The Real Madrid News / Reviews / Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Phoenix Rising, Sep 3, 2015.

1. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I'm mostly concerned about the model, we should have an identifiable system and bring in players who compliment that vision. That is compatible with marketing btw but I'd like to see less square pegs in round holes.

S1na, Raul Madrid, Digital and 1 other person repped this.
  2. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    S1na repped this.
  3. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He isn't saying anything new. Although I don't necessarily agree we need an exact replica of Makalele at the club to be successful.

I find it ironic he talks about Modric/Kroos needing some help in the midfield then goes on to trash Isco. His argument is that he doesn't score or assist and thats why he prefers James. So being one of the only players on the team to break down an opposing defense by dribbling or keeping the ball when pressed isn't important nor is tracking back and providing real defense.

Not saying Isco has been great but his interview seems to be a contradiction.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  4. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #104 Estel, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    I think Helguera is correct in the essence i.e. a team's defending needs to start from the midfield, where he is lacking at is I think in the assumption that this can only be done by putting a destroyer type midfielder in the middle, one who would do nothing but win the ball back. That's the contradiction in his understanding IMO since such a midfielder is then equally easy for opponents to pressure when on the ball.

For me, in order to be stronger defensively, we need to sacrifice an attacker from amongst the BBC. This can be achieved without losing our offensive edge by playing a classic 10 as a 4th midfielder (thus both putting more bodies in midfield while achieving offensive thrust) rather than using him to replace on of the front three. All the while keeping the other midfielders in defensive positions. This would bring the best out of the midfield IMO, since these are the kind of midfielders that we have in abundance i.e. those who like to play centrally.

Frankly, I would be really keen to see something like the below being tried out -

upload_2016-2-18_22-24-31.png

Of course, the third attacker from the BBC who is dropped (Benzema in the above case), can always play if one of the starters is injured or off-form or just come on as a substitute for the starter who is not performing in that particular game. Maybe I'm too optimistic in thinking that Zidane can get away with resting/dropping/subbing any of the BBC though, or in thinking that that he might even consider it (remembering his words immediately after taking over from Benitez).

Halycon, J-Mezzy and Phoenix Rising repped this.
  5. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Redondo and Makele were not just destroyers they also had vision and were very technical players.
    I don't understand how some here feel that spending on a player with these qualities is not beneficial to the team.
    Barca has Busquets and they are playing the best football in the last two years and they are not a defensive team.
    Modric who is perhaps our most technical player is also the one who defends the most and recovers more balls in the midfield. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I don't think it's a matter of being beneficial or not, but rather, who those players are and are they being made available by their respective clubs.

Digital and Phoenix Rising repped this.
  7. dannyb123

dannyb123 Red Card

Dec 14, 2014
    Been saying this for some time, makes perfect sense to play 2 out of 3 of the bbc for various reasons

- Reducing their minutes to help keep them fresh + minimising chance of injury
    - Promotes competition between the 3 players for who will be selected for the most important matches
    - Most importantly allows a 4 man midfield... the current crop in midfield simply are not good enough with 3 in the engine room vs tough opponents.

Although unfortunately common sense is rarely followed at Madrid. Seems perez and co are fixated on playing 433 because of the MSN, when its clearly not the best solution for this squad

Kante

8. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    That is another discussion but if I was in charge of this club I would invest in scouting and getting someone with those skills for long term success.
    These are players who were groomed to be defenders first and develop attacking/possession skills second. Not the other way around, which is what we have.

9. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Why do you think this has anything to do with MSN? Seems like 4-3-3 is used because Cristiano insists on playing on the left. He doesnt press or defend, therefore 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 cant be the first choice against the better teams. I think we might be able get away with a Bayern type 4-2-3-1 if we dropped both Isco and James though.

Benz
    CR7 ----- Kroos ----- Bale
    Casemiro - Modric​

10. dannyb123

dannyb123 Red Card

Dec 14, 2014
    Because of the fixation on the acronym BBC and the fact they only ever play 433 even though its clearly not working for this squad. As you show Ronaldo can play on the left in other formations but when was the last time ANY other formation was chosen other than 433? I agree Ronaldo is also a major factor, but watch, 433 will be here to stay to the end.

11. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    4-2-3-1 was used under Mourinho and 4-4-2 was used heavily under Carlo.

Phoenix Rising repped this.
  12. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #112 Phoenix Rising, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    There is no fixation on the BBC acronym. :ROFLMAO: Atleast not within the club. Thinking otherwise is just nuts. Madrid is a football club worth 3b+ euros... not a corny catchphrase shop. Give the club more credit than that, lol.

Anyway, that 4-2-3-1... If Cristiano doesn't support build up or press/defend, guess what? In effect, it becomes a 4-3-3 again because Kroos will spend more time on Casemiro's left instead of playing the same #10 role he did under Heynckes, no?

temesgen repped this.
  13. dannyb123

dannyb123 Red Card

Dec 14, 2014
    Under Carlo 442 wasn't used when the bbc were fully fit if I recall. Mourinho didn't manage the full bbc
    a poorly run 3bn euro football club. 433 is the only choice of formation with a fully fit squad even when it doesn't work lol

14. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Madrid is the best run football club in the world when looking at the overall picture (sporting, financial, and infrastructure). I can't see how anyone would say otherwise. Improvements can definitely be made on the sporting side, so if you're referring to that then you should be specific in what you're sayng.

15. dannyb123

dannyb123 Red Card

Dec 14, 2014
    If improvements can be made on the sporting side then it's not the best run club in the world is it. And yes I was referring to the sporting side and gave a specific example... The manager can't change the formation from 433 even if he wants to... Especially important when the 3 man midfield has failed time and time again. If it's Perez interfering with unnecessary politics then again it's a reason why the club is not well run

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And right now I think this is beyond whoever the manager happens to be at the time, the problem has remained the same for years, with a little break in the middle ( maybe Moooo had a bit more say)

MerlinRM, J-Mezzy and temesgen repped this.
  17. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Before we start over-reminiscing about the old days of Makelele and Redondo (2 of my faves), recall that we lost more league games back then and had just as difficult of a time in some CL matchups. There was a time when Busquets didn't play so well either. I'd like to think overarching themes and evolution in tactics/management/players (physique, technique, specialization) have affected a lot of what we consider "midfield domination".

S1na, RMSocrates, temesgen and 1 other person repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    AS has an article showing the 6 keys (or key mistakes) for the bad season.

1. Bad pre season. Too much flying around, not good enough in physical preparation.

2. Medical Team (Doctor Olmo in particular). 21 injuries so far this season.

3. Coaching change from Carlo to Rafa. Apparently traumatized the squad.

4. No sporting direction. Too many midfield players.

5. James. From potential Balon d'Or to being substituted early for Lucas Vasquez, huge drop in performance level.

6. Performance drop from key players. Ramos, Ronaldo and Kroos way behind their regular level. With Bale playing well but being injured for so much only Marcelo, Modric and Benzema maintened a high level according to AS.

Las 6 claves del desastre del Madrid: gira, médicos, James...

In spanish only but AS will surely post an english version in the next few days.

19. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure on the third point but hard to disagree on everything else.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, everything else is either safe to say, or at least debatable. The third one sounds bogus ot me how guys that play football since they are kids have been traumatized by Carlo leaving. They've all left their own clubs to join Madrid, they know it's a business first hand.

21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Spot on.

Need a sporting direction this summer. Bring in a sporting director that will sit down with the coach and go through how he wants the team to play next year and moving forward, and go out and find the right players to fit that system.

22. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Don't disagree with this but I think the problem is deeper. Flo had a sporting director before and it was not a recipe for success. The coach and director can talk all day about who they want but if the president has his heart set on a particular player it complicates things.

23. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious about #2. How does the quality of our medical team fare? Does that group need to be shaken up? I remember hearing some sketchy reports a couple months ago.

24. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Which is why we hope that Zizou's status (him being almost always talked about as the favorite "galactico" as well as being Flo's advisor for a couple of years) will change how things are working and Perez may let Zizou & the sporting director handle the "model" this time, becaue honestly I see this as the only possible way to shift our direction away from the failures over the past years.

25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As if hiring a sporting director means success across the board with transfers and the squad.

Even there it get's down to relationships with agents, and tons of other aspects.