The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    oh god, I hope he doesn't give that any play.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The work permit issue would be a huge roadblock, unless they want to loan him out for a few years.

3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have confirmation that the deal with WB is indeed "in place", as this "Scouts in Attendance" person is claiming?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it would be best for Sargent to say no thanks.

5. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I almost feel like hes having too much success too quickly and is pricing himself out of a quality Euro spot. By that I mean, only bigger clubs who are less invested in youth setups, like MCFC, will be able to afford him. Much rather he go to a club like Bremen to start, a club he would probably get loaned to at MCFC anyways. Odd statement I know.

SUDano repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he's not lured in by the money and prestige of a big premier league club. It's probably a road to nowhere. The assessment that he's mature and reveres Lewandowski can put one at ease in this regard. Stick to Germany, big Dutch, or big French. Lewandowski didn't start his career with a big club/league and then went to Dortmund. Either choice would improve his chances of succeeding, IMO.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I agree totally. Bremen would be a great club for him. Instead of going to a big club who will just buy top players from lower teams to jump over him start out at one of those lower clubs to get first team minutes who will develop him to then be bought by one of those top clubs. Too bad no US club will financially benefit from the purchase though. Things must change.

8. I read he's from the St. Louis area. What club is he playing for?

9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis Scott Gallagher Soccer Club

10. #135 feyenoordsoccerfan, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  11. Is he in this picture from that visit?
    upload_2017-6-2_1-31-19.png

12. #137 feyenoordsoccerfan, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Thinking about it, it's a little bit odd that he, as a kid from the Feyenoord affiliated SLSG, hasnot been mentioned in connection to us.
    I would think that any kid that show promise from the SLSG stable would be drawn first to our academy and club.
    And to be in a place where you get coaching from a super star striker Roy Makaay to perfect your attacking skills and given the chance to be in striking distance of a place in a CL group stage team, that Werder Bremen thing seems a little bit odd.
    If I was him I would go for the club with world reknown super stars as coaches.
    Odd.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been in Bradenton and away from SLSG for the last year and a half at least. Could've been over to Rotterdam at some point before that but I've never seen it mentioned. He did spend some time training at PSV though.

14. Yes, he was recommended end last year by his youth nat. coach to PSV, I read in the PSV sites.
    Think he hasnot thought things thoroughly enough, because he was, so it seems, looking for a contract, which is impossible before his birthday next year. He seems too impatient.
    If he has been groomed by SLSG the Feyenoord way and he really has the qualities, he would land at Feyenoord in our youth team, because Feyenoord wouldnot have to mend any flaws in his development. But the fact he has been away from SLSG for at least the last 18 month is a sign he didnot get our approach in development in his important years, so that advantage isnot there.

15. Raiola bout a league that would be very good for him:

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/392882/Raiola_zet_deur_open_voor_transfer_naar_Eredivisie
    Mino Raiola behartigt de belangen van een hele hoop supersterren, waaronder Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Romelu Lukaku en Paul Pogba. Ook heeft hij echter een groot aantal talenten in zijn stal: Gianluigi Donnarumma van AC Milan bijvoorbeeld. Ook Moise Kean behoort tot de clientèle van de zaakwaarnemer en misschien speelt de jonge spits volgend seizoen wel in Nederland, via een huurtransfer.

Onlangs scoorde de Italiaan de winnende treffer voor Juventus tegen Bologna en Raiola vertelt in gesprek met de krant Corriere dello Sport: "Moise is een echt fenomeen geworden. Hij is zeventien en op zijn leeftijd heb ik weinig spelers gezien die sterker zijn dan hij. Met Juventus is alles goed, we zullen bepalen hoe we volgend seizoen verder gaan."

Een verhuurperiode bij een Eredivisie-club is een serieuze optie voor de nabije toekomst. "Als hij niet permanent in het eerste elftal wordt opgenomen hebben we een ander idee: een jaar op huurbasis in de Eredivisie, een competitie waar hij zich technisch kan ontwikkelen. Tactisch gezien is de Hollandse school absolute wereldklasse."

google translate:
    Mino Raiola carries out the interests of a lot of superstars, including Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Romelu Lukaku and Paul Pogba. He also has a large number of talents in his stable: Gianluigi Donnarumma of AC Milan, for example. Moise Kean also belongs to the client's clientele and maybe the young spit will be playing in the Netherlands next season via a lease transfer.

