The Renamed 'random thoughts about music' thread"?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by nicodemus, Jan 6, 2007.

1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It made more sense in the record era, 7"s were singles if they were 45 rpm and EPs if they were 33 1/3 (usually four songs). A 12" could be an LP (33 1/3), EP (33 1/3) with 3-5 songs - but generally less than 30 minutes of music, or a 12" single - usually with 2-3 songs a side and less than 4 total - but generally had instrumental tracks, and were 33 1/3 for dance music and 45 for pop/rock. 10"s were the original singles for 78 RPM, but eventually became a novelty and can be either 45 or 33 1/3, and be singles or EPs. That said numerous exceptions abound.

Once cassettes came around they shoe-horned these loose categories into cassette singles, EPs and albums (essentially LPs), though each format (Single/EP/Album) was not limited to the mastering sizes for records and blurred the lines even further.

All the CD era did was add new restrictions and options, and album became roughly 70 minutes of music, and EP was still <30, and singles were four songs or less - anyone remember the CD singles that were tiny and needed an adapter to sit in the tray?

Of course none of this speaks to double EPs, double singles/12"s/7"s or double LPs/albums - or weird records that have 33 1/3 playback on one side but 45 on the other.

Either way its a relatively loose categorization system.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    #1452 Dr. Know, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Pretty damn good list. But Nick Cave's version of Mack the Knife is darker and it fits the play beter.
    Back when Borders the book shop was closing they were selling everything cheap. I got great book on Kurt Weill for 2 dollars.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are people here familiar with Bandcamp? I wouldn't be surprised if I was the last to hear of it, but it's a really special music store. I was looking for a long-time favorite's group latest album and they led me there and now I'm browsing an infinite sea of really out-there music that feels hyper modern. It's designed for indie artists, and you can pay over list price if you feel like it.

They have a running tally of music bought, which is a good place to randomly pick things you want to listen to. Every one I've picked so far is awesome. You can find lots of Steam video game soundtracks there too, if you are into that.

crazypete13 repped this.
  4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

Lost Bob Marley Tapes Are Restored After 40 Years In A Basement
    - N.Y. Times
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/06/arts/music/bob-marley-lost-tapes-restored.html?_r=0

For 40 years, 13 reel-to-reel tapes containing live Bob Marley songs sat in a cardboard box in a London hotel basement. They might have landed in the trash if they hadn’t been discovered in a building clean-out by a friend of the London businessman Joe Gatt, who alerted his colleague Louis Hoover. Mr. Hoover recognized the value of the tapes immediately. “I was speechless,” he told The Guardian.

The analog tapes contain the original recordings of Mr. Marley’s concerts between 1974 and 1978, at European venues like the Lyceum Theater in London and the Pavillon de Paris.

At first, the two men thought the tapes were unsalvageable because of water damage. “There was literally plasticized gunk oozing from every inch and, in truth, saving the sound quality of the recordings looked like it was going to be a hopeless task,” Mr. Hoover said. But a sound technician worked for a year to restore the sound quality of 10 out of the 13 tapes to a condition that “made the hair on the back of our necks stand up,” Mr. Hoover said. The Guardian reported that the project cost about $31,000.

It has not yet been announced whether the recordings, which include the songs “No Woman No Cry” and “I Shot the Sheriff,” would be released to the public. A new vinyl set of Bob Marley & the Wailers’ “Live!,” which includes recordings from the 1975 concert at the Lyceum Theater, was released in December.

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yeah, a friend's band has their albums up there.

Cool stuff to be had there.

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
  7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    On Wednesday, the Library of Congress announced 25 new additions to the National Recording Registry.

