The Red Baron: Josh Sargent at Norwich City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    "Not a terrible footballer"....this thread is unreal!! haha

2. Lance90

Lance90 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This and the Scally thread have to be the worst on BS with all the mindless career projection and speculation

Sargent has been at Norwich what … a month? And he hasn’t become Lewandowski yet? I’m shocked.

Namdynamo and superdave repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Why do you think he's a terrible footballer?

largegarlic, taylor and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Hell, at Josh current age....Lewandowski shockingly wasn't anywhere near the level of being the best striker in the world (hahahahaha!) and it would be taken the world's most incredible soothsayer to have any idea what was to come.

At Josh's age- Lewy was playing in 1st division Poland for god sakes.

He was sold to Dortmund in 2010 at a LATER AGE than Josh was just sold to Norwich- and inflation-adjusted at a lower amount of money! Dortmund
    was a mid-table BL side for many years....but then.....

Lewy landed with the perfect club at the perfect time- Jurgen Klopp's 3rd year in charge- with tons of young talent and he transformed Dortmund and German soccer with his heavy metal soccer tactics.

Dortmund won the league and Lewy played significant minutes but only scored 8 goals during his age 22 season.

It was only after he turned 23 did Lewy really start establishing himself
    as one of the top Bundesliga strikers.

Of course, Dortmund was one of the highest scoring sides in the league as well, so they generated a lot of chances. But taking nothing away from Lewy- it took a big leap at 23 and never looked back.

BTW, he also benefited from 2 real fortunate circumstances. He would have landed in Blackburn in 2010 if not for a once-in-a-lifetime volcanic ash cloud, and in 2011, the lead striker at Dortmund got a major injury early in the season, so opened the door much earlier than expected for him.

Where would Lewy be the greatest striker in the world if these 2 fortunate things had not happened? Hard to say. In all likelihood he would still be a very good...if not great striker, but the best in the world? Who knows? Luck does play a role.

If you are curious about his international career- Josh has him beat so far.

Lewy had 'only' scored ' 6 goals in 22 games for Poland up until he was 25 years old (and some may have been penalties). By comparison, Josh beats Lewy with 5 goals in 19 games (including one with torn hammy) by 21.5 years

For any the inevitable naysayers- no I am not saying Josh will become Lewandowski. What I am saying you have no freakin' clue at this time, how good Josh Sargent will become, and it is actually pretty ignorant to even try to guess- based on all historical evidence.

But this is all stats and evidence and such gobblygook. Let's get back to the baseless speculations based on no evidence, and the eyeball tests from a bunch of folks who never got anywhere near a sniff of a professional soccer set-up
    ================================================

In June 2008, Lech Poznań signed Lewandowski from Znicz for 1.5 million PLN.[11][14] Earlier that month, Lewandowski's agent Cezary Kucharski offered him to his former team Sporting Gijón, which had been promoted to the La Liga, Spain's first division, after ten years in the Segunda División. However, Gijón rejected him.[15]

He debuted for Lech on 17 July 2008 as a substitute in the first qualifying first leg match of the UEFA Cup versus Khazar Lankaran from Azerbaijan, in which he scored the only goal of the evening in the 75th minute at the Tofiq Bahramov Republican Stadium. During his Ekstraklasa debut in the first game of the season, in a match against GKS Bełchatów, he scored a heel flick goal just four minutes after coming into the game late second half. In his first season in the Polish top division, he was second in the goal-scoring charts. Lewandowski finished the season with 18 goals in 42 matches.[16] He also scored in a 1–1 away draw against Wisła Kraków in the 2009 Polish Super Cup on 27 July, and converted his attempt in the won penalty shoot-out. The next season, he became the top scorer with 18 goals and helped his team win the 2009–10 championship.[16]

English coach, Sam Allardyce, said that Lewandowski was about to join Premier League club Blackburn Rovers in 2010, but the volcanic ash clouds caused by the 2010 eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull which suspended all flights in and out of the UK, in addition to other financial worries, prevented the potential transfer.[17] Moreover, Lewandowski was also about to join Italian club Genoa, before president Enrico Preziosi decided to cancel the transfer.[18]

