl (single) The Temptations 1964 (Pop Post-1955)
    15. The Sound of Music (album) Julie Andrews, others 1965 (Musical/Soundtrack)
    16. Alice's Restaurant Massacree (single) Arlo Guthrie 1967 (Folk)
    17. New Sounds in Electronic Music (album) Steve Reich, Richard Maxfield, Pauline Oliveros 1967 (Technology)
    18. An Evening with Groucho (album) Groucho Marx 1972 (Comedy)
    19. Rumours (album) Fleetwood Mac 1977 (Pop Post-1955)
    20. The Gambler (single) Kenny Rogers 1978 (Pop Post-1955)
    21. Le Freak (single) Chic 1978 (Disco)
    22. Footloose (single) Kenny Loggins 1984 (Pop Post-1955)
    23. Raising Hell (album) Run-DMC 1986 (Rap)
    24. Rhythm is Gonna Get You (single) Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine 1987 (Pop Post-1955)
    25. Yo-Yo Ma Premieres: Concertos for Violoncello and Orchestra (album) Yo-Yo Ma and the Philadelphia Orchestra 1996 (Classical/Opera)

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This is awesome!

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe this is the song that created the reason for a break between "Pop Pre-1955" and "Pop Post-1955", so it's weird that they didn't place the dividing line so it can be in the "post" side.

chaski and NER_MCFC repped this.
  8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Any of you listen to BBC Radio 6?

I've been super into it for a while and enjoy what they have on offer. Gilles Peterson with his eclectic selections alone makes it worth listening to.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I lived in Western PA, we could get the Morgantown station of the West Virginia Public Radio network, which was terrific. One of their programs (widely syndicated, but not available where I live now) is Mountain Stage. In spite of the title, it is extremely eclectic.

From Wikipedia

Among the luminaries who appeared on Mountain Stage before they were famous or whose first national-exposure in the US on Mountain Stage are Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones, Crash Test Dummies, Barenaked Ladies, Ben Harper, Paula Cole, Nickel Creek, Cassandra Wilson, Counting Crows, Phish and R.E.M., which is the band that gave Mountain Stage its first national exposure.

Over the years, the show has featured such international luminaries as Phish, Barenaked Ladies, Galactic, Bruce Hornsby, the Derek Trucks Band, Chris Thile, Bell X-1, Judy Collins, They Might Be Giants, Norah Jones, Hubert Sumlin & Pinetop Perkins, Charles Brown, Martina McBride, Little Big Town, Amos Lee, Joan Baez, Jakob Dylan and Regina Spektor, as well as Kathy Mattea, Tim O'Brien and over a hundred West Virginia artists.

Hence it didn't surprise me that Patti Smith appeared on the show recently.

https://www.npr.org/event/music/597709855/patti-smith-on-mountain-stage

Her appearance was in honor of her late husband. Fred "Sonic" Smith, founding guitarist of the legendary MC5, being inducted into the West Virginia Music Hall of Fame. Itself an extremely eclectic musical endeavor.

http://www.wvmusichalloffame.com

ElasticNorseman and crazypete13 repped this.
  10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is for @Auriaprottu :

It's not his music, per se. Some of his melodies or chord progressions are agreeable enough. A lot of the lyrics are cringe-inducing for me; but some aren't, and anyway, that's true of a lot of artists, even some I like, and wouldn't be enough by itself to sink him to the bottom. For me, it's him.

To elaborate:

I like singer-songwriter music. I went through high school and college listening to a ton of Joni Mitchell, I like Nick Drake about as much as I like any music, and discoveries of the last decade like Gregory Alan Isakov have been great. But the success of that kind of music, for me, is dependent on some sort of emotional connection occurring between the singer/songwriter and me. Whether that's real or faked on their part, and whether I really believe in the emotional connection or there's some unconscious suspension of disbelief going on in my head, it feels real, and it has everything to do with whether what they're doing resonates with me and thus whether I like it.

That doesn't happen at all with him. Instead, the opposite happens. He feels to me like a poseur who nevertheless sometimes tries to make an emotional connection, because that's what you do as a singer/songwriter; but he fails because it's totally a pose and, unlike others for whom it's a pose, when he has to fake it he's no good at it. It's not just that I think he's a fake; lots of performers adopt roles when they perform, either for a particular song or for their whole damn career. But then they have to be good actors -- they have to be believable in those roles -- or it just seems ridiculous. His songs often feel to me like the musical analogue of Keanu Reeves' acting in Much Ado About Nothing: you watched him, and it was obvious that he couldn't act; and it was obvious that he knew he couldn't act, and that the solution he'd arrived at was to act harder, to overact, which only made it worse. That's how Billy Joel seems to me. When I hear one of his songs, usually I get this feeling of "Just stop it! Stop digging!" He tries to perform in the confessional/emotional idiom and, for me, he fails because it's not real and because he isn't any good at faking it.

Moishe repped this.
  11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This was I was going to follow up to Aurias reply to me with. Similar feelings about about Billy Joel for sure.

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    At the risk of sounding like Oscar Wilde-- I wish I'd written that. That's really got it.

My own capsule summaries have been along the lines of, Joel's talents, such as they are, are more in the tin pan alley/showtune sphere; but that the results are more "closed after thirty shows" than "West Side Story" or "American in Paris."

And at his worst he's way way too close to "Springtime for Hitler," only not funny.

Moishe repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Don't worry, John: you will.

taosjohn repped this.
  14. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  15. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  16. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If that's Jeopardy and they referenced Husker Du then I officially know I'm old:(

Dyvel, Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Getting old comes with age. There's no avoiding it.

And now this:

Finnish.jpg

chad, Kazuma, Moishe and 2 others repped this.
  19. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A Rock n Roll Life

ElasticNorseman, chad and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #1495 riverplate, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    The Library of Congress has announced 25 new additions to the National Recording Registry...

New National Recording Registry Class Is 'Superfly' - Library of Congress
    https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-19-018/
    (in chronological order)

1. Yiddish Cylinders (songs), Standard Phonograph Company of New York and the Thomas Lambert Company (c. 1901-1905)
    2. Memphis Blues (single), Victor Military Band (1914)
    3. Native Americans of the American Northwest (collection), Melville Jacobs (1929-1939)
    4. Minnie the Moocher (single), Cab Calloway (1931)
    5. Bach Six Cello Suites (album), Pablo Casals (c. 1939)
    6. They Look Like Men of War (single), Deep River Boys (1941)
    7. Gunsmoke: The Cabin (radio), program episode (Dec. 27, 1952)
    8. Ruth Draper: Complete monologues (albums), Ruth Draper (1954-1956)
    9. La Bamba (single), Ritchie Valens (1958)
    10. Long Black Veil (single), Lefty Frizzell (1959)
    11. Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America, Vol. 1: The Early Years (album), Stan Freberg (1961)
    12. GO (album), Dexter Gordon (1962)
    13. War Requiem (album), Benjamin Britten (1963)
    14. Mississippi Goddam (single), Nina Simone (1964)
    15. Soul Ma (single), Sam & Dave (1967)
    16. Hair (original cast), Broadway (1968)
    17. Death of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (speech), Robert F. Kennedy (April 4, 1968)
    18. Sweet Caroline (single), Neil Diamond (1969)
    19. Superfly (album), Curtis Mayfield (1972)
    20. Ola Belle Reed (album), Ola Belle Reed (1973)
    21. September (single), Earth, Wind & Fire (1978)
    22. You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) (single), Sylvester (1978)
    23. She’s So Unusual (album), Cyndi Lauper (1983)
    24. Schoolhouse Rock!: The Box Set (soundtrack), television (1996)
    25. The Blueprint (album), Jay-Z (2001)

https://www.loc.gov/programs/nation...ng-registry/registry-by-induction-years/2018/

Len and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    There is a God after all -- or maybe it was the purported ticket price of $450...

Woodstock Financiers Cancel 50th Anniversary Festival - Entertainment Tonight
    https://www.etonline.com/woodstock-...stival-amid-health-and-safety-concerns-124273

The 1960s dream of peace, free love, harmony and great music is dead. At least when it comes to reviving the Woodstock music festival in celebration of the iconic event's 50th anniversary. Officials at the Dentsu Aegis Network, which was set to foot the bill on the hotly anticipated festival, announced on Monday that they had officially pulled the plug, according to multiple reports.

