The Real Reboot Thread: Road to WC22

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aderthan

Aderthan Member+

Schwarz weiss essen
    Germany
    Nov 17, 2020
    When Germany was beaten by Nord Macedonia , Heynckes should be hired immediately as the interim coach until the end of Euro. What a legend he is, he could play 4-4-2 against England and still gonna beat them.

Ator, rj123 and Ger90 repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But he is not the coach now. Flick is. But now that EURO 2020 is over, Germany need to set their sights on World Cup qualifying. Period. This is a new Era of German football which means bringing in more younger players and being more creative with your guys' football. Which U21s come in or which forgotten players come back into the side?

3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    my fav German coach of all time is Jupp Heynckes. Shocking how shitty ego maniac players at Real Madrid turned on him even with him winning CL....

Ator and Aderthan repped this.
  4. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    IIRC I read the reason Heynckes was let go despite winning the CL was because he failed to win the league.

Shows how important domestic leagues were before the media circus elevated the CL to its current status.

Ger90 repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    its also because he lost locker room too.

A week before Real Madrid won the Champions League final in 1998 , Jupp Heynckes worked a little “blue” when describing his feelings toward the team. The legendary coach had some choice words for team president Lorenzo Sanz on why he could not work with the squad and described some of the players in a less than flattering light. This is how Sanz described the incident:

A week before playing Juventus I called Jupp and asked him how he was doing, he told me that he was deflated and that he wouldn’t work with the team. I asked him how he couldn’t work with the team and told him that he’d then left me deflated. I then had to gather seven or eight of the more important players and tell them that Jupp felt he couldn’t work with them, that they were sons of bitches and that he couldn’t win with them.

BVBFNM repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Heynckes on Germany: "The incredible team spirit of 2014 was missing. You cannot have success this way. Mancini, Southgate, Luis Enrique and Hjulmand have prepared their teams well. It wasn't the case with Germany. Except the Portugal game, there was no passion, no emotion"

on Müller and Hummels return: "They needed more games before the tournament to fully integrate. They should have been brought back in March. Jérôme Boateng was the best defender in the league last season. I would have bought him back as well"

on Kroos' retirement: "We have to respect his decision. Toni has had a phenomenal career, won the biggest trophies and developed as a player and as a person. He's retiring at a high point, even though the Euros didn't go perfectly well"

"We are not producing full-backs like Breitner, Brehme or Lahm anymore. In addition, we don't have world class centre-backs and no strikers. We do have talented wingers Gnabry, Sané, Werner, but they have to offer more. Kai Havertz can have a future world class career"

"Big teams need a fixed point upfront.. A striker who is good with the ball, who receives the ball and combines with his teammates. Lewandowski is currently the prototype. Benzema as well"

Hansi has to improve the communication and the human side within the team, as he did at Bayern. The team needs renewing, they need young and talented players. They should go the same way as Italy"

"Niklas Süle, for example, If he works professionally and adjusts his lifestyle to his job, he would be a top class centre-back. He can take Lewandowski or Kimmich as an example"

on the most promising young players in Germany: "Havertz, Wirtz, Musiala, Baku. There are several interesting youngsters in the U21 team that won the Euros in June"

Although reality our more promosing fullbacks (Netz for quick example is seen as world class prospect for LB), CBs (more interesting is from 00-onwards) and CFs (98-onwards........bad from 89-97) still on young side. Same for AM/W (more 02-onwards+interesting prospects from 00-01 outside of a few names is pretty bad in 90s age groups......). A lot won't be ready for awhile.

But Havertz, Musiala, Wirtz, Baku are class and a lot of the U21 players could still be very useful too.

BorisG, Alex C, hava and 3 others repped this.
  7. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loved every word that Heynckes said…clearly criticized Loew without taking his name…

Blueberry_night, Ator and Ger90 repped this.
  8. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And he did it in 2 years - gives me hope that we can be a top competitor in WC 22.

Ger90 repped this.
  9. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Heynkes understatement ==> "He's retiring at a high point, even though the Euros didn't go perfectly well""

They were a disaster, man. Not a WC2018 disaster, but still a disaster.

