The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    I remember my first cycle.

Wait until you see Nigeria's U-17s. They will make your head spin.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fyp oh so subtly.

3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I agree. But I am not sure we can field two full teams that could make the finals.

4. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha not my first cycle. Perhaps I'm just an extreme optimist when it comes to player development, but I do believe there are more and more talented players coming up in the US system now. With the DAs, the changes to youth soccer, the tv exposure, and parents starting to steer their kids clear of football, I think the level of play is definitely trending up.

And we all know those Nigerians are older than U17.

Not yet;)

GoingGoaling and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't sell us short, easily 3 teams lol

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anything less than having three teams in the finals is accepting failure!

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, now that they've seen Pa-ree?

;)

Gacm32 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Update. Your hopes have come true. You are wrong. :)

Hobo, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 5 others repped this.
  10. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Will be really interesting to see where he decides to sign, and what teams are vying for his services.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke already has Haji Wright. Don't want two Americans getting in each other's way. That seems like it would be better for Schalke than Sargent. Doesn't help that Wright is over-due for an a-team opportunity. So far all they've shown is that they can sell it as a home for Americans.

I'd think Dortmund would be the better option, seeing how they gave Pulisic an opportunity and with him as a role model there. But he may have to battle Isak. I could see them getting all 4 of Pulisic, Dembele, Isak, and Sargent on the field; if hypothetically they were all clearly good enough. The first 3 have some versatility. Being the #2 there wouldn't exactly be devastating. From what I know they aren't well-stocked at that position going forward, with Aubama probably not staying for more than a couple years, and Ramos in his 30's and currently loaned out.

He could join Gaines at Wolfie. They seem to develop players well for bigger clubs. Isaiah Young is at Werder and things seem to be going well for him. They've gotten a bad rep in the past as a club that plays to avoid relegation. But things may be changing for them. They're really back on the upswing at 7th in the table. Made a great pick up in the sort of Yank, Thomas Delaney. Their forward options are around 30. Ajo is going to be on the outs, after I think they gave him a fair shot. He just suffered from injuries and underwhelming play. Jurgen seems to have a connection there with all the interest they've shown American players, and not just on cheap youth contracts. That might be the best option, actually.

Of course he doesn't have to join a team with an existing player or one in Germany. But those seem to be the most reliable routes to set up our boys for success overseas right now.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The three goals he scored in this tournament were pretty ridiculous. He very clearly does some things at a high level and has a world of potential.

He still has a habit of assuming his teammates are in places they aren't. At times, he passes the ball to where he seems to think his teammates should be instead of where they are.

I think he definitely would've benefited from being in some sort of academy the last two years or so but he's improved a lot the last year so hopefully he can keep improving

Winoman, EricSunRa and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I do think it is odd that he is captain of this team. As a lone striker, he isn't in a position to organize his teammates and, like you said, he was not on the same page with them at times.

Still, he is a finisher and has decent feet. He does drop into the midfield and combines well there.

Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  14. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bremen is watching him according to Kristian Dyer

ChuckMe92 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Unless this is for immediate playing time, I think he should be able to sign with a better team.

Lookingforleftbacks and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Between Kruse, Bartels, Eggestein, and Gnabry, he would have an uphill climb to make the 18. Bremen isn't the flashiest, but they have no shortage of goal scorers. I'd say it's a good move that'll challenge him (if it happens)

Gacm32 repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #42 ussoccer97531, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    He can't sign for at least another year, so I'm not sure this is really the team you want to bet on being on the up. What if Bremen are relegation contenders a year from now? Will it be such a good move?

I do agree with what you are saying that there should be a challenge for playing time if he signed with them, but if he's going to forego potential early playing time in MLS to play in Europe, I'd hope its with a better team than Werder Bremen or if not, its a team he can get regular playing time right away, like Rubio Rubin had at Utrecht. I don't even think he'd go right into the first team. I think he'd have to prove himself with the U-19's for a year (maybe more), and I don't think Bremen are going to be competing for European football next season, so I think this would kind of be a no man's land type of move. Not that good of a team, and probably won't get into the first team right away.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Leverkusen needs a striker pretty badly :p

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like to think he's earned more European interest with two goals against Ecaudor.

ChuckMe92 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel really dumb for thinking he wouldn't be ready for the U20s.

21. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    He was excellent out there. Even aside from his goals, he had good holdup and connecting play. Very Lewandoski like in style and size.

22. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Parchman wrote what I thought was a great point on Sargent's first goal. He never lifted his eyes from the moment the ball came to him to the moment it left his foot. Just pure positional instinct that you either have or you don't. Really impressive.

TheFalseNine and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think at this rate by the time he turns 18 at least half the Bund will be interested in him.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he has to sign in the Bundesliga. It could be Bundesliga, but doesn't have to, IMO.

Somewhere like Schalke, Leverkusen, PSV, Ajax, Porto, Lisbon, Leipzig will do. Some club of that caliber who is willing to play younger players.

25. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Bremen's interest extends back to at least January when they invited him for a tour of the grounds and a match against Bayern

USSoccerNova repped this.