The Relegation Race

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by toohyper, Aug 13, 2012.

1. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sangju already going down due to being a military team.

2 more teams to go down after Sangju. Jeonnam, Gangwon, Daejeon, or perhaps Gwangju (I think Gwangju have enough talent to survive. LSG, KDS, Paolo).

Wildcard could be Seongnam but too big of a club + talent.

Discuss.

2. redknights

redknights Member

Jan 20, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    why? I thought at least being in the K-League was the least the military can do for stealing 2 years away from the prime of a player's career.

Thus I had made the point earlier that maybe exemption isn't as big of a deal for players that would never make it out of the K-League i the first place. Sangju in the 2nd tier throws that idea out of the window.

3. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    AFC is forcing K-League to do this from what I understand. Sangju won't be in the top tier next season.

4. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My two picks so far: Gwangju and Daejeon

Gwangju has been in a sh!thole for a while. They are having trouble inside the club as well. (Conflict with the director).

5. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Is this for sure? I haven't heard any "official" words from K-league as to whether Sangju will be automatically relegated.

If they're not, my two picks for relegation will be Gangwon and Daejeon( :cry: ). Chunnam will probably bounce back after the split. It's surprising how quickly Incheon turned things around. I thought they were going to be relegated for sure up until a few weeks ago.

6. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Will the promoted clubs actually be promoted this time around?

7. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    From my understanding, there won't be promotion this year. They're trying to reduce the size of the K-League itself.

I could be dead wrong though.

8. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You haven't been relegated until you've been perma-relegated.

9. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    For this year, there are no teams being promoted. Just 2 teams being relegated into the new second tier K2 (we don't know what the names of the leagues will be yet).

At the end of next year, two more teams will be automatically relegated, with the third last placed team in K1 and the first placed team in K2 battling it out for a place in top tier. That leaves us with 12 teams in K1, and 10~12 in K2.

Proper promotion/relegation will start the year after.

10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Incheon is slowly climbing into mid-table now. Everyone thought they would be the first to get relegated before the season but they have turned it on as of late.

What I don't get is why did Gwangju not make any transfer move? It's one thing to try to groom all these young players, i get it. But bring a new foreigner or some sh*t. The goalkeeper sucks and the defense is a nightmare. And we need a defensive mid-fielder.

11. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This might answer your question.

http://footballkorea.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/fans-and-the-director-in-conflict-in-gwangju-fc/

12. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic