The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I'd prefer he not try to compete with Isak

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. In the Netherlands you can sign a contract as a 16 year old, but only with the consent of the parents. Donot know if this is also the case in other European countries, but our legal systems are much alike.

3. No, that's either non binding, because of being illegal or fraud by putting in a signature date that is false. If the contract cannot be signed before he's 18, the time of kicking in later is of no importance, as he still signs before being 18.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think the 18 age thing is UEFA. So Netherlands rule as a country may not mean anything.

5. That's what they thought about the Bosman rules too, untill it got challenged in court. The 18 years rule has been challenged by a Columbian kid in Spain in court and he has won.
    If I'm correct it also has been part of the anti child trafficking rulings of the EU. So it is interesting how this develops.

So in soccer the limit for non-residential kids is 18 years, but for residential kids it is 16.
    Feyenoord just had a contract signed with a very promising young kid as the last in a row of 16 year olds.

"Lutsharel Geertruida heeft zojuist zijn handtekening onder zijn eerste contract bij Feyenoord gezet. Dit weet FR12.nl te melden. De jonge verdediger is bezig aan zijn tweede seizoen als B-junior en speelt volgend seizoen bij Feyenoord O19. De 16-jarige Geertruida stond ook in de belangstelling van PSV, maar koos dus voor een contract in Rotterdam.

Geertruida is niet de eerste B-junior die dit seizoen zijn eerste profcontract tekende. Eerder zetten ook Cheick Toure, Orkun Kokcu, Achraf El Bouchataoui en Wouter Burger hun handtekening onder hun eerste contact bij de kampioen van Nederland
    ."

English:
    "Lutsharel Geertruida has just put his signature under his first contract at Feyenoord. This is what FR12.nl reports. The young defender is active in his second season as B junior and will play next season at Feyenoord O19. The 16-year-old Geertruida also attracted the interest of PSV, but chose a contract in Rotterdam.

Geertruida is not the first B junior to sign his first professional contract this season. Previously, Cheick Toure, Orkun Kokcu, Achraf El Bouchataoui and Wouter Burger also signed their signature during their first contact with the Dutch champion."

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    interesting. And this/these kids don't have a Euro passport?

7. Of course they do have one. I only pointed to the difference in treatment of foreign kids and Dutch kids. Dutch kids have the right to sign a contract when 16 if with parents consent.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    but that just confuses this discussion.The subject is whether a foreign kid without a passport can sign when under 18.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Questionable rankings. It doesn't have Carleton. Both Sargent and Carleton could be on that list, but its quite clear that Carleton is the better player. If you want to put a credible list together, you gotta have him on that list, and as the best American player. And I find it quite funny that the list has another Brazilian player ahead of Vinicius Jr. The guy just got sold to Real Madrid for 55M, and is being dubbed the New Neymar. Vinicius was by far the best Brazilian player at the Nike Friendlies. Obviously not easy putting that together though. I'm sure the author probably hasn't even seen the majority of those players play.

bballshawn repped this.
  10. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's born in 2001.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You're right, I miss read the title. I thought it meant players born 2000 and after, not just in 2000. My mistake.

13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Odd that they have two England U-17s, but no Jadon Sancho. I couldn't say whether those players are better or not, though.

14. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily disagreeing that he is, but how is it "quite clear" that Carleton is better than Sargeant. Sargent is succeeding at a higher level than Carleton has ever played more than 12 minutes at.

15. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the author doesn't have another player "ahead of" Vinicius. It is in alphabetical order, as it says in the article.

frankburgers repped this.
  16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Carleton is definitely better. And Torres is not better than Carleton by a mile.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The list is in Alphabetical order.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #119 ussoccer97531, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Okay, thanks, didn't see the alphabetical order. Seems weird to have numbers, but then put it in alphabetical order.

I've watched the '00 age group what must be about 20 times as U-17 NT, and then I've watched some of these players play for their club teams, and for other YNT age groups. From what I've seen, its quite clear. I've been leading the Sargent bandwagon since the beginning (documented here https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/pb...-usa-vs-senegal.2053245/page-22#post-35484078) when he was like a fringe starter in his age group, but I think its really being unfair to him to compare him or any of those players to a player who's domination for the US U17's from game 1 is unparalleled in recent cycles, including that Pulisic guy who turned out pretty good. I think its disrespectful to Carleton more than anything. But I get it, people start tuning in at different times, so they might be going off of different information.

19. I get your confusion.
    It started with the question if JS can sign a contract before being 18.
    Having an EU passport doesnot make a difference in soccer contracts you sign abroad.
    You cannot. Trying to dodge that by signing a contract at 16 to let it go in effect at 18 isnot going to make a difference as I already stated. You still signed it at 16, thus making it non binding.
    In the Dutch legal system a kid of 16 can sign a legal binding contract with consent of the parents. As our legal systems in the EU are much alike, I would expect it to be the same in other EU countries, but I'm not sure about that.
    A foreign kid can do he same as a Dutch kid, but with the restriction he has to travel less than 100km when the club is at the other side of a border. This is the FIFA restriction and applies only to soccer contracts.

This rule, however, restricts the legal rights of someone being the resident of a country, whether being a native or not. The kid in Spain I mentioned challenged that rule in court and won the case.
    Hope it is clear now.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Meet Josh Sargent, U.S. Soccer's next great hope

2017-u17mnt-sargent_joshua.jpg

Winoman and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    is it though?

22. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Right smh

23. superdave

superdave Member+