The Rebrand (keep your naming ideas to yourself please)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Moufwash, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    delete this thread if you dont like it, will not offend me a bit (not that that should dictate your decisions regardless)

just wanted to post the question of when we would be hearing the results of the apparent effort in rebranding by the team currently know as the Kansas City Wizards.

I didnt follow the MLS very closely when other teams have rebranded, what time of year have the teams announcer their new brand before?

Looks like the Metro to RedBull switch happened in early March, but was that more a result of the sale of the team to RedBull?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do it before the season it'd be sometime in late November or December I would think that they announce it, at the latest at the draft in January.

As a note, I do like the idea of this thread as long as it doesn't turn into a rename the team thread. Just a thread for news of the possible rebranding.

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be December or January at the latest. They would need time for people to order gear for the start of the season in April.

4. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    When did the rebranding become "apparent"? I thought RH simply said that it wasn't ruled out.

If such a mistake were to be made, it would definitely occur (the announcement, not decision) after the season.

5. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All signs are pointing in that direction. Something is going to happen whether it be new everything or simply a new crest.

6. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the effort is apparent, and even if no change is made, there will be a time when we know the name/brand for next season, so their might not be an "announcement" but there will be at least something that will signal this

my question was when we will know the results of all this

7. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess, if the rebrand is coming, and I think it is, it will be announced when ever RH can stand in front of the new stadium (doesn't have to be 'finished') and drop the tarp covering the name of the new home. I cannot guess the month this will be.

But I think this would create the greatest boom/impact as far as media coverage is concerned, and tying everything together.

New stadium + Bravo + rebrand = "second chance to make a first impression"

8. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, I'm so lost. Didn't they do this last month? Maybe someone spiked my water here. :confused:

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dallas Burn was rebranded FC Dallas immediately following the completion of their competition in 2004 - as soon as the regular season was over... The Elias Stats packages came in with FC Dallas as the moniker for the 2004 MLS Cup playoff media guides.

I could see that happening here..

10. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not very smart from a marketing perspective. When you do something like rebrand you have an opportunity to make a spectacle of it. If the Wizards fail to make the playoffs or make an early exit, it is not a good time to make a spectacle of the team. It would be best to do it in the middle of the offseason when the team is not fresh on people's minds to get their focus back on the team. That is specially important with the new stadium coming up.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whenever it is, i'm dreading it. seeing what they've already done to our jerseys, i can only imagine what they'll do to everything else.

12. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    i'm just waiting for the mls to change the font of those god awful numbers and names on the back. UGLY.

do i have to keep my opinion to myself about how i'm still planning to uproot the stadium with my gravity beam and replant it in missouri?

13. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know if you want help. But seriously and on note, I really hate this waiting game. Gaaahhhh.

14. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Why not? It's worked so well in Dallas...meh.
    So far, everything done with uniform and logo has been a mistake or sideways effort...why not continue an unblemished record? Any new name or colors beyond reverting back to the unique Wizards Blue and White would be yet another collosal mistake that would look and stink like exactly what it would be, a naked cash grab.

Old and current gripes aside, I do like the perfectly blue nets.

From the posts this rebranding sounds like rumor. Does anyone have anything more diffinitive?

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all hearsay and rumor right now, publicly at least. Heineman mentioned the possibility of it on 810, but didn't give any definitive answers. The Star has run with it a bit but haven't gotten anything more concrete.

16. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its so happening :) Everything from low Merch availability to the stonewall on this topic when you talk to a Wizards guy. They never stonewall.

17. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to say it sounds like more than that to me. Multiple sources make it seem so, not to mention that our resident journos have all but said they are privvy to something along those lines that they have been asked/told by the club not to reveal.

18. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wish a source would just leak some of the visual concept being developed, if not a glimpse of some merch. Something to digest and pooh-pooh if it sucks, or applaud if it doesn't suck.

19. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Kempin" (German Cousin of GK Kempin) claimed a bit in this regard, but the post has been deleted as I can find it in his posting history, could mean it was false or he got a bit of heat, or it means nothing...

20. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, one of those three. :)

But there is one thing I'm 99% certain of now with the rebranding, and I'm sure this has been brought up in other threads as speculation, but I'm positive that the new colors are those of this year's STH scarves (light blue/dark blue). I conclude this looking at the new pictures of the stadium on FB. It's very clear that two of the connecting trusses are those colors. The changes are going to be written on that stadium before RH makes any big announcment.

21. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    whatever. colors are just different shades of the same thing, a name is just some words, and a logo is a picture. Now if they want to rebrand with 3 new DPs and a world class coach, then that is something to get excited about.

23. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, they might as well just do this now. Everyone just calls us Kansas anyway so let's get this over with once and for all. This way everyone has a month or so to practice the new name.

24. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

i wouldn't buy season tickets to that.

25. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    My two cents: Why would a team that just beat MANCHSESTER F*C*ing UNITED want to change their name? I'd tell your owners that the Kansas City WIZARDS just got a boost to their brand that money can't buy.

Stick with the name, stick with the colors, they're both great. The logo is due for a change (though it has appropriately been shaped like home plate for these past two years) so change that if you must, but nothing else.

I'm an original Wizards fan who, though I switched to the Fire when they came into Chicago (a couple hours south of my teenage home), I've been a season ticket holder before (lost an 2000 MLS Cup Final bet to my Wizard fan girlfriend from St. Joseph), I still buy the merch, and I still come to KC about once a year for BBQ, fireworks, and the WIZARDS. Keep it that way. Can't wait to come down more for the new stadium. Hopefully your roof comes with a retractable middle-finger to all the people who said you should be moved. ;)