Borussia Dortmund
    2010–2012: Debut season, league and cup double
    Following press speculation that Lewandowski might move to one of a number of clubs,[19][20] he joined Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund in June 2010, signing a four-year contract with the German club[21] for a fee reported to be worth around 4.5 million.[22] On 19 September, he scored his first goal in the Bundesliga to make it 3–0 in the Revierderby against Schalke 04; the game ended 3–1.[23]

In the 2011–12 Bundesliga campaign, Lewandowski profited from an injury to Lucas Barrios and he was elevated to an ever-present position in the starting XI until the winter break. The striker responded by finding the net two times in Dortmund's 3–0 DFB-Pokal first round victory over Sandhausen.[24]

Namdynamo, Pegasus, ChicagoVT and 2 others repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah Sargent is on Lewa track.

butters59 repped this.
  6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol, Jebus.

Are you related to Spector's Mom?

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Sargent should be well ahead of a 21 year old Mcbride. But the comparison between the two does nothing too really gauge Sargent as a player either way. Anyway, I just want to see Sargent get some startsin the premier league before I continue to judge him. Most of us are just basing our opinions on him off haphazard national team play.

8. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We all want him to do well, but there are some of us that seriously should have received hazard pay for watching Sargent play 20-50 games at Bremen.

Some of us literally watched him regress/not progress over two years. Some of us even took gifs and posted it here to make the point.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    You made gifs!?!

OK, that's it. Shut this thread down. Point has been made. I was arguing an epl team making him the highest transfer striker in USA history meant something, but that was before I knew about these gifs.

Case closed.

Namdynamo and taylor repped this.
  10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Adjusted for inflation, Altidore's $11 million would be like 5 trillion today. I also consider Weah to be a better striker than Sargent at this point and he went to Lille for more. Ricardo Pepi will soon.

taylor and dougtee repped this.
  11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Have to disagree that he regressed. Progressed less than I would have liked, and lost some of the confidence he came in with, but he has better skills, is better physically, and better tactically than when he arrived at Bremen's sinking ship. There's a decent argument that he was their most important offensive player last year, and he certainly didn't start out that way there.

The fear is that the Norwich situation has some of the similar qualities - attacker on a team that may struggle to stay up and generate opportunities.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm terrified what the debate will look like after Josh actually sees some EPL minutes... like 500 posts/1 million words an hour or something!

taylor repped this.
  13. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why? no one else does.

we had apples to apples with hoppe last year and sarge guys discount that constantly. the only advantage sarge has is a completely unearned reputation and a fatter paycheck.

dont get me wrong, im sure thats awesome for him. but that- like most things sarge-related- isnt based on actual soccer success.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    And a lot of games in BL1. The sample size isnt that small.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Davies and Gooch are also very critical of Sargent.

taylor repped this.
  16. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    This above is the right answer. Great, sensible and educated post.

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dude, NSFW.
    I spit my beer out in laughter.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bruh - you are the ultimate quantum poster - both wave and particle...

I'm dizzy.

taylor repped this.
  19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Multiverse. Btw, are there aliens that dip into our dimension? :))) Tyson disappointed me heavily.

How off topic are we and how much do we love our mods ;)

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I love the work you put in here assembling everything.

taylor repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how you are his main fan and you are also the only poster here who admittedly never watches any Sargent games.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But I watch highlights :thumbsup:

The Irish Rover and taylor repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Cut and paste wikipedia?

Ok.

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Actually I've posted many links from many different sources here.
    I substantiate my opinions.

Someone has got to post some nutritional value for a change and elevate
    the discussion beyond 'Well, I saw Josh play and here's what I think'
    (with no additional context provided) or 'he doesn't score enough goals'.

I make the extra effort, because one can't judge players in a vacuum and
    there has also been so many poor, inaccurate and illogical posts here. I post
    a lot of information because there has been a ton of bad posting to correct.

But if it really bothers you, you are welcome to put me on ignore or skip my posting. Then maybe we are both happy?

Here's hoping Josh is healthy again for Watford. Would seem a great opportunity for Norwich to start to turn their season around and Josh to get some quality minutes and hopefully some quality goal scoring opportunities.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh better do something soon because he has no notable accomplishments to date. And he will be 22 soon.