News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    - Pjanic is 30 and would cost too much. Decent player, but we need to stick with young players and avoid overpaid, ageing stars.

- Ramsey is 29 and hasnt stayed healthy for the past few years. Pass.

- Havertz is a stud, but he isnt a Pogba replacement. Hes more of a 10. Not sure how we would lineup with him and Bruno on the pitch. Good player, but not what we need IMO.

- Partey would be excellent as previously mentioned.

- Maddison is overpriced for his skill level. Similar to Havertz in that hes more of a 10 and would occupy the same space as Bruno. Pass.

Amdrag and Ofori repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Out of these choices I'm biased towards Partey given that I'm Ghanaian too but at the same time I know if Partey came to this club of Manchester United, he could become a bigger star than what he already is

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Ramsey? Pjanić?

i truly hope that wasn't meant to be a troll post

Amdrag repped this.
  4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    They were discussed actually as replacements for Pogba online in articles I read so no trolling on that

5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Completely agree.

Sancho to sort us out at RW and Partey at DM. No need to spend huge for Grealish under the present circumstances but if we can get him for 35-40m to round out the squad (get rid of the twin cancers, Sanchez and Lingard) that’s fine. If we can pull it off a top CB as well but that may not be in the cards going into next season.

Ofori repped this.
  6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I keep wondering about Havertz as a slightly awkward alternative to Sancho at RW, given how much he plays that role for Leverkusen. He's played at 6 but as a bit of a last resort - he's too effective in the final third, I can't see him doing a Kroos and dropping back long term. It's more likely he'll be somewhere in that zone, between 10 and 7 facing inward on his left foot.

To be honest I can't see Bayern buying him either. I don't know when his contract runs till but I expect Bayern to try and get him on the cheap - I don't know if Havertz has explicitly said he wants to move there but it's going to leave him open to other moves for a good couple of windows.

Ofori repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Which is why Havertz is such a good fit for Manchester United

8. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Sancho and Partey here at Manchester United...for me I would not mind these moves at all especially Partey but consider me biased because of the Ghanaian connection

9. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #209 Naboomagnoli, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    I'm not sure Havertz is necessarily a good fit. I think it'd be a bit awkward if anything, AWB doesn't yet provide the width to compensate and I worry he'd tread on Bruno's toes, as Alexis stifled Pogba. I just want it to work if Sancho doesn't fancy us. But if Sancho doesn't want to come then why would Havertz?

Right now if Sancho stayed for one more season and we were set on him, I'd be inclined to see if West Brom can't afford the obligation to buy Matheus Pereira. We could still sign Sancho the season after and have Matheus as our second choice RW/AM until youth comes through, moving James back to LW. It makes much more sense than Grealish for £40m more.

Ofori repped this.
  10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah it does you're right but would West Brom go for that deal? They would but Sancho if he does come back home to England to play in the Premier League, then Man U are favorites to sign him but then you have to worry about other clubs like Liverpool who are trying to buy everyone but other clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don't really worry about any other Prem clubs. Liverpool I can't see signing anyone besides Werner, who doesn't suit our needs. None of the others you listed have the money for Sancho, especially with Covid having impacted finances so drastically.

If anything we should be more worried about their attention turning to potential academy talent. Mid-level talent may move around on loans with obligations to buy, but the structure for top level signings probably won't budge too much.

Ofori repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still very confident about Sancho coming to United this summer. The current situation is what it is. But Sancho has 2yrs left on his current contract and he's not likely to sign a new deal with Dortmund. As such, not sure I see them willing to leave a huge sum on the table, when they have to sell Sancho at a cut rate in a year's time.
    They're current rhetoric and stance is understandable, but unless the situation changes (and Sancho is ready to sign a new contract with them), it's hard to imagine Sancho not leaving this summer. It's par for the course with them, when it comes to selling one of their big assets, but their objective still remains to get max value for those type of players.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    If he has 2 years at least left on his contract...then how can you be expected to sign him? Unless you guys offer a swap with Dortmund and swap one of your players for Sancho or you guys do a buy out deal with Dortmund

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although they have been loose for the most part, it's been kind of interesting that the rumors of United going for a CB have pretty much been constant in recent weeks. LGDS in Italy are the latest publication to make the claim that United are reportedly in for Koulibaly.
    Whether it's Koulibaly, Upamecano or Konate, all of whom have been linked with United at one moment or another in recent weeks, I can understand the interest (as they would all be the right type of partners to Maguire). Really, really like all 3 players also but the fact still remains that CB is not a priority this summer so much as a RW or a holding mid. Going a little further, a CB is at best #4 down the list for me after RW/RWF, DCM and a CF (if Ighalo does not stay).
    Besides, I still want to give the likes of Bailly and Tuanzebe a genuine chance to prove themselves to the club this coming season. And I understand that with their injury history, it could be a risk (especially if Smalling, Jones and Rojo are let go as expected). But I'd be willing to go into the season with a quartet of Maguire, Lindelöf, Bailly and Tuanzebe and see what happens.
    The club looks ready to spend money in the summer but we know we don't have a bottomless well of cash either and even in this climate, and there is no telling how much Napoli will ask for Koulibaly. Won't be a bargain, that much is all but certain. In the end though, my hope is that this continuous CB talk is nothing but paper talk. Whatever resources we have need to be focused on the aforementioned positions. The need for a CB can be re-examined in a year's time, should it prove necessary.

Ofori repped this.
  15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    If Man U is smart they would go after Koulibaly

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Bellingham will end up with Manchester United

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The need for a striker has definitely gathered some momentum with the news that Ighalo appears to be on his way out (having been recalled by Shanghai).
    A shame about Ighalo, if the news is confirmed. Was perfect for the role required of him and he fit right in.

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    How about Mertens

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #220 Ashur, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    As other outlets have mentioned, United definitely do not appear to be overly worried about the Ighalo situation. That would appear to indicate they already have a contingency plan in place (or are close to it) in regards to the CF spot for next season. We've heard all the rumors and links (Werner, Dembele, King just to name those). Very curious as to who we will end up with.
    Would be all for getting one of the top options available such as Werner, Dembele or even Jimenez. The key though, as far as I'm concerned, is that it does not interfere (financially) with our pursuit of Sancho. Would still be very surprised if we were to shell out a 50-60mil sum, if we manage to secure Sancho but we'll see.
    From that perspective King would make sense: probably can be had for a decent price (20-25mil tops?). And for the role he'd be expected for (mainly backup to both Martial and Rashford), he would be a solid fit for and, like Ighalo, one he would probably accept easier than the other players we've been linked to.

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Partey to United please

22. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Werner, Dembele and King are a completely random shortlist. Absolutely no plan there whatsoever - do we get the left winger, the sub-Lacazette or the second striker with 6 G+A in 19 games?

Hopefully we have a better grasp on what we actually want to do as a plan B than this.

23. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Werner would fit right in at United

24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Werner plays the same game as Rashford as a wide forward, even when he's 'central'. We already have two of him. We're meant to be trying to sign a striker.

benni... and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    sorry, where is this list from?