The Reliving Past Glories Derby: LOLerpool v. Arsenal, Sunday September 2nd, 1330 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Aug 27, 2012.

1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. ogadeni

ogadeni Member

Oct 30, 2009
    San Jose, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I start to liking him. He is improving very quickly and he is getting confident in a year or two he will be solid.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gunner0007 and Tonerl repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you use the Precious:Halle Barry analogy then it's the other way around

5. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What? lol, take it easy after years of being injury plagued, the guy has 1 good game
    and now he is legend? I hope you are correct.

7. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah man, don't jinx it. Keep hyping him up like that and he'll start playing like Gourcuff

8. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I've always thought this even years ago. I'm just talking his talent here. Not the fact about his injuries. Obviously chances are he won't do what Zidane did, but talent wise in the french team he is the closest thing to Zidane in terms of how he can dominate. We've had comparisons when it came to Gourcuff, Nasri, but I think he is the closest one. And I don't believe that one man talks about how good a player is can cause another player to get injured. Absuuurd.

charlie15 repped this.
  9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair enough. If Diaby is 1/2 the player Zizou was, the lads will do quite well this season.

10. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I can see what gunner007 is talking about (solely in that game of course). He was sort of Zidanesque, there was nonchalance about his brilliance that was very nostalgic indeed :inlove:

11. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    THIS. I tweeted Sunday that I started seeing glimpses of "Le Sulk" in Giroud. Hopefully he has more character. He knows he's under it. Can't keep wasting clear chances.

12. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crosses that were played to him weren't great and that can be understandably frustrating. He press the ball the whole time and made good runs. It will take some time for him to get adjusted to the team. etc. I think he will do well, at least he is not Cham

13. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diaby is....the new Zidane, Vieira, Maradona, Song. Let's just let him be Diaby for a season, shall we?

mebeSajid and wanye_stirrear repped this.
  14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    HAHAHAHA

15. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man, was anyone else as nostalgic as I was to watch an Arsenal defense move and defend as a unit, for our best attacking play to all come down the left side, and for our big French mid to boss the game?

16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giroud is anything but "Le Sulk". Anelka was a talented young man who reached the top too fast while Giroud got where he is by hard work and dedication. Two different trajectories and two different characters as well. If he is frustrated, it is mostly with himself and that will push him to work harder. We will never blame Giroud for a lack of effort and commitment, unlike Mr nochalant Le Sulk.

17. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. I do really think Giroud will come good in short order. His movement is really good - watching the highlights a couple more times, for some reason I keep noticing Giroud's movement pulling defenders away from the goal to create space for other players, and creating space/separation for himself. Just getting the shots on goal is all that's needed.

He has a lot of confidence. I still love the cheekiness of his 40-yard shot against Stoke last weekend, too.

18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Just watched the full match finally.

-Was nice to see Pod score as he worked really hard up and down the pitch. I always liked him for Germany, but he seems determined to make us better and I that makes me like him more.

-Too bad Giroud couldn't convert his chance...he's won a lot of arial battles though and if we can provide him good service he will bag a few. I thought for sure he would finally get a good cross when Diaby broke free on the right, but Diaby overcooked a bit.

-Defense was pretty solid, but I think we were a little lucky too. Howard Webb seemed a little jaded with Suarez's antics and that helped a lot. Liverpool had a bit too much possession for me and too many opportunities, but can't argue with a clean sheet so good job. Jenks was good, but had 1-2 moments as did Per. Thought the Gibbs/Pod partnership was excellent and well-balanced.

-Was really pleased with the counter attacking sense of our new boys, all three seemed to have an instinct for direct and quick play.

-I've been Diaby's biggest critic, but he had a good game so I'll give him credit. Pulled off some good moves and 1-2 decisive passes. We will need him to play like that 90% of the time if we are going to challenge for anything worthwhile.

-A little surprised to not see Theo as a sub at least. I know it probably has something to do with contract discussions, but we are paying him so no point in not getting something out of it.