The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, russ, sakibomb523 and 13 others repped this.
  3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yea. A fair bit of luck on the pop off his back and getting a toe to the ball in front of the defender on the bounce but the kid is on fire. Looking a bit more like the player who bossed the youth levels...

Sup Bro, RossD, adam tash and 2 others repped this.
  4. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to think someone in the EPL will buy him if Norwich dont get promoted right?

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I believe that.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "try to" perhaps. It's not beyond plausible that Norwich see Sarge as a long-term asset to help them get promoted. It's also possible Sarge would buy in to that argument. But he has to already be on some folks lists and the biggest question is likely how much any team might be willing to spend on someone they likely see as cover.

The Irish Rover and RossD repped this.
  7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Norwich would expect a fair price but if an EPL team was willing to pay, it would be considered pretty bad to block such a move. It would hurt the club buying young players.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I of course would leave the Championship for the EPL too if I had the chance. But which is more enjoyable for a 9, scoring goals on a top Championship club or playing all defense and getting zero goals on a really bad EPL team?

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sure, but it will, of course, matter how each party defines a "fair price." Norwich reportedly sold Max Aarons to B'mouth for between 8 - 12 mill LBS (including add-ons). Obviously LB and hot-hand striker are different birds, but I can't imagine that kind of money getting a return phone call from anyone unless it was a dream-club for Josh. Scots' winger Harvey Barnes supposedly went to NUFC from Lester for 44 mill... Adams was reported close to 30 mill, iirc... I'd imagine getting up in that range becomes more difficult to ignore.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Adams and Barnes were only nominally Championship players; they were bought from relegated teams.

Sargent has a bad track record in the Prem, which dings his price a fair bit. Plus, with new FFP rules, £15-20 mil would definitely do it.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dunno that Norwich is much off the defintion of being bought from a relegated team either. I'm hoping Norwich promotes, but if not it will be interesting to see what becomes of Sarge if he keeps scoring

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Doubt any clubs look at Joshs first season in the EPL, at 21, playing as a winger on a poor Norwich City side and ding his current price for it.

That’s way in the rear view mirror.

WrmBrnr, russ and HScoach13 repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember the Jozy discourse.

majspike, Winoman and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Not at all! He was very young and he has grown. Team scouts aren't stupid

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scouts will consider more variables than a "bad track record". They'll also focus on the last 6-9 months. What happened at Norwich has no bearing on him today or his next stop.

Actually, that Josh has experience in the EPL and is familiar with the tempo/defenses would be a positive to EPL clubs.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I know it’s what we do - but I’m just kinda enjoying a breakout season after he looked hopeless of scoring at times. I’m totally clueless about whether he’d be effective at the next level but pretty cool he’s succeeding in a rough and tumble league like this.

Zinkoff, ChicagoVT, majspike and 5 others repped this.
  17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The simple fact that he found the game and no longer just looks like a passenger out there is huge. He is developing.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the top scores from the Championship last season, how many goals per 90 they scored, and where they went after the season:
    Chuba Akpom, 28 goals, 0.81 goals/90, moved to Ajax for €12 mill
    Viktor Gyokeres, 21 goals, 0.47 goals/90, moved to Sporting for €20 mill
    Carlton Morris, 20 goals, 0.53 goals/90, went up with Luton
    Joel Piroe, 19 goals, 0.45 goals/90, moved to Leeds dropping down to C'ship, for €14 mill
    Tom Bradshaw, 17 goals, 0.50 goals/90, stayed at Millwall (he's 31)
    Nathan Tella, 17 goals, 0.61 goals/90, moved to Bayer Leverkusen for €23 mill

Josh has 11 goals so far with 1.08 goals/90.

19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Josh just signed a new contract so its not necessarily a sure thing he’s sold this summer from the contract length perspective. Idk if Norwich will feel the need to sell based on club finances.

He’s probably being considered by every EPL team in the bottom half and the top few championship sides looking to be promoted. Leeds for sure.

Bigger clubs on the continent are also a possibility.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    None of them move to a top club in a top league.

I personally like to see Josh continue with Norwich and grow. Help them get promoted to EPL and thrive there with the club. Maybe one day become a legend at the club like McBride.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? Benfica and Bayer and Ajax don't count?

Zinkoff, eliwood, ChicagoVT and 4 others repped this.
  22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    lmao Leverkusen are about to be win the Bundesliga.

Zinkoff, eliwood and twoolley repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m just looking for Sargent to eclipse and surpass Teemu Puuki’s status and goal scoring record for Norwich in the Championship. Sargent is certainly capable and more versatile than Puuki. I’d love to see Sargent continue to grow at Norwich instead of looking / wishing for a future move. He’s in a great situation. Let him cook.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's in a great spot this season, but if Norwich are promoted they will be a very poor team in a cut-throat league. Josh will see very little of the ball and would be asked to do a great deal. Might be a good experience for him, but I'd rather see a Brighton or Brentford (hard as it is to say that) take him on. Would love to see him at Fulham, but we are too cheap to buy him.