The Real reasons why US invaded Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Colm, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I absolutely am prepared to believe this. I don't believe it b/c there's no evidence, other than circumstantial, to prove it. But the circumstantial evidence weighs heavily in the favor of this theory, does it not?

3. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If they were in there to to give democracy then they'd go to about other 30 nations around the world that have dicators ruling them wouldn't they?

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem is that these are great reasons to go to war, and if you go to war for these reasons you cannot say that these are the reasons or else you can never control Iraq. The government has to lie, but such lying is incompatible with democracy.

It's certainly is one of the failings of democracy. If the guys in charge are going to take it upon themselves to decide the right course of action, they at least have the responsibility to make sure they plan the action well and do everything they can to make sure it turns out as expected. But so far it looks like the Bush administration has fool themselves as well as America.

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    If you're so right, then why isn't gas 25 cent a gallon over here now? And why is the Euro still worth $1.20 and the pound sterling still worth $1.75?

Because you're wrong.

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because we are not getting oil out of Iraq at the moment because of the insurgency (you've heard of them, right?). Besides, the oil isn't for now anyway. The oil is for when Arabia passes their production peak.

7. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you just hit the nail on the head.

8. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You forgot to add: for an imperialistic state.

It's not like God told that the oil must be under US control or that the dollar should remain the only world's reserve currency.

You really think most of iraqis (even the "friendly" shiites and kurds) don't know this?

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I am convinced it is the correct theory, but as has been basically pointed out the answer to your question is because so far the action is at best not complete/ at worst has been a failure. At least on the terms offered in this thread.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Which will happen when you decide that you are making your own reality.

Want to hear God laugh?-- make a plan. Want to hear God spew his chocolate milk out his nose and all over the kitchen table? Make your own reality...

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Because Bush and the Texas oil cartel sadly "Missunderestimated" the situation. The cronies at halliburton are getting their share of the pot from their unopposed 'bid' for the work they do.

Do you really think that if they got all the oil they thought they were going to get, that you/we would see the difference in lower prices. Silly boy, they're not in it for you, they're in it to get what they can regardless who dies.
    Lives and tax dollars are paying their way into bigger profits.....for them!

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    What have these exchange rates got to do with whether the dollar is the pre-eminent reserve currency?

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why you old cynic you. Next you'll be suggesting that the huge profits to be made by the corporations whose owners shape Republican Party policy might have influenced the decision to go to war.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The US is not a "person". To understand why the US chose to invade Iraq, you have to study the various pressure groups who were promoting the idea in the first place. You have understand their motives, which are frankly not a secret.

This is not to suggest there was one motive that united them all. No. They were all united by a common tactical objective: takeover Iraq! For some, preoccupied with Israel, that project had one significance. For others, preoccupied with finding a new project to retain the loss of money and influence after the cold war for themselves or industry, the real motive was something else. And, for others still, there were strategic considerations relating to controlling the world's energy supplies and making sure no adverse party would have power to harm the US economy by controlling those resources and the dollar trade in them instead.

The "neocon" ideology basically gave cover for all these different and divergent interest groups. The basic of that ideology was to take the US on an imperialistic adventure. The end post read US domination of the region. Iraq was one tactical stop on a longer road.

The rest, about WMDs, terrorism, and the whole bit, were more diversions than explanations of what had made these folks interested in the project.

15. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    We should have taken over Iran instead.

16. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    If the objective was to take Iraqi oil as are own we could have done it any time we wanted even with the insurgency. If I was president I would have taken all their oil out of there stinking ground.

17. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Here we go. Our Iranian Energizer Bunny... it keeps going and going and going...

18. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think IM overestimates greatly the power and influence the likudniks had and have in the US admin yet this ppl exists.
    (let's name them this way, "proisraeli hardliner neocons tied to the likud party" is too long)

For the 1000th time.
    http://www.israeleconomy.org/strat1.htm
    Reading again the strategy i found something interesting

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Different groups with influence had different agendas. That was the point I made in my post. The overarching "plan" that met all those agendas was the one to take America on an imperial mention, as described in the PNAC.

As I have suggested many times, the Likudniks were only a part of this equation -- albeit at a critical time, an important one. Personally, I have long suspected, and suggested, that the Likudniks were going to be used and then discarded, since the wing of the Republican party in which they set up tent (and among groups they have done so) is actually the one you find latent and sometimes overt anti-semitism. Even among those who might be called Christian Zionists.

Incidentally, I believe this passage from the Clean Break is also interesting, as it tries to explain how the agenda of Israel can find new friends in quarters that ordinarily don't give a hoot about Israel per se.

20. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the real reason for the invasion was it would be a show of strength and IT WOULD BE EASY.

21. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    You are all wrong. The real reasons why US invaded Iraq was the president's daddy told him so. It's an act of winning daddy's approval. :D

22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Succinctly put! Mel has a nice link and thread started on just that.
    http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0715-13.htm

23. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was going to be my question...

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Because it creates an artificial demand for the US dollar resulting in a higher value than would be expected based on normal economic criteria. That said, the dollar is in fact higher that one would expect for an economy that requires well over half a trillion dollars in foreign credit per year.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    "Likudnik" is ridiculious for a several reasons, the most important being that they hold a variety of foreign policy positions that do not relate to Israel. Furthermore, they support positions that are in sharp contrast to Likud, including cutting American aid to Israel and preventing Israel from having good relations with China.