The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with over. I'm cautiously optimistic he will get ~10 goals and ~5 assists.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    If healthy, over for sure. I feel confident in his growth from this season to next.

3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yep, has to be over. I would think it unlikely the team can be as miserable next year, unless they have some Schalke-ish money problems. He should have had 6-7 this year, but just couldn't get his finishing down. Get 50% more minutes, and he should be about 10 goals in all competitions.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And I feel confident that Werder won't spend money, so Josh gets more playing time, and he isn't a bad finisher. So 7, yes. Will it help keeping Werder afloat? No, just a poor team.
    So we are back to the same topic in a year.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Rumor in Germany is that Bremen is selling two players and buying four. The first one to go out would be Rashica (to RB Leipzig or AC Milan) and the first one they're planning to buy is Peter Michorl. The rumor also states the other three to be bought are a second midfielder, a defender and a striker.

https://www.90min.de/posts/milot-rashica-transfer-werder-bremen-rb-leipzig

https://www.deichstube.de/news/werd...sel-transfer-news-bundesliga-zr-13233175.html

LouisianaViking07/09 and butters59 repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will certainly try and upgrade at striker.

sXeWesley repped this.
  7. gruenweiss87

gruenweiss87 Member

Werder Bremen
    Germany
    Sep 9, 2018
    Kohfeldt’s quote “shit season but good ending” sums it up well.

Team situation: most fans are hoping that he will stay in Bremen and resist the Hoffenheim lure. Rumoured replacement is former Mainz coach Sandro Schwarz. Retaining Kohfeldt would also increase the chances of buying Kevin Vogt who is an important puzzle piece since Bargfrede may have to end his career prematurely unfortunately. It looks like Kruse could return to Bremen and some players returning from very long injuries will make the team stronger (Möhwald, Toprak, Füllkrug).

Sargent‘s situation: improved team play after the Coronavirus break but needs to be more clinical in front of the net. Kruse and Füllkrug will be locks as starters but he‘ll compete with Selke and others for a free spot if Rashica and Osako leave Bremen. Selke is better than what he’s shown but is a completely different type of forward so Sargent’s odds are good. People are excited about Woltemade but I think he needs more time.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If he scores 10 league goals, then we're in the Money :D

9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4809 naopon, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Well, Josh will need to step up and make the most of his chances next season. Osako's already been shipped out to FC Rostov in the Russian Premier League!!.

Eccje8vWoAASX-_.jpeg

.....oh never mind. Rostov actually signed a tough-tackling midfielder from FC Tokyo named Kento Hashimoto and just used the wrong guy's photo. I guess all Asian people look the same to them...

For reference this is the actual player they signed

EcdFcFfUEAAGaRG.jpeg

sXeWesley, ChicagoVT, dams and 10 others repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    damn your poor white eyes :giggle:

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be fair they've both worn #15 for the National team. Cincinnati did the same thing with their new coach a few weeks ago. Osaka and Rashica from what I've seen are two of their better players. They can't afford to lose too many but if they can turn one of their B players (they don't have an A guys) into two C+ guys that's probably a win all around

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4812 naopon, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Money will be tight at Bremen. One side effect of Werder staving off relegation is that they are obligated to keep Bittencourt and Toprak permanently for 11m combined, while Selke (1 goal in 30 league matches) has an automatic loan extension which turns into an obligation to buy if Werder stay up another year. This puts more pressure on the club to cash in on Rashica - relegation would have dropped his buyout clause to 10-15m which really would have sucked, but now they can try and get market price.

Part of the problem is that they have a bunch of B and C players, as you would call them. You look at the squad and see mostly solid, respected Bundesliga players which definitely don't scream "relegation fodder", but a few underperformers and a rash of injuries really screwed everything up. I'm sure the club is sick of hearing about how they miss Max Kruse, but another difference-maker or two could put them in a very different position next season.

13. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, didn't know any of that. The Selke deal is terrible. Toprak is alright and Bittencourt can be good on his day and can be a soul sucking individualista on others. 11 mil for the pair ain't too shabby...if you've got it.

14. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Bremen needs to sell some players according to Kicker. Rashica, Eggestein and Klassen are mentioned as the most valuable assets, but in the end every player is up for sale if the price is right.

https://www.kicker.de/779541/artikel/_keiner_ist_unverkaeuflich_baumann_braucht_transfererloese

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Over.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gist of the article also mentions Bremen will need to compromise on price, and other teams know that so the offers probably will not meet Bremen’s target. But in the end, Bremen will probably compromise and sell those three players (maybe others) for less.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Everybody is compromising on prices so if they sell cheap, they can also buy cheap.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Asset price deflation - the definition of an economic depression

taylor and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot will hinge on the price Werder is able to extract from Leipzig for Rashica. They could wait and see if Man Utd coughs up the fee for Sancho (meaning BVB would come into play for Rashica), but otherwise there aren't a lot of levers. Selling the homegrown Maxi Eggestein for a middling fee would be fairly unpalatable, and I'm not sure a guy like Klaassen is going to fetch a big windfall in the current climate.

The loan-to-buy obligations are looking bad at the moment, though it's hard to blame the management for making the deals at the time. They'll have to trim down some of the older and negative-value contracts and hope to find a surprise contributor on the cheap.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    good to pad them stats and get some CL games/goals.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    better coaching too

23. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A while back, I remember a discussion about strikers around Sargent's age in top 5 leagues. I wanted to look into it further so I made a viz. These are all the strikers that were born in 2000 or later that played in Top 5 leagues this last season. The guys who rank ahead of him on production are either established players (Haaland, Leao, Isak) or have small sample sizes. Also, think Sargent was the only one whose team seriously flirted with relegation which also hurts how he does, obviously. Anyways, as said before, I'm not too worried by this season, there are definitely things he needs to improve but I'm still confident he will come good eventually. The next 2 seasons are going to be pretty telling I think.

[​IMG]

Zinkoff, deejay, Sufjan Guzan and 16 others repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so is he on holiday in the US or is he putting in the long hours training at the training grounds?

25. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I would imagine he's staying in Germany because you know, there would be no guarantee that he'd be allowed to travel back to Germany if he came to the US.