The Real Madrid News / Reviews / Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Phoenix Rising, Sep 3, 2015.

1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    What if the sporting director and Zidane disagree on transfers.. I rather have Zidane make all the calls actually.

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    What's the solution in your mind then?

MerlinRM repped this.
  3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think if you're somebody who has complained about 'continuity' at the club, then you can not be against a sporting director and also that he makes the final decision regarding transfers regardless what a coach wants. A coach is not 'continuity', far from it, a coach comes and goes in any club. A coach staying for 10 years is the exception, not the norm. How can any club let a passerby decide on transfers which affect the club in the long term?

A sporting director is the one in charge of that. He sets the foundation of the team and decides which players fit into that mold. He should even decide which coach fits the club. I have seen people comment what the club's 'plan' is when we're getting coaches that are far apart from each other regarding the tactical formation, that it's apparant there is no plan at all apart from Florentino's whim on any given day. Cue sporting director.

The problem is you need one who knows what he's doing, and who doesn't let the president or coach (or player) make decisions for him. That to me is the real problem, finding the right guy, because the answer for if having a sporting director is what the club needs couldn't be more obvious to me. We bought a player for 100 million just to put him on a different position. Hello.

Aimar 21, RMSocrates, Digital and 2 others repped this.
  4. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned before, would like to see us try and make a run at Monchi again.

raven3k repped this.
  5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's the thing that gets me. People really think that you can hire a former player with no experience in the football business (Pedja was an experienced player agent when he became sporting director, a very different case), and he'll get it together. Similar to how Zidane was instantly going to transform the team because he was a great player.

It's not about a sporting director, it's about the sporting director. Valdano didn't have much of a clue of what was going on in football in his last few years, he was simply stuck in talking about philosophical questions and being a yes man to Floren than doing anything else.

6. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A sporting director coming in the summer to partner with Zidane is much more ideal that Zidane getting full control.

7. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Fair enough, agreed.

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Of course, but as always, if the plan is to have Raul or somebody like that return to the capacity that Zidane was "working" in the club, then good night.

Last real sporting director was Pedja.

9. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Clearly with Florentino its unlikely we'll see "the" sporting director any time soon.

10. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #135 robnycus, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    I been reading your posts for quite sometime and honestly my conclusion is that according to you no one in football has a clue what he's doing except Benitez and that was only because he let Bale play 10 .
    Don't take it personal :)

11. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. Sentimental job offers have no place in this institution. Thankfully Raul said he wants to live in New York for 2-3 more years.

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we want a sporting director, we have to hire a sporting director. Hiring a former football player that has no clue how the business works is as good as having nobody.

Hiring a player when you're looking for somebody with business isight and planning capacity is like hiring an olympic swimmer when you just need a plumber.

There are rumours of multiple coaches lined up to take over. I don't think Zidane's future is as safe as most people here asume it is.

Sarcasm Bot repped this.
  13. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Great , if true, another new coach with the same people in place above him making decisions, can't wait!!!

Ahmadi8 and temesgen repped this.
  14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    . The rumors I read today is that Zidane wants Sterling and Kane for new project.

15. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. from The Sun, The Mirror, or....?

madridista_hr, Aimar 21, Shay Z and 5 others repped this.
  16. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    My reaction exactly.

madridista_hr, Shay Z and Digital repped this.
  17. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    #142 robnycus, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Rumors are just that..they can be as credible as the club already looking for candidates to replace ZZ ..

J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all rumors are created equal, we all know that.

libertao and MerlinRM repped this.
  19. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rumors I saw today include Zidane getting full control this summer to get who he wants and Florentino has given him to ok to bench any big name.

20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not named Ronaldo or Bale or Benzema. Not that the latter 2 deserve to be benched, just saying we live or die by the BBC. Lately it's mostly dying

21. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    In a less-than perfect world, we sell the first two, then buy Neymar and Pogba.

---- Benzema ---
    Neymar---------
    ---James/Isco---
    Modric----Pogba
    ------Kroos------

James/Isco would play centrally but with fredom to go left or right, Pogba would box-t0-box patrol the right, Modric covers Neymar at the left, Neymar with freedom all over the pitch. There would of course need to be quality subs added.

EDIT: Disclaimer, this is just an example of a team. It isn't necessarily my preferred lineup or personnel and it is not even realistic for next season.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Very true. Especially at this club. But at least we all agree that we need someone in that position. I'm no fan of Jose but he was coach and GM both for us and in my opinion he didn't do a bad job. It worked.

If we get a new guy he doesn't have to hit a home run on every player but i'm sure the right guy can do a much better job than Floro has done recently. I've never seen us so disjointed.

I don't know the inner relationships of these people but i think that if Pedja got the call he would come back. He wouldn't say no. He doesn't have any serious beef with Floro although being a Calderon hire might put him in bad light with Floro but it really shouldn't. We are in trouble and i hope that Floro realizes it or else we'll be in serious shit.

We really need to be smart over the next 6 months if we are to dig ourselves out of this hole. Can't keep making the same mistakes and wishing we'll hit it big. A positive amongst all the crap is that at least we have the resources to fix our problems.

23. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Pedja retired from playing and two years later he was sporting director.
    What are the special qualifications one must have to become one ?
    Zidane is more than qualified to know which players make sense under his system .

24. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Faaaaaaaaaakkkkk... Modric and Marcelo injured too.

25. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    :ROFLMAO:

Bernabeu will be on fire tomorow.