The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Does he pull a Dempsey and score the goal that keeps them up?

Werder need a new coach. Doesn't know his best lineup. His best formation. His best tactic.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    in case not yet posted:

1280209729663520774 is not a valid tweet id

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he gets the assist right?.... ;-)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all seriousness... he is playing a rough/physical set of defenders and the ref is letting a lot of the rough stuff go. I guess it is OK to knee someone in the back... All-in-all... not Josh's best half of ball but he is doing well in the air. Hoping he gets an opportunity or two before he gets subbed out. 2nd half about to start.... here we go.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bremen stays because Heidenheim sucks. Cowfield still sucks. Sargent completes a 'just ok' season.

ShortyMac repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Happy for Bremen and Sargent.

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't quite grasp why away goals should be used in mandatory empty stadiums (aside from the drummers)

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Nice to see Sargent stay up, but they really need to get rid of Kohfeldt. I've never witnessed such boring, poor soccer.

Decent enough 1st full season for Sargent, all things considered. Next year is going to be a real key one in his development. Dipped his toe in, did well enough for a young striker, but next year that won't be enough. Will need to finish these chances he's creating, which would be huge in making Bremen more of a mid-table team rather than this crapfest they are right now.

Think he's right on track.

10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    hard to change rules in midstream and heidenheim didnt really try too hard to snag an away goal of their own

11. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    I agree. He showed growth, and he hopefully will make a leap as he goes from Year 1 to Year 2 (I'm thinking of 18-19 as Year 0).

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pizarro is retiring so they may buy a replacement striker. I doubt they have the money to go for anyone established, so if they buy it's going to be taking a risk with someone still earning his stripes.

13. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the last 6 minutes were exciting though

ttrevett and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... me too. Coach showed a lot of confidence in him keeping him even after Osako. Too bad he didn't score though. One on one with the keeper you gotta put that away. GK looked to get a bit lucky but still... In the end.. he was a legit part of a big comeback after the covid return for Bremen. He deserves credit... but next year will tell me a lot about who Josh is.

nobody and ChicagoVT repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think it's a better tiebreaker than penalty kicks. You know the score going in and are more apt to be settling it in open play as opposed to a skills comp.

FWIW, there were a few fans in the crowd - cheerleaders from the local high school team. For what they lacked in numbers they made up in spirit.

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So the away team in the first game doesn't park the bus. Go read some history if you're just getting started.

17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read his post? Have you read the effect of empty stadiums on home field advantage?

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We've seen enough of Bremen to know they have to make some additions to the team so there's a chance they catch fire next season.

I wonder what MLS players they could look at to stay in the affordable zone. I was thinking Robbie Robinson might want to get away from Miami if they bring in margquee type players who infringe on his playing time.

Richie Laryea would be a good pick up. He's a tricky customer.

I guess they already offered Morris a contract and he didn't want it.

Is Yueil athletic enough? He has certainly improved under Almeyda who thought Yueil could play in Europe. He fits the Osako role. They should take a look at Yueil.

Pomykal is a maybe if they are losing Osako.

There's Aaron long,Miazga, CCV, Richards.

They could get Soto on loan from Norwich. They say Soto can't get an English work permit.

19. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    It would be great if they thought this way, but they’ll probably look more to their academy and bring in 1-2 others to fill out weak spots.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I've been watching the Bundi for years and years. I can't remember seeing such shockingly bad football from big clubs like Werder Bremen and Schalke04. Some real changes need to be made to financial structures to entice foreign buyers. At the moment restrictions make buying these clubs extremely unattractive, especially when you have one dominant (and criminal) team poaching the best talent.

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does Josh not get an assist for that? (Ha). Perfect set up.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it’s gotten pretty bad in the last few years. It wasn’t that long ago that clubs like Schalke, Bayer L, Borussia M, etc. played some nice attacking football, even if they were a step behind BVB and of course Bayern Munich. Now those squads are unwatchable and it’s a chasm.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh's progress has been really good. I think better than just OK. He's gonna bust it out next season, wherever he is.

Kohfeldt will improve also, he is a very young coach. He just has to improve, honestly, because he has stunk it up badly. But, he will have time now to adjust and grow also.

Yes, I am an optimist. But, Josh's flashes this season, and his confidence and overall game has been really a treat to see. He will be better than fine in a few years, I predict.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm expecting 7 league goals, 3 assists for next season. Anything more and i'm over the moon

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By most subjective accounts B04 and BMG have been fairly entertaining this season...Schalke have been awful to watch for a while now, and everything kind of went wrong for Werder this year.