Recently, the Italian scored the winning match for Juventus against Bologna and Raiola told Corriere dello Sport newspaper: "Moise has become a real phenomenon. He's seventeen and at his age I saw few players stronger than he. Juventus is all right, we will decide how to continue next season. "

A rental period at an Eredivisie club is a serious option for the near future. "If he is not permanently included in the first team, we have another idea: one year on a lease in the Eredivisie, a competition where he can develop technically. Tactically, the Dutch school is absolute world class."

16. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Maybe because he's past the Feyenoord Academy stage

Jurgen Klinsmann was a super star so I'm not buying on that philosophy

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    #142 Scotty, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    But wouldn't Scott Gallagher get some kind of financial compensation for his development?

I was thinking about how Man Utd had to pay some minimal (for them) amount to Parma for Giuseppe Rossi, who was still only 16 at the time and had no pro contract with the Italian club.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotty repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Nope. USSF for a number of reasons don't want to receive solidarity payments because they don't want to pay them.
    https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...clubs-solidarity-compensation-fifa-transfers#

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1616...misses-class-action-lawsuit-involving-bradley

I have never heard that any US Youth Club has received any transfer or solidarity payment from MLS or any International Club.
    PA Classics never received a dime for Pulisic, FC Dallas or any other of his clubs received anything for W.McKennie.

Scotty repped this.
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read it's the MLSPU who are against it. The idea there would be teams paying training comp and solidarity fees would pay them out of the MLS players' salary pool. It's not that the landscape is against receiving training comp from foreign clubs, who doesn't want mo' money?, it's about that once it's allowed in the US then MLS also has to pay all those fees to all these non-MLS clubs they get players from. Sea for example would have been required to pay training comp to Eastside for Morris and Crossfire for Yedlin.

Still, the USSF has the power to just employ it. And they obviously should. Non-MLS clubs have and will be an enormous part of our development going forward given the sheer size of our landscape.

Training comp is only one aspect. What will really be a shame is a solidarity payment if/when Pulisic transfers to England/Spain on a 40-50M+ fee. PA Classics would then stand to have a multi-million check written to them....blocked. They'd be due roughly 5% of any future transfers fees. You do the math. If PA Classics were to get a 5M check then they could cover free training for youth for awhile, which is the answer to confronting pay to play.

Parchman wrote a good article on this a while back. Essentially, development is handicapped until the money goes from the top down, which it does not currently. It has to trickle down to the grassroots to offer incentive.

KUSA77, USSoccerNova, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  21. Mmm, so it is unlikely a man like Roy Makaay, winner of the European Golden Boot and former top scorer in Spain and Germany could teach Josh about becoming a top striker. Okay, makes sense.
    He's 17 and past one of the best academies in the world.
    You probably should take over from Raiola, as he's out of touch with reality when he said :

"A rental period at an Eredivisie club is a serious option for the near future. "If he is not permanently included in the first team, we have another idea: one year on a lease in the Eredivisie, a competition where he can develop technically. Tactically, the Dutch school is absolute world class."
    about a kid who already played first team matches for Juventus. See my post up.
    Josh with no experience with top football whatso ever is passed these things, ... right ...who could come up with another conclusion.

22. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does every decision by an 18 year old have to devolve into the relative merits of individual clubs' development systems? Like choosing colleges, there are a lot of non-soccer reasons that go into why a player would choose one good club over another good club AND non-soccer reasons why a player will succeed in one good setup but not another. These are not secret labs with totally unknown techniques...skills, tactics, physical development are the focus for all of them.

Where is the environment a player can thrive and achieve excellence...apparently Sargent feels it is in Bremen. Maybe he likes the coach or felt challenged by the cohort he'll be playing in (Pulisic had Passlack), maybe it was a sunny day and a pretty girl (or boy) smiled at him. Though, I think we can all agree Man City is probably not the best spot.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    after watching him play in a different role vs nz its hard not to be even more excited about him as a prospect. great soccer brain

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Devolve? Its a good thing that players and fans are interested in clubs' development systems. Convince me that so called non-soccer reasons are just soccer reasons alittle down the list.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just seems like the same argument over an over again, "this club is better", "no, this club is better" followed by a list of players passing through each, then some chart of first team players by academy

superdave and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.