Considering the monumental PR disaster that the Fyre Fest proved to be, it's possible that the Dentsu Aegis Network was concerned about the potential nightmare that could ensue if the festival went as poorly as the Fyre Fest (or if it was half as disastrous as the original Woodstock in 1969). Headliners and expected performers at the festival included The Killers, Dead and Company, Imagine Dragons, JAY-Z, Miley Cyrus, The Lumineers, Chance the Rapper, Cage the Elephant, Halsey and Carlos Santana, among many others.

According to Billboard, the producers and promoters of Woodstock 50 recently reached out to Live Nation and AEG, seeking $20 million in financing for the festival, and both organizations declined to invest.

Good riddance!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Recordings by Elton John, Nirvana and Thousands More Lost in Fire - N.Y. Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/us/master-recordings-universal-fire.html

Eleven years ago this month, a fire ripped through a part of Universal Studios Hollywood. At the time, the company said that the blaze had destroyed the theme park’s “King Kong” attraction and a video vault that contained only copies of old works. But, according to an article published on Tuesday by The New York Times Magazine, the fire also tore through an archive housing treasured audio recordings, amounting to what the piece described as “the biggest disaster in the history of the music business.”

Almost all of the master recordings stored in the vault were destroyed in the fire, including those produced by some of the most famous musicians since the 1940s. In a confidential report in 2009, Universal Music Group estimated the loss at about 500,000 song titles. The lost works most likely included masters in the Decca Records collection by Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald and Judy Garland.

The fire probably also claimed some of Chuck Berry’s greatest recordings, produced for Chess Records, as well as the masters of some of Aretha Franklin’s first appearances on record. Almost of all of Buddy Holly’s masters were lost, as were most of John Coltrane’s masters in the Impulse Records collection. The fire also claimed numerous hit singles, likely including Bill Haley and His Comets’ “Rock Around the Clock,” Etta James’s “At Last” and the Kingsmen’s “Louie Louie.”

The list of artists affected spans decades of popular music. It includes recordings by Ray Charles, B.B. King, the Four Tops, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Aerosmith, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Guns N’ Roses, Mary J. Blige, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots.

A master recording is the one-of-a-kind original recording of a piece of music. It’s the source from which other vinyl records, CDs, MP3s and all other recordings are made. According to the article, documents show that the vault contained masters dating back decades, including multitrack recordings on which individual instruments remained isolated from one another. There were also session masters, including recordings that had never been commercially released. The recordings within the vault came from to some of the most important record labels of all time.

Jody Rosen, the writer of the article, described the successful effort to play down the scope of the loss as a “triumph of crisis management” that involved officials working for Universal Music Group on both coasts. Those efforts were undoubtedly aimed at minimizing public embarrassment, but some suggest the company was also particularly worried about a backlash from artists and artist estates whose master recordings had been destroyed.

Record companies have had a troubled history with such recordings and have been known to trash them in bulk. Decades ago, employees of CBS Records reportedly took power saws to multitrack masters to sell the reels as scrap metal. In the 1970s, RCA destroyed masters by Elvis Presley in a broader purge. Because of that history, industry professionals have long questioned how committed the major music labels are to preserving what they see as priceless artifacts.

Today, most commercial recordings from the past century and beyond are controlled by only three giant record companies: Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group and, of course, Universal Music Group.

[​IMG]

Len repped this.
  23. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The Library of Congress has announced 25 new additions to the National Recording Registry...

National Recording Registry Class Produces Ultimate Stay-At-Home Playlist - Library of Congress
    https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-20-023/?loclr=twloc
    (in chronological order)

