The Rebrand (keep your naming ideas to yourself please)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Moufwash, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harley Davidson didn't wanna pay for Canadian rights as well.

2. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does this strike you as a well oiled machine handling PR as amazingly as they always do and making a nation wide announcement? Or OnGoal flying by the seat of their pants and making shit up as they go along so they can tell mere dozens of people who are stupid enough to leave work early what they already know?

Unfair maybe, but hell - I'm angry enough not to give a ********.

3. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Without predisposed knowledge/background for those answers... I suppose one will have a much better picture once OG lays it all on the table.

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is being done during MLS Cup week and the revealing of a name will likely carry over into the weekend festivities. I am sure it will get a mention during the game, gear shown at the events, etc. I would much rather it get presented here than learning about it on TV at an event hundreds of miles away.

OnGoal is doing the right thing by hosting a public event in the city that fans can attend. Obviously, a lot of use disagree with the name but if you are gonig to go through with a rebrand, part of the point of it is the marketing opportunity it presents. In fact, i posted a while back that I thought OnGoal should hold an event at P&L to unveil.

I am really eager for Wednesday to see how this turns out and how people react. As much as I hate the name, I am not going to boo. However, I will be sending a strongly worded e-mail to OnGoal execs and my feelings about the name and I hope others do too. It is important to let them know how we feel (both postive and negative). However, I dont want a public event promoting the team damaged with their most loyal fans booing them; I dont think anything good can come of that. But, if that is what people want to do, I support their right to do so.

5. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I am eager to her Rob and whoever else speak about this on Wednesday. I want to hear what they have to say and the reason behind the change although it is likely going to be scripted PR/Marketing talk. I just hope it isnt cliche. A Q&A would be nice but I am not holding my breath.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be doing both.

As James said I'm angry enough about this to not give a ********.

7. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Understandable.

If the new crest is shitty too, that might push me over the edge. Throw in some alcohol and I might do more than boo! :D

8. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bad Strip -- Booo
    Bad Logo -- Booo
    Bad Name -- Booo
    Bad Sponsor -- Booo
    Omar Bravo -- Festering Silence?
    Omar Bravo -- In the new Bad Strip with the ugly new logo, the horrible sponser and the awful name. Festering Silence? ******** no.
    Free/cheap Bear? -- YAY, drown my sorrows.

9. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On top of the $4 beers from the US watch party, if they give out some free beers, I may end up buying any or all merchandise they have for the launch. Someone better keep an eye on me.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, if the rumors of Bravo being there are true I doubt I'll be silent when he comes out in the new uniform

11. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what else will be announced or if they will have the new jersey available at all?

Jersey sponsor? Stadium sponsor? Stadium and field sponsor? Another DP?

Honestly, spreading out major announcements is the best decision as every time you announce something, it gives a new exposure to the community. This team needs as much exposure in the offseason as possible to keep reminding people of the new stadium. But, if they know this name isnt popular, they might ad something that is to aid the blow.

12. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I ask guys is to please not boo Bravo. He doesn't deserve it one bit. And if he was having any doubts of coming here, its not going to help if we jeer at him. Thats incredibly classless. I don't care if you think he's OnGoal's crony, I WANT him playing for us next season. Yes I know a lot of you believe he's being brought in as an attempt to lessen the sting, but he still doesn't deserve a shitty welcome to KC.

And Honestly, I can totally deal with a new jersey. A new name is different, but jersey is fine. Jerseys change all the time.

13. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is they'll announce the new name, but make a special point to say "We are still the Wizards". I'm sure this will be sincere from OnGoal, but it's up to the individual to accept it as such.

14. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this ^^^

15. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    It's a stupid deal that it's like this.
    Building a brand is one of the hardest things to do in business not just sports. The Wizards have that.

Just gives the Kansas City Media one more reason to question Soccer and all it's "weird" things in this market.

OnGoal will unveil new name along with jersey sponsor. Not Sprint. No Bravo. But you better believe that the freebee's will be flowing. You want swag, come and get it. Everybody will be wearing a Sporting T-Shirt come Thursday Morning or at the Comets game on Friday Night.

If you like the name or not, express your feelings and express them loudly. I will.

16. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    Actually Bravo will be there, there will not be a Jersey, there will be some kind of merchandise. This is what I have been told by people that I trust.

17. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am guessing that if they are rebranding, they will attempt to distance Wizards from the team.

18. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo being there isnt a big deal to me. We already know he is coming so seeing him in the flesh does little for me. He is probably being brought in to aid the blow but the contract is already signed so for me, it means little. Surprise me with another DP of quality and youth and I might accept whatever name you give me.

19. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know where to draw a line between distancing and alienate, but if you're right, they'll be walking that fine line for sure.

20. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look. I don't like this whole situation. but I have to question, what brand? The incredibly poorly developed one? I believe that the team can be built with the Wizards name. But until KC actually notices the team, there isn't much of a brand. But again, I think a brand could be built off the Wizards. It just would be pretty difficult as the Wizards are something that is always there, but not too many people think about them. So OnGoal is taking the easier option, whether thats right or wrong.

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Man I get geeked about meeting the 18 year old 4th round draft picks that never make the squad. Methinks we got a long way to go before we're selling out Arrowhead to welcome Cristiano Ronaldo in advance. :D

22. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Still not losing my shit over Bravo though :) If it was somebody I had heard of before we decided to bring them to the USA maybe but Blanco famous he is not. I won't boo him, but he feels like a 4th choice DP to me.

Shame there wont be a shirt, that was the bit I was excited about.

23. JimK

JimK Member

Mar 9, 2008
    WaldoKC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    When I saw the announcement about Wednesday, I instantly said to my wife "the Wizards are making an announcement . . ." who? The Wizards. I really hope that much of the reaction in this thread is at least a little tongue in cheek. I get all the arguments, the dissapointments, and why "sporting" sentiment - but if this re-brand is so problematic, then don't buy the jerseys, the t-shirts, and all of the other merchandise. Heck, really voice your disgust by not purchasing tickets. Do I like "sporting"? It is not great but I can live with it - what is important is what happens on the pitch. My guess is that a winning product will reduce the anger/dissapointment over the new name.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we could make statements all day on how HSG AND OnGoal have gone a poor job of developing the Wizards brand. If you don't work at it you're not going to develop a strong brand. HSG was extremely poor but it's not like OnGoal has blown them out of the water in that part of ownership (unlike others).

25. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    There will be shirts, just not Jerseys that you can buy if any.