The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    its not so bad even if Josh only scores 5 goals a season.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old was Josh when he signed with WB? Better yet could he have been playing with pros while he was dicking around play for Scott Gallagher?

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    This is ridiculous commentary. I just watched his 25 minutes. His movement was good. His energy in defending was good. He gave the ball away once, after he did a great job to win the ball and was left on a island with a defender on his back. He was trying to buy time until a teammate could get open and misplayed the pass as he was falling down. Outside of that, his holdup play was good as he was successful several times there. He had no opportunities in the attacking third as he did not receive the ball in the area of the field once in those 25 minutes. Good game from Josh.

Excellency and Deeneaus repped this.
  4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difference of opinion obviously. But, when a young pup goes on in the closing phase of a game it'd be nice to see more energy, working his butt off more. He shouldn't be pacing himself for 70 minutes. I have no idea what Kohfeldt's instructions to him were, maybe he was following those. But several times he didn't make hard runs to get open and could have (just trotted half heartedly in the general direction towards goal). He also could have put the defenders under pressure on several occasions, possibly forced a turnover or got a tackle, but Josh just trotted over.

Believe me, I think the world of this kid. I want him to show some fire and passion out there. Regardless of how crappy and mediocre the team/coach is. IMHO he didn't show it last game...don't agree with the assessment of "energy in defending was good". Not saying he was terrible, just didn't see 100% effort from a late sub.

And an attacking player not getting the ball once in 25 minutes in the "area" just doesn't jive with having a good game. I think Josh's lack of committed, hard runs was part of the issue. Teammates seeing you trot towards space compared with a hard run makes a difference on if you get that pass.

5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    How can he get the ball in an attacking position if that opportunity simply never occurs? He is not bugs bunny where he can pitch and hit the ball.

I had read the commentary on here, so I was expecting to see moments where he could have been more energetic or engaged. They were just not there. In fact, I would say that he was noticeably trying to bring a spark and be active on both sides of the ball, but there is only but so much that one player, a forward no less, can do to take a match into his own hands. His movement was good -- he was as high as he could go, working laterally, and looking for balls over the top at times -- those runs are about timing, not commitment and hard running. I don't want to take this out on you because I'm sure I'm already seen as kind of a dick for calling people out on stuff like this, but this was not a poor performance or anything close to lazy or lacking effort. The "trot" criticism seems to be a common refrain now from US fans after all of the hate Bradley got, and it's tired.

Just want to set the record straight.... Sargent was moving pretty much constantly in his attacking movement and very active defensively as the 9.

6. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And on this, good sir, we can agree!

jnielsen and don Lamb repped this.
  7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For nearly 2 years now, I haven’t been able to see how this clown of a coach has had a job.

he either teaches no patterns of attack or he is absolutely incompetent as a teacher. Either way, how a first division club anywhere in the world could employ him is beyond me.

the guy is a first class shit for brains. It’s been apparent for ages.

josh would be better off in the championship than playin for this clown show of a club. I wish it for him. Anything to get away from this cesspool of football idiocy.

russ, Pl@ymaker, chad and 1 other person repped this.
  8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my point was/is that the young players need to initially go to an overseas club with a reputation for successfully developing young players.

jnielsen and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    send them all to Dortmund

MtnGardener, jnielsen and HScoach13 repped this.
  10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to think he was a good young coach, but more and more I'm drifting towards this line of thinking. maybe I'm a slow learn or an optimist...but it is a moot point what I think. His coaching chops have not been up to par for quite a while now. Bremen has been painful to watch the past 12 months.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... when a team like Fortuna can present an offensive attack that is more attractive then you know you are in trouble. Bremen is very bad now... but just think of what this train wreck would look like if they didn't have Rashica playing every game? To make matters worse... it looks like Sargent has mailed it in. He essentially gets no service... and it looks like he has lost the desire to will himself to make a difference.

12. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    You gotta hope that this is not the case in that it may be the only chance he gets at this level.

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    you’re no longer a teenager. Time to make good runs, work hard off the ball, and shoot the ball.
    Please go back to the 17 year old who was the best number 9 prospect we’ve had since jozy.

hbd.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end this was one of the worst landing spots in Germany, because they haven't been so inclined to integrate youngsters, and are bottom of the table so means little service + he has to come back to the ball. Basically the opposite style that fits his. He's not a Lukaku type.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the 2 bundesliga will do him and bremen some good.

17. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Going to be tough to stay up. Dusseldorf are an improving squad and just had a big 2-0 win over a good Freiburg squad.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    WB deserve to go down Bc they didn’t fire kohfeldt six weeks ago.

19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah, Bremen is absolutely horrific, and it's been a tough move for Sargent.

Still don't get the hate on this kid. He's not scoring goals for a team that is not scoring goals. It's just a bad situation all around, but I wouldn't read too much into his play. He's still scored more than Jozy did in a top 5 league in like 25% of the games.

Go down to B2, get some confidence (both him and the team), and everything is fine again. Hopefully he takes this as a good learning experience. Good sign that he's still at least getting sub minutes.

mace and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Fortuna's offense looks ahead of Bremen considering the talent tells me that the coach needs to be fired. Bremen is a disgrace right now. The only thing they have going for them is one of the best uniforms in the league. Sargent is visually frustrated out there... looks like his desire has disappeared and I can at least understand why. Bremen's major acquisition over the winter window was another #9... but they needed fast wing-back(s) and a stud midfielder. The formation is stagnant and predictable and the 9's hardly ever get a chance to make a run. It is hard to watch.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Fortuna's offense looks ahead of Bremen considering the talent tells me that the coach needs to be fired. Bremen is a disgrace right now. The only thing they have going for them is one of the best uniforms in the league. Sargent is visually frustrated out there... looks like his desire has disappeared and I can at least understand why. Bremen's major acquisition over the winter window was another #9... but they needed fast wing-back(s) and a stud midfielder. The formation is stagnant and predictable and the 9's hardly ever get a chance to make a run. It is hard to watch.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Slow down with the double posts already.

frankburgers repped this.
  23. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Twitter/pundits have been down on him but I've watched way more Bremen this year than a normal person should and I don't know what Josh is supposed to do. They are a mess...no service from the wings, little interplay between the mid and CF in the middle, just a big green blob of fail. And they've gotten worse since the start of the ruckrunde.

He's 19 and on a garbage team. People need to get a grip.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  24. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Sports director Baumann: "Many have already written us off, that spurs us on, we will make it"

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what are some of the comments twitter has about him?