News: The rebuild goes on... - The summer 2020 transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Joe Rodon is perfect

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-6-20_15-9-54.png
    By many accounts, this reporter is said to be very credible in Germany: make of that what you will.
    With Dortmund obviously looking to play hardball, it will be interesting to see how much Sancho tries to push for a move once the season is over. That is what Dembele had to do prior to his move to Barca and it won't be surprising that Sancho has to do something along those lines as well. Would expect him to submit a transfer request not too long after the Buli season concludes for starters..
    Way too many stories have popped up this season about issues between Sancho and the coach or the team in general: just very obvious he wants to leave at this juncture.
    Conversely though, this is just further proof that this deal is United's to lose or mess up. Knowing about both parties tend to work/act when it comes to transfers, this surely will not be easy or short unfortunately: it's not like we can expect a quick deal within a couple of weeks of the window opening (whenever that will be).

3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    May as well sign him

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not may as well. it is a must

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then really what is Man U waiting for

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Buli season is not over, nor the window officially opened. Werner was an exception since he had a special clause in his contract that would have changed his price and thus allowed Chelsea to make their move.
    United can't move on Sancho now, not until the summer transfer window officially opens presumably once the domestic seasons end. But United have been clear in their desire to get Sancho, just as it's looking more and more likely that Sancho feels the same way as well...

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    A player who would be a really good fit, a really good asset to this squad:

Canadian international...Jonathan David...of Gent and it has been said that United have shown interest in this kid

8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big fan. Don't think he's a fit for United though.

Really hoping Canada can put together a solid team for this 2026 WC and make some noise.

9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I hope so too but yeah it is true United have made offers to him

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how credible that report from RMC Sport (original source) really is, but would certainly rather see us go for him over Torres or Rodon. From what little I've seen of this kid, he most definitely looks like the real deal and the type of player we should be pursuing (discount Upmecano/Konate with the same potential in all likelihood)

The conveyor belt of up and coming/uber talented French CBs is simply ridiculous right now.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We've got a tricky run in ahead given the number of games and the limited rest with no preseason. That obviously has no bearing on the transfer targets we will seek directly, but it does indirectly. With everyone fit and 5 subs, we hopefully will be giving loads of time to kids or squaddies in rotation and for resting purposes.

Strong performances from them may have an impact on who we target.

The front 5 picks itself, but performances of Matic, Fred, McTominay will determine who we pursue for the midfield. My guess is that we'll be in for a RW/Sancho anyway. I also think we will target CB2 before the extra CM spot because we have promising kids at CM.

The asterisk on all of this is if the club and Pogba have come to an agreement that he will be sold next year. If that's the case then CM is priority #1 which would somewhat explain the persistent rumours surrounding VdB, Grealish and other players it doesn't make sense to pursuit whilst Pogba and Bruno are at the club.

Unless there are concerns that I'm unaware of, the prevailing wisdom has to be RW, CB, DLP in that order. I'd been hopeful that Tuanzebe would get a run in this end of season period but he's injured again. Apparently he can only be fit when he's on loan. He's going to be a premier league quality defender for someone, but maybe not us.

12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    RW, CAM/CM, CB2 for me. We already know we can deal with no Pogba better than no Bruno, and Garner and Levitt both cover the 6 & 8 roles.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The more mistakes I see from Maguire, the more I think we really need a CB2. Specifically, a CB 2 that has above average speed and can recover/cover for Maguire when he gets caught out. Maguire is great with the ball but when he gets isolated or steps up and gets caught, were usually left wide open.

johno repped this.
  14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    CB2 would be less necessary if Bailly could stay fit. He's the type of CB we need. At the risk of sounding cliche, a scorched earth, tackle everything moving, blinding pace CB. Only thing Bailly doesn't have is excellent passing, but he's not bad.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  15. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #340 Naboomagnoli, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    I get that, and I don't disagree that a shrewd CB2 signing would be a nice pickup btw, especially if we're binning off all three of Rojo, Jones and Smalling. But we've just conceded 3 in 13 matches, with 10 clean sheets. And one of those was the Calvert-Lewin block on De Gea, the other was route one for Club Brugge as Maguire was coming back from a set piece, nothing to do with him.

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  17. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The CB isn't just to cover Maguire's weaknesses, it is to complete the team. Maguire is a decent passer, an elite passer next to him with good technique, makes a huge difference in breaking a press. A CB good on the ball is essential these days but more so with FBs who are mediocre technically.

Page out of SAF's book.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm fine with admitting I've fully given up on Bailly. I would be happy to keep him around and be proven wrong, but I need to see him for and contributing for a full season before I'll get my hopes up again. Otherwise, yes I agree he's exactly the type of partner Maguire needs.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...will-not-pay-more-than-50m-for-england-winger

If there were any doubts that this will be an easy, straightforward and especially quick - :ROFLMAO: - negotiation, supposed claims such as these will put them to bed...
    Plenty of moves and countermoves coming up. And while this is clearly BS from United, this would appear to be their answer to Dortmund's claim that they want full freight for Sancho.
    Don't know exactly when the window will begin and end but fully expect this (as is the custom with us anyway) to be a lengthy and dragged out process that will go deep into the coming summer window.
    The only thing that would prevent that is another club stepping up to the plate, making tangible offers for Sancho. In any regard, this is just beginning...

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    It seems clubs interested in Sancho right now as it stands:

Manchester United
    Manchester City
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I never really got my hopes up.

So Grealish it is, lmao

JC7rox, Futbol_Head and Anonymous_United repped this.
  23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Someone at Sky Sports just had their career ended for them.

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We will end up paying £70million for Grealish ..

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Grealish for 70 is suicide. just add 20 or 30 and go for Sancho. i don't care how they twist it with payments, incentives, whatever.

don't make the colossal Maguire ******** up twice. hard no to Maddison at that price as well

Anonymous_United repped this.