The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd to think that Kohfeldt might be poached away by a club playing in Europe next year. I guess his methods and personality are that highly rated.

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if kohfeldt gets a promotion for that job marsch really is ready for bvb

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    So are you assuming he is a regular starter? Those aspirations seem modest for a starting striker, though perhaps you are assuming a dearth or chances because the team will be bad?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    hasn't the manager and club admited Sargent is one for the future and that they're committed to. if he can become a starter which he should (if healthy) i feel he can get 7 goals

SteelyTom repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was a regular starter next year then I would expect more than 7 goals.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, being a regular starter (and staying healthy) would mean double the minutes. I'd expect more than double the goals from a developing striker. If he starts (and he should), I'd want to see at least 10.

7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I am guessing that the modest goal number is a function of how bad the team is and how many chances he might get?

jnielsen repped this.
  8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... with the games/health caveat... 10 would be a minimum for a striker going into his 2nd full season. 14 sounds about right to me... that would be a good year.

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... with the games/health caveat... 10 would be a minimum for a striker going into his 2nd full season. 14 sounds about right to me... that would be a good year.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    bingo :D

11. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My exchange with AL this morning re Sargent, fwiw.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 12.15.41 PM.png

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    14 on Werder Bremen would get him a €40 million move to his pick of Europe's finest. I don't think he's all that close to that level. I would be super happy to be wrong about that.

11 (as mostly a winger, but still) has Liverpool hovering around Rashica.

Zinkoff and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to agree, but this is all true.

madvillain and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if the team personnel remain the same. How many shots or even vaguely realistic shooting opportunities did he have per 90 min this season? I have no idea of the reality, but it seemed every time I watched, he had 1, at most. He wouldn't reach 7 goals/season if he only shoots once per game.

Zinkoff and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I won't pretend to have cared to much about Werder Bremen but the little I've seen the general feeling seems to be that Kohfeldt did a horrible job with squad selection and I've seen a few German sites say they felt Sargent deserved more of a look.

For thise that watched does that seem fair?

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched every minute he played this season and most of the minutes for the rest of the team as well. The fact that the team still couldn't defend set pieces by the end of the season speaks volumes about the coach. Even worse... there really seemed to be a concerted effort to not counter-attack. 90% of the time the ball was taken away at midfield they would find a way to pass it backwards instead of pushing forward.... and I can't remember a single counter from a corner-kick... perhaps because so many of them went for scores ;-).

18. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    He was one of their best players since the restart, which is really the only time he got a run of starts. This coincided with the team going about .500, and escaping relegation. It's clear he should have had more of a look. He was very good, and created quite a few chances for the team and for himself. His only issues was that final touch, which would have seen him with 7-8 goals instead of 4-5. Then, nobody would be saying anything except "he's far and away our best striker".

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I have only one albeit large problem with Sargent on a piss poor Bundi team: he has shown already an incredible amount of mental and competitive resilience. This helps him find ways to win in harsh conditions. But he's also become a worse footballer. He had a fairly elegant touch, control, pass and move game. Now he's basically forced to be an ape playing keep the banana. Touch, passing and movement are nearly never rewarded and it is ruining his ability to grow his football skills.

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah I would hope the DFL and their supporters could eventually find some middle ground on the 50+1 rule that allows foreign investors. But, BL supporters are a different breed and lose their minds at matches scheduled specifically for TV purposes.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just Alexi trolling.

22. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The away goal rule for the rel/pro playoff was decided long before anyone even dreamed there would be such a thing as covid19.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so over/under Josh scoring 7 league goals next season?

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Depends on whether they buy a replacement for Pizza & such replacement proves good enough to take away minutes from Josh.

DHC1 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under :(