The Rebrand (keep your naming ideas to yourself please)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Moufwash, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking today how funny it would be if the name wasnt changing at all. If the team called a press conference to release the rebranding and it was just a new fancy shield and gear. It's unlikely but still possible that all this was just a ploy to get everyones attention. People that dont even follow the team are hearing about this and commenting on it.

It would be cool if they did the revealing at P&L on a Saturday afternoon and if all STHs were invited. They could do a type of fashion show with all the new gear and have players, fans, and kids show it all off. The weather may not cooperate this time of year but I think that would be cool. But, if it is something we hate, it could turn into the Portland fiasco and the video would show boos from the faithful followers and it would backfire big time.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This incident is the main reason why I don't think we'll see a public release of it, but I could be wrong.

3. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    And, besides purchasing some tickets... what is in your resume makes you qualified in answering or judging that question?

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You dont need to leave the forum. You have to have thicker skin than that to continue to post here though. If you had posted this kind of stuff in other subforums here, the responses would be far worse. I have gotten slammed hardcore for far less. You just were way off in your assessment of the WC Watch parties and what went into them. Then, you made some unreasonable arguments using your wrong info.

You dont attract over ten thousand people to one place to watch a soccer match in Kansas City without effective marketing.

No, people didnt learn about the WC or USMNT through the team. But, the team and others involved in the watch parties did one hell of a job promoting them and getting people down there. I will never forget the Ghana game and the amount of people down there.

5. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Some folks might say you're wrong. They have convinced themselves, and would like to convince everyone else that a company like Harley Davidson would be marketing "TOO much" if they even considered sponsoring our team jersey.

[just couldn't resist] :D

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A few years back a couple DC posters posted about raping my mother. This can be a pretty nasty place at times.

7. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Have they met your mother? ;)

8. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although being publicly accosted by your owner held back by security guards is a moment you will hold onto for the rest of your lives. Don't write it off just yet. :D

9. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having trouble deciding which I will/would hate more a corporate name or Sporting KC.

And this is incredibly stupid and petty if this is the reason. The name has zero to do with poor play. The poor play has to do with stupid decisions by people in the organization, bad luck, and lack of talent.

Like how he stole the logo posted here though.

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's with the eye rolling? I'm not a fan of his either, but he WAS the first one to really post about it being serious (it was then picked up in the 810 interview with Robb).

13. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    No credit or link to beerandsoccer.com - pretty crappy.

The corporate naming stuff sounded like unfounded speculation when Hearnes trotted it out sometime back, this sounds kind of like - "See I was right!" when he probably just pulled that angle out of thin air.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm thinking/hoping since I hadn't heard a word about a corporate sponsor team name other than from his initial post and this one.

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill, Mike. If you want a reason for the eye roll, this explains it pretty well:
    Exactly. I was thinking maybe he overheard the bartender at the local sports bar. :D I think most of us on these boards started speculating about a name change when the first bunch of steel started going up back at the beginning of the year.

16. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Opting instead for an English Premier League-sounding name"

Sporting = EPL'esk?

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He couldn't spend the two minutes to figure out what the name of the Portuguese league was.

18. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if he had any credibility remaining, he's lost it with this.

19. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was the source saying that when the corperate deal fell through, they then decided on Sporting (writer then adds that its a EPL'esk name in ingorance and only mentions the Sporting is a "front runner", why wouldnt you just say it will be Sporting?) or did the source say a more EPL'esk name was decided on and writer just went with the largest rumored name?

This while other "sources" say the name change was because of teams poor preformance?

I believe some of this is accurate, but half of it just makes no sense.

20. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *knock*knock* Grammar police, open up!

The suffix you're looking for is 'esque' ;)

<we now return you to your previously scheduled thread, already in progress>

21. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eugooglizer - one who speaks at funerals....

22. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should we tell ol' Hearnie that "Red Bull New York" isn't actually a corporate sponsorship deal, but that Red Bull actually owns the team (in the MLS sense of ownership, anyway)?

Facts are pesky things. Especially when they're easy to verify.

23. D.B.M.

D.B.M. Member

May 22, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogly is? :D

24. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    keep the name! it's fine and its part of your history and tradition just change your crest

25. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States