The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the second goal you knew it was over, and you suspected as much with the early first goal by Union.

2. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Maybe Sargent should do some crazy things such as dying his hair etc. It may change his luck a little bit. Just kidding.

He did produce two yellow cards which should happen closing to the box for PK/dangerous FK etc. Just watched other game, see #34 of Glabach keeping the defenders on the heel. Sargent needs to do just that.

taylor and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which isn't a problem, or wouldn't be problem if it wasn't for his questionable expeditions on the field of play. This season anyway.

m vann repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You jest, but he played there as long as Daryl Dike has. If Dike transfers this offseason then flops the headline would read "another MLS product struggles in Europe". People can't have it one way but not the other.

The reality is only so much development can take place in one season, but your first real opportunity is your most valuable by far on average.

onefineesq and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were Daryl, I'd be really mad at my parents. "He got a cool name like Bright, and I'm just Daryl?"

[​IMG]

m vann repped this.
  6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what are we supposed to tattoo on the back of our hands here? Your entire post?? The font would be so dang small I wouldn’t be able to read it, especially with my wrinkled yoda-like skin

russ repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    then get it on your lower back

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bremen's offense is so poor that I often find myself wanting to turn off the game even when Sargent is playing. And hearing the commentators talk about the forwards needing to do better is brutal. Sargent, Fulkrug, Selke, Osako... put anyone in there and they just don't get enough consistent service to be in form. They may have a good game now and then but they will never be consistently threatening w/o service. The midfield needs to burn... but I think the coach and the whole system does too. Just brutal.

9. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you implying I post with my head up my butt? :eek:

10. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Sarge badly needs to get out of there come summer.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarge got a Kicker 4.5 against Union Berlin (1 best, 6 worst). As bad as that seems it was tied for the best Bremen field player. He needs to get outta Dodge. Like others here I want to see can play up a level or two, it is difficult to judge on such a crap team.

Edit: The 2nd half subs Mbom and Selke were rated a bit higher at 4.0.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he's got the "DD" alliteration going for him.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And they lost, which leaves them 4 points and a +7 GD ahead of the playoff slot. On top of that, next up is Leverkusen on Saturday, followed by Augsburg and Gladbach. The good news is that those three games are followed by a stretch of half-a-dozen games (Hertha, Schalke, Bielefeld, Hoffenheim, Freiburg, Frankfurt, Koln) that are almost all against other bottom-third sides.

As long as they don't get hammered in two of the next three games they should still be in touch with the their fellow-strugglers as that run starts. That is key to stopping them becoming one of those teams that's been playing badly but still grinding out results, and then the results stop coming and they get cut off in a group of 4-5 sides that spend the second half of the season circling the drain. They stayed up via the playoffs last season, but if you do that too often, eventually you'll be the BL1 side that loses the playoff and goes down.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Werder is just barely Schalke-esque in chance creation and average quality of chance.
    [​IMG]

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That graphic is frightening for two USMNT players/prospects... and they are both Strikers: Sargent and Hoppe. What a bummer.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not particularly accurate. It's poor, but Schalke, West Brom, & Bielefeld are in a league of their own. Werder are at least a tier up w/ Wolves, Betis, Eibar, etc. It's not such terrible co.

And they'd move up at least another half tier if Fullkrug was at striker to not hesitate or poor first touch Werder into worse chances like Josh. If Fullkrug is ready to start again, and Josh moves back to SS or wing, I think we'll see Werder magically function a little better and score a few more goals.

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as long as you take thier lack of production accordingly, no worries.

If Sargent couldn't score but was on BVB, say, then it would be a different story.

This graph supports my thinking that it is often easier to be a striker (or player, for that matter) on a good team than bad....*even though it is much more difficult to actually be signed by such a team.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is the dichotomy of high stratified leagues. It's harder to grab a role and minutes on a top team ... but once you are there, it's far easier to actually play. It's harder for Chris Richards to win a Bayern Munich job, but once he's on the field, he has vastly superior teammates, faces few challenges and never has to mark Lewandowski!

russ and The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's obvious, but it doesn't justify nihilism w/ player performance. It's still relative & a player should be expected to have average (or above) efficiency with the chances they do receive. Josh has been objectively well below average in that department still, likely because his confidence has been adversely impacted. For other players theirs are unwavering. The struggles won't snowball. Avoiding that is a big part of being a successful striker.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    what statistic are you citing for this objective below average-ness?

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goals per shot, among others. He's one of the lowest in the league, among qualifiers.

Also, the other two strikers on the team - Fullkrug & Selke - have more goals in a fraction of the minutes.

It shouldn't be surprising. One through a half season is a particularly low output, even if you're on a bad team.

22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Literally just goals per shot. That is the only statistic that he/she uses. "Among others" doesn't exist. I already tried with numerous other stats (WhoScored rating, key passes = reyna, xG)...nothing takes...

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Reddit pointed out Jimenez has done a remarkable job given Wolves lack of chance creation.

gogorath repped this.
  24. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I was thinking a player like Cavani—When Man U was struggling, he would come in as sub to save their bacon.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looking at that table you'd never guess Real Madrid is #2, Atletico is #1, and Barcelona #5 or #6. And all three have scored about the same.