National Recording Registry Picks 'Over The Rainbow'; Barbra Streisand, Richard Pryor Among Inductees - Library of Congress
    https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-17-029/

(in chronological order)

1. The 1888 London cylinder recordings of Col. George Gouraud (1888)
    2. “Lift Every Voice and Sing” (singles), Manhattan Harmony Four (1923); Melba Moore and Friends (1990)
    3. “Puttin’ on the Ritz” (single), Harry Richman (1929)
    4. “Over the Rainbow” (single), Judy Garland (1939)
    5. “I’ll Fly Away” (single), The Chuck Wagon Gang (1948)
    6. “Hound Dog” (single), Big Mama Thornton (1953)
    7. “Saxophone Colossus,” Sonny Rollins (1956)
    8. Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants at the Polo Grounds, announced by Vin Scully (September 8, 1957)
    9. “Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs,” Marty Robbins (1959)
    10. “The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery,” Wes Montgomery (1960)
    11. “People” (single), Barbra Streisand (1964)
    12. “In the Midnight Hour” (single), Wilson Pickett (1965)
    13. “Amazing Grace” (single), Judy Collins (1970)
    14. “American Pie” (single), Don McLean (1971)
    15. “All Things Considered,” first broadcast (May 3, 1971)
    16. “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars,” David Bowie (1972)
    17. “The Wiz,” original Broadway cast (1975)
    18. “Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975),” Eagles (1976)
    19. “Scott Joplin’s Treemonisha,” Gunter Schuller, arr. (1976)
    20. “Wanted: Live in Concert,” Richard Pryor (1978)
    21. “We Are Family” (single), Sister Sledge (1979)
    22. “Remain in Light,” Talking Heads (1980)
    23. “Straight Outta Compton,” N.W.A (1988)
    24. “Rachmaninoff’s Vespers (All-Night Vigil),” Robert Shaw Festival Singers (1990)
    25. “Signatures,” Renée Fleming (1997)

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it kind of remarkable that some of those weren't in there already, most notably Over the Rainbow.

Len, riverplate, Moishe and 3 others repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Damn shame Joplin never got to here this fully orchestrated, and see it professionally staged.

riverplate repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Puttin' On the Ritz" and "Hound Dog" too.

"Remain In Light" and "Straight Outta Compton" seem to be right on time to me.

ElasticNorseman and luftmensch repped this.
  12. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "Pay To Cum" by Bad Brains.
    sound.png

luftmensch repped this.
  13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    There was a time the obvious choice would have been Springsteen's "Born to Run". Now, I'd have to give it a little more thought.

EDIT: Although it may still be "Born to Run".

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Baba O'Reilly?" The Derek and the Dominos version of "Little Wing?" "Can Ya Hear Me Knockin,'?" Poco's "Sweet Love?" "Dark Star?"

15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #1465 crazypete13, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    “Waiting Room” - Fugazi

then

“Loretta’s Scars” - Pavement

Cascarino's Pizzeria and luftmensch repped this.
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    crazypete13 and luftmensch repped this.
  17. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silver Apples, "Water"

crazypete13 repped this.
  18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Best Buy To Pull CDs, Target Threatens To Pay Labels Only When Customers Buy Them - Billboard
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/...get-threatens-to-pay-labels-for-cds-only-when
    :(

Dr. Wankler and Len repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    crazypete13 and Dyvel repped this.
  20. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Roseann Cash needs to write a book about the list. Not the album she made by that name, but about the list of songs her dad wrote out for her so she could have a better idea of how really great songs are written

Dyvel repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't know that Rosie has produced anything to match "I Still Miss Someone," and "Big River" is about as good as anything she's come up with; but still if you compare the rest of Johnny's ouvre to all of hers, I'd take hers easy. She's about the best songwriter going these days. "Etta's Tune" just knocks me out.

But you know, "7 Year Ache" is overdue for a cover, "Blue Moon With Heartache" is a Hall of Fame caliber song, "Dance With the Tiger," "That Summer I Read Colette" "Western Wall"--- the list is getting wide and high... She could write her own list at this point I think.

BTW its "Rosanne" not "Roseann..."

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You Make Me Feel So Young" by Frank Sinatra, from Songs for Swingin' Lovers

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a completely subjective statement. Or, put another way, no.

And it's "oeuvre", not "ouvre". (It's also, in this particular case, "it's" rather than "its")
    :)

25. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

But I'm still in mourning Dolores O'Riordan, so this week month, it's Salvation by the Cranberries.