1. Whispering (single), Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra (1920)
    2. Protesta per Sacco e Vanzetti (spoken word & song), Compagnia Columbia and Raoul Romito (1927)
    3. La Chicharronera (single), Narciso Martinez and Santiago Almeida (1936)
    4. Arch Oboler’s Plays: The Bathysphere (radio), program episode (Nov. 18, 1939)
    5. Me and My Chauffeur Blues (single), Memphis Minnie (1941)
    6. 1951 National League playoff: New York Giants vs. Brooklyn Dodgers (radio), Russ Hodges, announcer (Oct. 3, 1951)
    7. Puccini’s 'Tosca' (album), La Scala Opera with Maria Callas, Giuseppe di Stefano, Tito Gobbi and maestro Victor de Sabata (1953)
    8. Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh (single), Allan Sherman (1963)
    9. Boston Symphony Orchestra: conductor Erich Leinsdorf (radio), WGBH broadcast on the day of the John F. Kennedy assassination (Nov. 22, 1963)
    10. Fiddler on the Roof (album), Original Broadway Cast (1964)
    11. Make the World Go Away (single), Eddy Arnold (1965)
    12. Afghan Traditional Music (collection), Hiromi Lorraine Sakata, ethnomusicologist (1966-67; 1971-73)
    13. Wichita Lineman (single), Glen Campbell (1968)
    14. Dusty in Memphis (album), Dusty Springfield (1969)
    15. Mister Rogers Sings 21 Favorite Songs (album), Fred Rogers (1973)
    16. Cheap Trick at Budokan (album), Cheap Trick (1978)
    17. Holst: Suite No. 1 in E-Flat, Suite No. 2 in F / Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks / Bach: Fantasia in G (album), Frederick Fennell and the Cleveland Symphonic Winds (1978)
    18. Y.M.C.A. (single), Village People (1978)
    19. A Feather on the Breath of God (album), Gothic Voices; Christopher Page, conductor; Hildegard von Bingen, composer (1982)
    20. Private Dancer (album), Tina Turner (1984)
    21. Ven Conmigo (album), Selena (1990)
    22. The Chronic (album), Dr. Dre (1992)
    23. I Will Always Love You (single), Whitney Houston (1992)
    24. Concert in the Garden (album), Maria Schneider Orchestra (2004)
    25. Percussion Concerto (album), Colin Currie (2008)

Auriaprottu, NER_MCFC and luftmensch repped this.
  24. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #1499 crazypete13, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    I absolutely love record stores. I'm fortunate that my work has provided me the opportunity to see the world and visit stores in some great music cities like London, Amsterdam, Sydney, Melbourne, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco & Austin. Over the years, but especially in the last decade - I've been curating the soundtrack to my life, and as much as I owe some of the things I've found to my travels and a certain serendipity, most of my collection stems from digging in my hometown Toronto

Here at home, I've been lucky to grow up in a city where they were plentiful, though while a lot of the places of my youth are long gone, the memories linger, and in many cases I can thumb through my collection and remember the place and time I found certain records. With the current stay at home order, I have been jonesing for a dig for months, an itch that online purchases can't scratch.

Before the virus, I generally liked to hit up a couple spots, weekly if possible, though I had a rotation of haunts that I'd hit whenever the mood struck. So with the provincial government lifting some of the restrictions on retail stores this week - I'm using my day off this upcoming Friday to support two of the stores that have been mainstays in my life of record buying since I was buying mostly CDs in the 90s and 00s. With mask and hand sanitizer at the ready I'm willing to brave the post-virus retail landscape.

My first stop when it opens is Rotate This! - the store I've been darkening the doorway of since it opened in the mid 90s when Queen West was still pretty sketchy part of town, and is now in its third location on Ossington Ave. This has been my go to for new indie releases, concert tickets and it's proximity to several bars and restaurants nearby (shoutout to the Painted Lady, Communist’s Daughter and Pizza Libretto) made for the enjoyable post-dig beer.

After that, I'll mosey over to Sonic Boom - another store I've been frequenting since it opened in the early 00s on the Bloor Street strip of stores in the Annex (referenced in the Barenaked Ladies 'Brian Wilson'). Also in its third location (now in Chinatown, ok fourth, if you count the time they had a second store in Kensington Market), it's easily my favourite spot for digging used records, as their new arrivals is invariably chock full of goodness.

I could list off a few more places (honourable mention to Pandemonium, Kops, Play de Record) but with social distancing measures and the inevitable lines - that's all I'm likely to squeeze in that day. Now, more than ever, support your local record store.

Len, NER_MCFC and Moishe repped this.
  25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I too am looking forward to getting out and grabbing some vinyl. I'm giving myself a couple of weeks after Georgia/South Carolina open up as I sense a tiny rush which I'd rather avoid. The Lowcountry aside from Charleston really lacks when it comes to vinyl though Savannah has some pretty good spots including some antique stores (one of my bigger hobbies since retirement).

For online purchases I have become a big supporter of Reverb.Com. Aside from all the great vinyl resources, used/antique musical instruments are available and most importantly used high end audio gear.

crazypete13 repped this.