10. rj123

rj123 Member

Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've said this before - good coaches can take a good group of players and make them an unbeatable team. Bad coaches can take a great team and turn them into trash.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting heynkes comments on Boatank

Ger90 repped this.
  12. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think the most important task Flick has is restoring Germany's ironclad mentality which was sadly lost during the Löw era.

ShadowX, Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  13. Ator

Ator Member

SC Freiburg
    Germany
    Mar 19, 2021
    Heynckes plus Rehhagel, the Lautern and Greece legend!!

Ger90 repped this.
  14. AdiD

AdiD Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Its always irritating hearing Löw talk about about the need of experience and that in 2024 some of our players might have enough experience,when players in the squad are not that young and played cl-finals etz. Then Löw needs like two years analyzing what went wrong instead of just benig honest and putting it the way Heynckes did that he did not manage to form a team with spirit and unity.

ShadowX, Ger90 and BVBFNM repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Kroos pointed out on Twitter he had the most final 1/3 entry passes in the tourney

We all know the 3-4-3 was crap - i don't see how Kroos can change that and Kroos incidentally looked fine in the 4-3-3 when Kimmich switched into midfield

I think we all agree that the team would have been better with the Bayern 3 and their style, but the idea Kroos is washed up seemed odd to me

Blueberry_night and Ger90 repped this.
  16. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interestingly I don't think we're far off from the best teams. Italy look strong, England seem to be same as 2018 but with a stronger bench.

We have alot of talent in the current set up and some up and coming outstanding talent in the younger guys like Dorsch, writz, Baku, Nmecha to use.

As with Boetang I agree with Heynckes he was arguably the best center back of last season and come the world cup qualifiers I'm certain Flick will use him

Ger90, AdiD and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I guess it will depend where Boa is playing?

18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good enough to be in a match squad at least?

19. AdiD

AdiD Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    not that many nationalteams i would like to switch squad with for the upcoming cups (maybe i am biased). France is probably the most obvious one, but we shall se what is happening with the likes of Benzema, Griezmann, Kante etz. I dont envy Englands central midfielders though the likes of Sterling, Kane etz. Italy have a nice midfield but so does Germany.

Ger90 and Ator repped this.
  20. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Germany has a great squad, the only thing missing is a cohesive strategy, but what I really want the most is that Flick restores Germany's ironclad fighting mentality, which has sadly been lost during the Löw era.

ShadowX, rj123, Alex C and 3 others repped this.
  21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    That is a short amount of time for Germany to turn it around...I think they need longer to turn it around

22. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A bit longer to actually win a trophy maybe but absolutely no reason why this squad can’t be competitive straight away. If Müller scores v England then we could have got to the final even with Low’s iffy system.

Under Flick, hopefully playing to the players strengths more there is no reason why we can’t compete with Italy, England, Spain, France, Portugal etc. Those teams are not a lot better then us (if at all) and now we have a better coach with a clearer idea of how to play.

Ger90 repped this.
  23. Aderthan

Aderthan Member+

Schwarz weiss essen
    Germany
    Nov 17, 2020
    At 2022 WC , Italy will be the favourite. In Donarumma they already have a world class gk, dude is the real deal. As for other team, the Belgians will be one of the contender as well. Germany under Flick will surely be different than Jogi's team, a lot will depends on whether Flick will be able to turn Kai as the real no 9 or maybe a newcomer striker will established himself as NT regular.

Alex C, Ger90 and Ofori repped this.
  24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah you guys can compete don't get me wrong but Germany's team just doesn't need a retooling. It needs an overhaul. Flick needs to bring more energy into this side which means more creativity by inserting youngsters whilst still having that experience.

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With a Kimmich-Goretzka midfield the dynamic of the team will be very different pretty much straight away I think, especially if Baku and Gosens can link up with Gnabry/Sané/Musiala etc down the wings.

We will have a lot of pace down the flanks, and more mobility in midfield.

Ger90 repped this.