News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #376 johno, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Yup, that's fair. Plenty of fish in the sea with regards to talented young DMs. Not a lot of established talent with the right profile, but if we are gonna hang on to Matic and Fred/McTominay then we don't "need" someone to be the finished article right now. Someone who will grow into the role will actually help out as Pogba and Bruno are older, no point buying a 27yo player who is near the finished product and risk having to replace 3 starting CMs in 3 years time.

EDIT:

If we can move Smalling and Alexis (which seems likely at this stage) we'll have done a really good job clearing wages that need to be cleared. HOWEVER, we still have a long road to go.

AP/Jesse (we can keep 1)
    Rojo
    Jones
    Fosu Mensah

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you would have asked me 3 years ago, I would've sworn one of Tuanzebe or TFM would be logging meaningful minutes in the squad and getting closer to being a mainstay. Now I'm not sure either have a career here.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why Sánchez? he can just Özil us and say he's not leaving and see out the deal.

who else is going to give him that wage? China? if he even cares to go? PSG can't be that dumb... right?

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Same. Basically I think TFM is done specifically because of the injuries/time lost to development and the fact that we never specialized with him. We saw him as flexible and he hasn't developed enough in any one area to warrant a place. I'd not have him on the pitch before Mengi at CB, nor would I have him on the pitch before LAIRD at RB. Midfield is out of the question entirely. He's been surpassed completely.

I have more hope for Tuanzebe because he has specialized. I also happen to think he's the most well-rounded CB we have. He's a little shy of Maguire's level of long passing, but he's his equal over short distances. He's got good technique, he's physically strong and he's got pace to burn. If we could actually move Jones, Rojo and Smalling, I'd be happy to keep him around to see if we can give him a run at some point.

Inter is rumoured to be intersted in making the deal permanent for 18-20M.

I think he's not Ozil. Alexis wants to be playing. He knows he wont play at all for United if he sits it out. I don't think it is in his nature to sit out. I think he'll take a paycut.

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I live in hope.

benni... repped this.
  5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Id sell Sanchez for nothing just to get out from under his contract.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My response when I saw the first tweet about 20M offer on the table was "Bite their ********ing hands off"

SyedZada, Amdrag, Red Jeph and 2 others repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think we would too. For all our posturing about how him returning would help our squad, we want to forget he ever happened and I think we'd sell him for peanuts if he'd accept a deal to leave.

johno repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting 20mil for Sanchez would be an absolute gift from Inter. 'Goal' is the original source so my excitement is tempered but conversely, it's not hard to see how it would make sense. Sanchez is done at United: we don't want him, nor have room for him either (as a starter at least). He's done with us too, apparently being pretty desperate to stay in Milan.
    Will surely lose out on serious money but he'll still pull a nice wage in all likelihood. And if he wants to play, then it's a sacrifice he'll gladly make. More than his presence, just will be glad when we'll get rid of that salary. That could open up some serious possibilities, in terms of us retooling. Probably also in terms of offering Pogs a phat new deal also.
    Really hoping it happens, so everyone is happy and we can put the stench of that deal behind us. At last.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well they've helped us out about three times now so yes let's hope.

i don't know why Beppe Marotta has decided to be our benefactor but i'm not complaining. the team and style are very different from 18 months ago so i don't think he'd fit in even if we wanted to keep him.

ideally for me next season we see Sancho 7 and Greenwood 11. that's the hope that i hold.

well that and Partey. 2 in and as many deadwood players out as possible

10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I still have hope for Tuanzebe.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Its time to move on, we have been hoping for last 4yrs..

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So I have a crazy idea...
    We need to add depth and quality. Obviously Sancho is target #1 but he's going to be expensive and we have other needs as well. There are bargains to be had!

What if we moved who we could move and used the funds to buy a pair of players who would be a good fit, if not necessarily take us over the top by themselves.

CB: Nathan Ake. If they go down he's a good shout imo. He's quick, good technique and passing, strong in the air. Not the exact profile we need, but if we got rid of Rojo, Jones and Smalling leaving only Tuanzebe and Bailly as 3 and 4th options, I'd be happy for Ake to challenge for that 2nd CB spot.

Another option is to just let Tuanzebe play.

CF:

Pukki! He's not a plan B at all in the way Ighalo can offer excellent hold up play, but if we had a long-term injury and needed coverage, he does the types of things we want from a foward. He's not super athletic, but he'd be cheap and on low wages for a striker. He's also sure to be relegated and I think with chances we'd create, he'd be a lock for double figure scoring in a reserve role.

CM:

Ettienne Capoue would be cheap given his age and he may also be relegated. If we decide to let Matic go, we could save on wages and use Capoue as depth.

If it turns out that Sancho is not an option, we should throw all our money at Atleti for Saul and persist with what we've got on the wings.

13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

SyedZada repped this.
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    as much as i distrust the twitter source please please please let it be true

johno and SyedZada repped this.
  15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Adding my 3 please with rvn10. That backup 10 could and should go to an academy product.

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Our DoF has a busy summer ahead.

Good loans for

Laird
    Garner
    The other MF kid
    Dean

Sell
    Alexis
    AP
    Mata
    Jones
    Rojo
    Smalling

Buy
    Sancho
    Elite or some to be Elite DM
    Experienced CD

I dont trust Ed with any of this because again he is the guy that dragged the Bruno deal in January and got stripped naked on Macguire.

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Other than his left foot, is Ake really the guy to help Maguire? He does have speed and a decent reader.

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would take Ake in a heartbeat. He wouldn't cost a fortune and is on the same level as Lindelof but with features better suited to pair with Maguire.

If we're dropping major cash on Sancho and maybe Grealish, then Ake is a cheap way to get our CB this summer as well.

20. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...united-options-says-ssn-reporter-james-cooper

I'm definitely not against Grealish personally. However, it's almost a given that he will not go cheap. And unless he has some type of pre existing clause that states he can be sold for x amount in the event Villa goes down, United are probably looking at 50-60mil minimum to get him.
    If we go for van de Beek instead, we're probably going to pay 40-45mil for him, which therefore would leave us with some cash left that could go for a CB. Depending on how we have to spend (and if we can raise a little more cash from sales), we could go for Ake, who will be cheap if B'mouth end up relegated. If we want to swing for the fences, then we could even go for Dayot or someone the like. Upamecano's contract does expire in a year and surely, he wouldn't be that expensive.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cooper said we should play Greenwood as a 10 behind our front 3 which shows a complete lack of understanding of the player. Hes talking out of his ass.

CybrSlydr and SyedZada repped this.
  23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best role is CR7 role, free to attack.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    To me his closest parallel is RvP.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Role, not player. I dont think RVP started playing 9 early in his career.

Deadtigers repped this.